English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 January 2019, 23:28   #1
JomSpoons

Question The Town With No Name: Proper Settings?

Hello there! I apologize if this has been asked before, but I could not find an answer to my question anywhere.

I'd like to play through the now infamous Town With No Name for the CDTV. I was able to get the game running fine in WinUAE except for the character voices which are completely mute. I've heard a lot of people have had this same issue, and I cannot figure out how to fix it or find how anyone else fixed it. I've seen other people emulate the game properly before so there definitely is some way to do it, I'm just unsure how.

I read that using version 2.1.0 of WinUAE might fix it but it didn't for me. Currently I'm using 4.1.0 and I've tried messing with all the sound settings but I've had no luck. If anyone has any insight on what settings should be used or anything that should be done to get this game running as intended, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you all very much!
Old 30 January 2019, 23:43   #2
Saghalie

Can you post your configs and logs?
Old 31 January 2019, 00:50   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

maybe a proper whdload fix for all configs could do it. Can you make the image available somewhere?
Old 31 January 2019, 05:10   #4
JomSpoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saghalie View Post
Can you post your configs and logs?

Sure thing. I've attached the configuration file I'm currently using and the bootlog. Hope these suffice. If you need more to work with, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
maybe a proper whdload fix for all configs could do it. Can you make the image available somewhere?

I'll give the whdload fix a shot. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "image" though. I admittedly am quite new to this and know very little about Amiga, this is my first dip into the scene. Could you please elaborate on that for me?

Thank you both for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (13.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: uae config.uae (12.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 31 January 2019, 14:57   #5
DamienD
Global Moderator

Heya JomSpoons,

Welcome to EAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JomSpoons View Post
I'll give the whdload fix a shot. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "image" though. I admittedly am quite new to this and know very little about Amiga, this is my first dip into the scene. Could you please elaborate on that for me?
jotd is saying that he could possibly create a fix for this using WHDLoad.

What he requires though is a copy of the game... so could you take an "image" of your CDTV CD using say ImgBurn and upload somewhere?
Old 31 January 2019, 16:36   #6
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Can you make the image available somewhere?
Actually, you can find this on the EAB File Server: Town With No Name (1992)(On-line)(M6)[!][CDTV-TOWNS].zip
Old 31 January 2019, 17:38   #7
JomSpoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Heya JomSpoons,

Welcome to EAB

jotd is saying that he could possibly create a fix for this using WHDLoad.

What he requires though is a copy of the game... so could you take an "image" of your CDTV CD using say ImgBurn and upload somewhere?

Oh I see, thank you for the clarification. The IMG I'm using is the ISO from archive.org.
Old 31 January 2019, 17:49   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Works fine here using CDTV quickstart config. Speech is played from big CD audio track.

EDIT: if you only have single ISO: it is incomplete, audio tracks are missing.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 31 January 2019 at 17:56.
Old 31 January 2019, 18:11   #9
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Works fine here using CDTV quickstart config. Speech is played from big CD audio track.

Yup, that's the issue Toni

...the .ISO image on archive.org is only 67MB so no audio tracks.

The full image I've linked to on the EAB File server i.e: Town With No Name (1992)(On-line)(M6)[!][CDTV-TOWNS].zip is 322MB zipped.
Old 31 January 2019, 20:10   #10
JomSpoons

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yup, that's the issue Toni

...the .ISO image on archive.org is only 67MB so no audio tracks.

The full image I've linked to on the EAB File server i.e: Town With No Name (1992)(On-line)(M6)[!][CDTV-TOWNS].zip is 322MB zipped.

Oh, I see! Very sorry about that, I just assumed the voices would be in the ISO. Thank you two very much, now the voices are playing when I load the CUE file included with the copy you linked Damien.

I do have another issue now though. The voices take a while to load and as a result, they cut off prematurely as soon as the cutscenes they play in end, causing multiple words to be cut off at the end of the dialogue. For example, the old man at the beginning of the game is supposed to end his dialogue by saying "I've been looking for him everywhere.", but instead it cuts off at "I've been looking for--".

This I've heard can be fixed to an extent by using WinUAE 2.1.0, but of course that isn't exactly ideal to be using an outdated version nor does it fix the issue entirely, so is there a better solution to this?

Thank you all once again for your help.

Last edited by JomSpoons; 31 January 2019 at 20:18. Reason: Further explanation
Old 31 January 2019, 20:58   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I need to first test it with real CDTV to confirm exact timing and validate that CD image is 100% correct.

There was another game (Falcon CDTV I think?) that also played short audio from CD had wrong timing in older winuae versions.
Old 02 February 2019, 09:59   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I noticed it does work in CD32 mode which has much smaller CD mechanism startup delays. It also does work in CDTV mode if I reduce delays a bit.

Game code is a bit stupid, it starts CD audio (with correct end position) but it also sends CD audio stop command after a delay, without asking for CD audio time code to detect correct position. CD audio would also have automatically stopped at the originally requested end position anyway, extra stop command is useless..

Falcon CDTV and also Tie Break Tennis still plays audio speech correctly so I guess it is correct fix

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip Post here if you notice some later speech sample being cut short.
Old 03 February 2019, 07:57   #13
JomSpoons

Quote:
I noticed it does work in CD32 mode which has much smaller CD mechanism startup delays. It also does work in CDTV mode if I reduce delays a bit.

Game code is a bit stupid, it starts CD audio (with correct end position) but it also sends CD audio stop command after a delay, without asking for CD audio time code to detect correct position. CD audio would also have automatically stopped at the originally requested end position anyway, extra stop command is useless..

Falcon CDTV and also Tie Break Tennis still plays audio speech correctly so I guess it is correct fix

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip Post here if you notice some later speech sample being cut short.

Thank you very much for this! I will mess around with and see if I can find any issues and report back. The link you sent does not seem to be working for me though, is it a broken link or just on my end?
Old 03 February 2019, 10:04   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Url works now. (Normally I use winuae.7z but because it can change too regularly, I made another file for this test)
Old 03 February 2019, 13:53   #15
DamienD
Global Moderator

I quickly tested yesterday and the old man said "<snip>... I've been looking for him everywhere"
Old 05 February 2019, 05:42   #16
JomSpoons

Quote:
Url works now. (Normally I use winuae.7z but because it can change too regularly, I made another file for this test)

This one works a lot better! I had little to no cuts while playing. That said though, I did notice a few very small cuts at the beginning of some line. One line that says "A lot of weather we've been having recently" gets cut and says "--lot of weather we've been having recently" instead. Not nearly as big an issue as before but I thought I'd make you aware. Thank you very much for all this!