English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 August 2016, 18:31   #1
Wrangler

Help: Cybervision 64 died on me

My CV64 has suddenly stopped working. Anyone any ideas how to diagnose/fix it? Details:

• Was working fine including passthrough.
  • Turned it on later the same day (with no fiddling around in between) and no signal from it.
  • Passthrough continues to work though.
  • Reinstalling CGX 4 or P96 results in either no signal (except passthrough) or a hard system crash.
  • Board shown as working fine in Showconfig etc
  • I've cleaned all the Zorro contacts with IPA and ensured the socketed chips are all firmly seated (they were).
  • Removed all other Zorro cards - makes no difference. Checked another Zorro card works (it does) in case the daughter board had died.
This is the 4Mb version in an A4000D.

Any thoughts on what to do next? Parts of the card appear to be working but not the crucial bit.

Thanks
Old 14 August 2016, 22:24   #2
-Acid-

My CV64/3D has done the exact same thing on me. System sees the card and the scan doubler works fine but if you tried to load a monitor driver the system completely locks up with a little graphics corruption on it's way out. I changed nothing and one day I ran an old file compressor called Impolder and the system crashed, upon reboot I get the above symptoms and no matter what I try to do it will not work (it's put me off using my Amiga being honest). I hope if you get a solution it will apply to me as well.
Old 15 August 2016, 04:33   #3
mech

I have seen this on a few cv64's in the past and usually removing each chip, cleaning its contacts,and inspecting the socket will bring it back up. Pushing on them usually does nothing,they need to be removed and cleaned,reinstalled. If this does not help, look for bad socket soldering. good luck
Old 15 August 2016, 08:44   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@OP
Sadly unless you want to de-solder a lot of stuff - the only thing to can affect is the 2MB Memory in sockets - I would humbly suggest removing this and seeing how it goes with just 2MB.
Old 16 August 2016, 20:12   #5
Wrangler

Thanks for the suggestions! Sadly, removing 2Mb made no difference, nor did cleaning the chips and sockets and replacing. I probably need to do this more thoroughly when I have more time at the weekend, but do I need to set any jumpers when operating with 2Mb or does the card automatically recognise this?

I also need to have a good look for dry joints - haven't seen anything obvious but I need to put more time into this.
Old 17 August 2016, 19:31   #6
buggs

The problem with RAM chips jumping out of their sockets also happened to me. I was wondering why the card was showing occasional graphics artifacts. Re-seating the socketed RAM chips helped in my case.

The cybervision should detect the available RAM automatically, IIRC. So in this case, I think that the card needs close inspection with an oscilloscope and/or a logic analyzer.

While working on my A4k lately, I noticed that the chips on the CV64 produce quite some warmth. It might be that one of the IC's died from effects like electromigration or just some stray spark (did you have your A4k recapped?). Another possibility is that the one or other solder point came off.

A rudimentary test for the graphics card could be conducted by booting Linux. The CV64 has been supported in m68k Linux in the 90's and the Penguin should use only the basic framebuffer capabilities. Maybe that test might give additional clues...
Old 18 August 2016, 22:06   #7
Wrangler

Buggs - that's very helpful although some of this is beyond my competency! Let me see where I get to with the simpler things and see where that gets me. Otherwise, I'll be back!
Old 20 August 2016, 22:04   #8
Wrangler

Update: it would seem the CV64 is fine after all. I moved it over to my A4kT and after some fiddling about to install it, it worked no problem.

But, it still doesn't work in the A4kD. Sooooo, any thoughts one what could be fouling up on the A4k itself? Eg could this be a sign that recapping is needed (this computer is a recent acquisition so I don't know if/when it was last recapped)?
Old 20 August 2016, 23:41   #9
-Acid-

That doesn't sound good for me then as my board was recapped earlier this year.
Old 21 August 2016, 02:25   #10
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
Update: it would seem the CV64 is fine after all. I moved it over to my A4kT and after some fiddling about to install it, it worked no problem.

But, it still doesn't work in the A4kD. Sooooo, any thoughts one what could be fouling up on the A4k itself? Eg could this be a sign that recapping is needed (this computer is a recent acquisition so I don't know if/when it was last recapped)?
I had issues with mine not working as the on board oscillator was loose. After cleaning and securing it on there better it fixed the issue.
Old 21 August 2016, 10:24   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post

A good inspection sir - any dull (without shiny solder legs / leads) areas around the capacitors is a dead give away - also any domed tops to the capacitors - if there is any fishy type smell from the board - it is a give away that the capacitors have or are leaking

IF you are not to sure - there are services that aren't too bad in terms of price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
That doesn't sound good for me then as my board was recapped earlier this year.
I had a thought about this problem from another angle - its is entirely possible there is an issue with the governing pixel clock - replacing it is quite inexpensive and is another check off the list of possible issues.

In regards to changing slots or systems - it is entirely possible that the ports on one machine have more oxidation on the connectors inhibiting proper operation. If you have replaced the capacitors to a good standard on both the motherboard and daughter-board - then it is most likely oxide build up on the socket contacts.