spaceodyssey

Okay thanks
I got from here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=87810
Where's the latest latest?
Cheers,
Chris
Old 06 January 2018, 12:48   #22
Tomislav

On that thread click last page and check every message back until you find it.

Or go on http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=285 for latest b16 which is latest I know while typing this.
Old 06 January 2018, 15:04   #23
DamienD
Global Moderator

No, this is the latest test release: http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z

Use this file spaceodyssey
Old 06 January 2018, 15:08   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No. It is alpha version and should be only used when specifically asked. (To test latest modifications before next beta release)
Old 06 January 2018, 17:46   #25
spaceodyssey

here is latest log

Thanks for your help.
Here's the log from the latest beta
Cheers,
Chris
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (16.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 06 January 2018, 18:54   #26
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT: 28.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.01.00. OK (512 bytes)
IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT: 28.00.00.00.00.01.00.00.01.00. OK (512 bytes)
CHS0=1 CHS1=1
Thanks.

It looks like "invalid" CHS read also succeeded so it didn't do any extra CHS tests. I guess adapter probably does some "active" conversions. Or perhaps adapter actually does proper CHS<>LBA conversion.

Next step: download http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z (now it is time for experimental stuff ) and click read identity again. This version tries to dump first 256 blocks of the drive to winuaebootlog.txt (in hex/string format).

Hopefully there is something that makes sense (for example normal RDB partition table data).

But manually check it first using any text editor, there is small chance it also dumps partial file contents which may contain data you don't want others to see.
Old 06 January 2018, 19:23   #27
spaceodyssey

More logging info

Can't see any secrets, looks promising to my untrained eye
Cheers!
Old 06 January 2018, 19:26   #28
spaceodyssey

too big

attached this time
Attached Files
File Type: 7z winuaebootlog.7z (48.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 06 January 2018, 20:29   #29
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks.

This is interesting, invalid CHS values return some garbage or previously loaded data instead of errors.. Toshiba's site says this drive has 38 sectors and it matches dumped data (Sectors 1 to 38=$26), first garbage block is sector number 39. ($27)

Unfortunately after that it gets confusing. Suddenly there are duplicate sectors but perhaps it happens because drive gets confused by invalid sector numbers.

Finally, at the very end is head test, second head (h=1) shows expected LSEG block but then all following heads return garbabe. Documentation says it should have 8 heads. It is also possible that it is actual garbage stored on drive.

This makes autodetection impossible but imaging should work fine if geometry is entered manually. I'll add manual geometry dumping option soon..

But before that one more test: redownload (make sure exe date has changed) and create log yet again. I changed dumping slightly, now it always first reads block 0, then requested block. Easier to see if read succeeded or not, failed read = block 0 data is logged.
Old 06 January 2018, 21:06   #30
spaceodyssey

Latest latest

Thanks for your help
Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: 7z winuaebootlog.7z (25.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 06 January 2018, 21:37   #31
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks. Everything is clear now. Garbage comes from the drive (unused parts of partition table).
Old 07 January 2018, 13:19   #32
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

winuae.7z updated. Now "Create hard disk image" button tests first if READ CAPACITY returns invalid value and if it does, it asks for CHS values and then attempts to create correct image.

Please test. Your drive geometry is: C=842 H=8 S=38. Imaging is probably quite slow because it reads single sectors.
Old 07 January 2018, 16:10   #33
mark_k

It should be possible to use multiple-sector transfers if/when you're certain this special reading method works. Up to the IDE limit of 256 sectors might work, but the USB bridge firmware could have a lower limit. (For example, it might split READ commands into 32KB chunks, in which case each READ you issue couldn't be larger than that.)
Old 07 January 2018, 18:05   #34
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I wanted to keep it as simple as possible to be able to see most problems easily in the logs and also it is probably best to read sector by sector if there are bad sectors.

At least CHS-only drives are tiny
Old 07 January 2018, 21:30   #35
spaceodyssey

Yes!

It took a fair while, but worked flawlessly! Thanks very much for all your help.

At first I thought none of my games would run (including a terrible thing I made myself), then I remembered A600 you really needed 2MB when you got a hard disk.

This sort of shows then that it's my A600 that's a bit broken, not the disk - it won't boot with this hard drive.

Everything seems to work great!
Toni you are a genius!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amigascreenshot.png
Views:	72
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	56142  
Old 07 January 2018, 21:51   #36
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Nice, I didn't expect it to work so well Hopefully it also works with other adapters.

Could you do it one more time and check that dump still works and is identical? (winuae.7z updated)

I changed it to read all sectors at once which should increase performance noticeably. I wanted to know that sector by sector read works first before I'll do any optimizations.
Old 07 January 2018, 22:22   #37
spaceodyssey

Works fine with the new one.
Files output exactly same size, both boot up and everything looks fine.
I didn't find it much faster, although I didn't time. 120mb took a "few" minutes.
It may well have been quicker, just I didn't notice huge change.
If you want me to time it, or do any other experiments, let me know.
Cheers
Old 17 January 2018, 21:56   #38
mark_k

Suggestions for future improvements to this nice feature:

Many cheap USB-IDE/SATA adaptors which look like this one use a JMicron USB-IDE chip. At least, a couple of similar-looking adaptors I bought a few years ago do. There's a vendor-specific way to issue arbitrary ATA commands so you could get IDENTIFY DEVICE data (to automatically detect correct C/H/S geometry). [Also, some Conner(?) drives as shipped in A600s require that INITIALIZE DRIVE PARAMETERS be issued before reading/writing sectors. That could be achieved too.]

You could use the vendor-specific ATA passthrough to read/write sectors, or (probably easier) just continue doing what you do now (passing C/H/S fields in READ 10 CDB).

smartmontools and hdparm support JMicron ATA passthrough. Typical JMicron-based adaptor USB IDs seem to be (hex) 152D:2329/2336/2338/2339, though manufacturers are probably free to change that. I can type up info on how it works (from reading the source of those programs) if needed.

You could also allow full read/write access to the drive in emulation. I've pasted some untested skeleton CDB-conversion code below. [I'm hoping to add that feature to ddpt to allow easy old-IDE-drive imaging on Linux.]

Code:
// CDB: Pointer to normal 6- or 10-byte READ or WRITE CDB
// NewCDB: Pointer to 10-byte buffer for converted CDB
// (If CDB is a 10-byte command, NewCDB can point to that to modify in-place.)
// num_cyls, num_heads, sectors_per_track: drive geometry
//
// TODO: Also support SEEK (6) and SEEK (10). Could also support READ/WRITE (12).
//
bool Create_CHS_CDB(uint8_t *CDB, uint8_t *NewCDB, uint16_t num_cyls, uint8_t num_heads, uint8_t sectors_per_track) {
	uint32_t desired_lba, total_sectors;
	uint16_t transfer_len;

uint16_t cyl;
	uint8_t head;
	uint8_t sector;

uint8_t opcode;

// Check that the specified geometry is valid
	if (!num_cyls || !num_heads || !sectors_per_track || num_heads > 16)
		return error;

// Extract LBA and transfer length
	opcode = CDB[0];	
	if (opcode == 0x08 || opcode == 0x0A) {
		desired_lba = (CDB[1]&0x1F)<<16 | CDB[2]<<8 | CDB[3];
		transfer_len = !CDB[4] ? 256 : CDB[4];
	} else if (opcode == 0x28 || opcode == 0x2A) {
		desired_lba = CDB[2]<<24 | CDB[3]<<16 | CDB[4]<<8 | CDB[5];
		transfer_len = CDB[7]<<8 | CDB[8];
	} else
		return error;	// Invalid command opcode

// Transfer length must be between 1 and 256 sectors
	if (!transfer_len || transfer_len > 0x100)
		return error;

// Don't allow out-of-bounds access
	total_sectors = num_cyls * num_heads * sectors_per_track;
	if (desired_lba >= total_sectors || desired_lba + transfer_len > total_sectors)
		return error;

// Calculate cylinder, head and sector corresponding to the desired LBA
	cyl = desired_lba / (sectors_per_track * num_heads);
	head = (desired_lba / sectors_per_track) % num_heads;
	sector = desired_lba % sectors_per_track;

// Build the converted CDB
	NewCDB[0] = opcode | 0x20;		// READ(6)->READ(10), WRITE(6)->WRITE(10)

// NewCDB[1] = CDB[1] & 0b11100000;	// LUN in bits [7:5]
	NewCDB[1] = 0;				// LUN field should probably be 0

NewCDB[2] = head;
	NewCDB[3] = cyl >> 8;
	NewCDB[4] = cyl & 0xFF;
	NewCDB[5] = sector + 1;	// Value for sector number register is 1-based

NewCDB[6] = 0;	// Always 0

NewCDB[7] = 0;	// Upper byte of transfer length always 0 here
	NewCDB[8] = transfer_len & 0xFF;	// 0 when transfer_len is 256

NewCDB[9] = 0;	// Always 0

return success;
}
Old 17 January 2018, 23:10   #39
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I have this: http://www.suntekpc.com/htm-2/gc-usb...eed-series.htm (found via google image search, I can't be 100% sure it is same but it looks same, white label is missing but USB cable, shape and color is identical)

It only has crystal and single tiny chip with "U320" marking. Not much help.. Will test more after 3.6 is out. I only remember that device required powered up drive, without drive USB device won't get detected.
Old 18 January 2018, 18:09   #40
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbi View Post
Hello everybody,

I just booted my old Amiga 4000 a couple of days ago and was positively surprised that both harddrives where still working and the Amiga was booting up.

So I just have to backup everything on my PC...a lot of history on those ~500MB

As I found out, the best way to achieve this, is to connect the drive(s) using an USB-Adapter to your PC and use WinUae to boot an Amiga and do the backup.

Now there is my problem: I cannot get WinUae to recognize my harddisks.

There are three behaviours.

Using the latest WinUae, running as normal user, the drive is there ("H3256-A3...") with "ACCESS DENIED", which is normal as I learnt

Using the latest WinUae, running as Administrator, all Windows drives are there, but the Amiga Drive is not listed.

Using an old WinUae 1.61, running as Administrator, my Amiga Drive is there, but with a size of 0k. I can do "Add Harddrive", but it shows with n/a Device, Volume, Block Size and BootPri. It does not boot the Amiga, and when booting with WB 3.1 the drive is not there.

I have the identical behaviour with two drives (IBM 240 and 320MB). The drives work fine in the Amiga, no problems whatsoever. The drives are - as far as I remember - normal FFS and connected to the 4000s IDE Port.

My PC runs Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

Any ideas what could the problem? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Greetings Sabbi,

About 3 years ago or so I powered on my A4000 Desktop also but wasn't really surprised that the hard drives still function well. Okay, there was SOME wonderment, but since stuff was made really well back then AND because hardware then had a really good life span, why not? I, too, was very excited and thrilled when I saw my Workbench (very modified Amiga)..and my CyberStormPPC functioning exactly as it should.

I agree, a lot of great times in the 80's and 90's to slightly after 2000. Anyway, not long after that I got a hold of a CompactFash connector for IDE from Amiga-Kit. Then, later, because it seemed it might be faster, and it supports the SCSI of my CSPPC I got the SCSI2SD V2. I recreated my Hard Drives on CF and MicroSD, then I used WinUAE 3.3.0.0 (at the time) to dump those with a USB CompactFlash and MicroSD reader.
For fun, I also bought a USB connector that supports ATA and SATA by Sabrent. NOT the most stable USB connector...argh, but I finally got it to allow access to my older Hard Drives to make direct dumps...which are now put away with my Amiga 500 with documents how to use them again if needed.
Welcome back to the Amiga. I'm sure you'll have Fun as most of us have...I know I've been enjoying the return a LOT....for the computer sake, never mind nostalgia...the computer and OS are fantastic still. Windows and Mac, for me anyway, still aren't as "fun"....though I use them daily (Won't go Windows 10 unless absolutely forced).

Cheers!