English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 February 2019, 05:44   #21
Hewitson

WinRAR is lame. Better to use 7zip, free and open source.
Old 03 February 2019, 07:43   #22
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
WinRAR is lame. Better to use 7zip, free and open source.
Except its drag-n-drop is broken.
Old 03 February 2019, 08:03   #23
chip

Is Winrar able to uncompress .LZX files ?
Old 03 February 2019, 09:04   #24
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I don't know. But I do know that .rar files don't work properly as mounted archive drives in WinUAE, so I guess WinRAR will be used just for drag'n'drop.
Old 03 February 2019, 09:51   #25
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yup, I don't use any other compression software on Windows.
WinRAR is all anyone should need
It is better choice, i use it for many things, for example to create stand-alone setups, once when there was no unlocker I used it to delete details
Old 03 February 2019, 10:18   #26
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
No, it can unpack LZX, it can unpack LHA and handle the dragging of files stored in LHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
But I do know that .rar files don't work properly as mounted archive drives in WinUAE.
No that .rar files work properly as mounted archive drives in WinUAE, to do this you must have the library "unrar.dll" on WinUAE

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 03 February 2019 at 10:26.
Old 03 February 2019, 10:51   #27
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
No that .rar files work properly as mounted archive drives in WinUAE, to do this you must have the library "unrar.dll" on WinUAE
No, thanks. I've managed fine with zips for a while now, they work without extra libraries.
Old 03 February 2019, 10:58   #28
AMIGASYSTEM

You do not need to install anything, simply copy the file "unrar.dll" inside the WinUAE folder or Plugins subfolder, done this you can drag zipped ADF files or drag ZIP archives to the Workbench. If you need "unrar.dll" I can attach the file

RAR4 or better RAR5 compresses much more than ZIP
Old 03 February 2019, 11:06   #29
Foebane

Quote:
You do not need to install anything, simply copy the file "unrar.dll" inside the WinUAE folder or Plugins subfolder, done this you can drag zipped ADF files or drag ZIP archives to the Workbench. If you need "unrar.dll" I can attach the file

RAR4 or better RAR5 compresses much more than ZIP
It's OK, thanks. As of now I've been able to reduce my ISO size by 21% simply by zipping up uncompressed files and, what's more, being able to still use them when compressed. It's more than enough for me and I'm happy that I've solved a long-standing problem.
Old 03 February 2019, 11:52   #30
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
It's OK, thanks. As of now I've been able to reduce my ISO size by 21% simply by zipping up uncompressed files and, what's more, being able to still use them when compressed. It's more than enough for me and I'm happy that I've solved a long-standing problem.
Yes, but it also depends on how the AMiGA data is compacted. Once when i did not have HD, I compressed my OS all in one floppy (executable compression, libraries, fonts, all in short).
Watch my attached video, Floppy .DMS file 542 KB/.ADF 880K which contains a OS 3.0 + Pattern + Magic Workbench system (data unpacked 1.29 MB)

This floppy even if you compress it with ZIP or RAR you will not get any relevant compression.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 February 2019 at 22:48.
Old 03 February 2019, 12:15   #31
Foebane

Quote:
Yes, but it also depends on how the AMiGA data is compacted. Once when i did not have HD, I compressed my OS all in one floppy (executable compression, libraries, fonts, all in short).
Watch my attached video, Floppy .DMS file 542 KB/.ADF 880K which contains a OS 3.0 + Pattern + Magic Workbench system (data unpacked 1.29 MB)

This floppy even if you compress it with ZIP or RAR you will not get any relevant compression.
OK, so neither zip nor rar are optimised for Amiga data, but it's easier for me to zip up the files from Windows, rather than going into the emulation and doing it from there. I have other data apart from Amiga as well.

All of the games and most of the bigger demos I have are lha archives, and I usually download those and just rename them but aside from that, I don't modify them AT ALL. Since lha is (I assume) optimised for Amiga data, and they take up a huge chunk of space on the ISO (590Mb containing 8300+ files) then that's fine with me. The data I store in zips are much smaller by comparison.
Old 03 February 2019, 12:33   #32
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
OK, so neither zip nor rar are optimised for Amiga data, but it's easier for me to zip up the files from Windows.
Yes today with the HD certainly not convenient to compress on AmigaOS, on my disk I used two different compressors one for data and the other for executables, it is not normal compressions but self-extracting files (the floppy data are unpacked automatically when loading Amiga OS).
However, many demos and many Amiga games use this type of compaction, without the user noticing, you've ever seen color bars when loading games or demos, well that almost always indicates a decompression in RAM.
Old 03 February 2019, 20:06   #33
Foebane

Quote:
However, many demos and many Amiga games use this type of compaction, without the user noticing, you've ever seen color bars when loading games or demos, well that almost always indicates a decompression in RAM.
Oh, I'm familiar with "decrunching", yes. I know exactly what is going on, and how the data on some disks or files is already compressed and that once the program runs a small depacker at the start, it decompresses the rest and then it runs. This is how those tiny 64k and 4k Amiga demos work: the compressed file size has to be that size or less, but the decompressed data can be much more once it's decompressed into memory, this is why some of these tiny demos take a while to decompress, as they're very highly compacted. I would imagine that code in itself is impressive.

I know a lot of ADFs and EXEs have this functionality, but the size of an ADF file is usually always 880k, regardless of what's in it. EXEs are more efficient, but it never hurts to compress them still further with ZIP or RAR or 7-Zip even, or any compressor.
Old 03 February 2019, 20:18   #34
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I know a lot of ADFs and EXEs have this functionality, but the size of an ADF file is usually always 880k,.
Yes, the ADFs have a standard measure regardless of its contents, the .DMS instead are compressed floppy images and vary depending on the content and the compression state of the files. Someone says that the .DMS are unreliable, I have so many old CDs all in .DMS and even today after 30 years they are perfect, never had a problem in DMS/ADF conversion and never had problems to use them directly on on WinUAE.
Old 03 February 2019, 22:07   #35
Foebane

Quote:
Yes, the ADFs have a standard measure regardless of its contents, the .DMS instead are compressed floppy images and vary depending on the content and the compression state of the files. Someone says that the .DMS are unreliable, I have so many old CDs all in .DMS and even today after 30 years they are perfect, never had a problem in DMS/ADF conversion and never had problems to use them directly on on WinUAE.
I recently converted my remaining DMSs to ADF. I was concerned for the increase in file size, but ultimately now, everything is zipped or compressed anyway, so it doesn't matter.
Old 03 February 2019, 22:15   #36
chip

What is more convenient regarding the file size

The .DMS file or the conversion to .ADF zipped ?

Did you made some test about this ?
Old 03 February 2019, 22:49   #37
AMIGASYSTEM

For example, the Workbench 3.0 Standard floppy would have:

Workbench-3.0.ADF= 880 KB
Workbench-3.0.DMS= 380 KB

Workbench-3.0.ADF-To-ZIP=365 KB
Workbench-3.0.DMS-To-ZIP=375 KB

Workbench-3.0.ADF-To-RAR4=321 KB
Workbench-3.0.DMS-To-RAR4=380 KB

Workbench-3.0.ADF-To-RAR5=321 KB
Workbench-3.0.DMS-To-RAR5=376 KB
Old 03 February 2019, 23:17   #38
chip

I see, so it's better to zip/rar the resulting ADF
Old 03 February 2019, 23:30   #39
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes no doubt, it depends on what you need to do, the .DMS files were and are convenient when you need to write an image on an Amiga Reale floppy via Floppy PC (720). On Amiga models with 1MB of Ram with DMS images in many cases it was possible to do the operation without problems.
Old 03 February 2019, 23:48   #40
chip

The only case in my mind when ADF is preferable to DMS is when you must rip data from NODOS disks

Indeed in this case it's mandatory to have an "unpacked" disk image