English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 August 2016, 00:44   #1
Ratteler

DF0 Switch? What kind?

I'm looking to buy or make a DFO switch.
I really hate the ugly metal toggles. I just bought a bunch of nice, white simple on/of switches, but looking at the pictures o the DFO switches out there, they seem to be at least DPST switches.

Can any one confirm this for me so I can order a better looking switch for my DF0 Switch.

Ideally I would like to be able to keep the internal Floppy as DF1 and use an external SD Floppy emulator as DF0. Then reverse then with the throw of a switch.

Any schematic or parts help would be great.

Last edited by Ratteler; 12 August 2016 at 00:54.
Old 15 August 2016, 16:06   #2
Daedalus

To do that you need a DPDT switch, since you've 2 signals to swap - the DF0: SEL and the DF1: SEL. To just use DF1: as DF0: you just need a SPDT switch.

If you don't like toggle switches, DPDTs are available as slide (example), rocker (example) or pushbutton (example) switches too. The example links are for Farnell / Element 14 and should have the same parts listed in their US catalogue.

These will let you swap over the SEL0 and SEL1 lines, effectively swapping over the two drives.
Old 16 August 2016, 02:03   #3
Ratteler

Thanks for the reply.

But are you sure about that. The DPDT switches I've looked at seem to be 3 position On/Off/On switches. I pretty sure I need a DPST switch.
Dual Pole Single Throw vs. Dual Pole Dual Throw.

After all, the "Off" position really makes no sense. "Off" in our context would be the Internal Floppy being used as DF0, and "On" would be swapping DF0 with DF1.

Unless I went for a system in which "OFF" meant the system had no floppy at all.
I don't know why I would want that.

The dual poles would be SEL0 and SEL1. "Off" would be SEL0 and SEL1 normal. "On" would be SEL1 and SEL0 swapped.

Am I wrong?
Old 16 August 2016, 09:47   #4
Daedalus

The on-off-on configuration of a switch is independent of its terminal configuration - you can get on-off-on, on-on, (on)-off-on and (on)-off-(on) switches, all in DPDT or SPDT. The middle off position is optional and for this use case you would just want a plain on-on switch.

You need the dual pole for setting the two select lines to where you want them, and the dual throw for selecting where to route those signals. Each throw represents a drive that the signal can be routed to, so you need both or the drives won't work at all in one switch position.