English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 January 2019, 21:59   #1
stemil

Help needed before I tear all my hair out.

Hi all I wonder if anyone can help me with this Winuae newby problem?

I recently came back to Amiga computing after probably 20 years, I want to replace the ancient hard drives on my A600 and A1200 with CF adapters and cards, 2 and 4 gig cards are ample for my requirements as the original drives are tiny in comparison and all I want to do is clone my existing drives to the CF cards.

I have sourced all the necessary hardware, cards, PC CF card reader, Amiga CF card adapter and ide cable.

My problem is that I can't format the CF cards, Winuae 4.1.0 throws one problem after another at me. The programme is set to run as administrator, I have the correct kickstart roms and Workbench files on my PC HD and have loaded them into Winuae, the Amiga emulation mounts my CF card and I am able to partition it but when I try to save off the drive I get error messages saying that Winuae does not have admin privileges, or the whole thing just corrupts and crashes or a disk full error. I have posted some screenshot photos to show the problem.

What am I doing wrong or not doing? Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga error.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	61772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga crash.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	61773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga disk full.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	61774  

Last edited by stemil; 26 January 2019 at 22:05.
Old 26 January 2019, 22:30   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

seems that you're using Install3.1 floppy to boot and program tries to write something on it (and since there's no room on it, you get this error). Doesn't look related to CF. If you could read & see the size and all, WinUAE isn't at fault.

Better use classicWB install to get a working HD installation.
Old 26 January 2019, 22:36   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Error in first screenshot usually means CF is not completely empty and Windows refuses write access to "boot block". Diskpart clean usually fixes it (search this forum for more details). Try also ticking "Lock" option in Add harddrive panel.

(Not sure why it causes that kind of graphics corruption..)
Old 27 January 2019, 00:01   #4
malko

The 3rd picture : You are saving the configuration of your drive. As you have booted with the floppy, HDToolBox/HDInstTool wants to save configuration of your drive to the floppy. This is normal.
Make a copy of your install3.1 disk, rename the copy, delete some files on the copy, run HDToolBox/HDInstTool from the copy.
Once your CF card is ready, launch the install from the original Install3.1 disk.
When the install is finished, copy the the HDToolBox/HDInstTool configuration of your CF card to your sys: partition in order for HDToolBox/HDInstTool to be able to access it (when you load it from the CF).
Old 27 January 2019, 00:47   #5
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Better get CLassicWB Light, already set and works great.
Old 27 January 2019, 00:54   #6
Marchie

If you got your WB set from Cloanto, it also includes a HD image, which you can mount and then do 'copy clone all' in a shell. It's quicker than sitting through the install and might side-step your problem.

EDIT: I see you're stuck at partitioning the card, this may be a step ahead of where you're up to.
Old 27 January 2019, 00:56   #7
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I second this.
Old 27 January 2019, 02:23   #8
stemil

Thanks for the helpful info guys, I'm beginning to suspect that my card reader is faulty, my previously rock stable PC keeps crashing out whenever I access the CF card through Winuae. I only bought it this week from ebay. It can go back.

I'll get one from PC world tomorrow and see how I get on.
Old 27 January 2019, 15:39   #9
stemil

I've now obtained a new CF card reader and my PC is no longer crashing, that's a good thing. Unfortunately it seems like the 2 gig CF card has been bricked or was bricked from the start?

So this is what I'm getting now, the photos show my progress in Amiga install, reading the drive, partitioning and setting the max transfer rates.

The only problem I have now is that it refuses to save off those settings, showing 'Not changed' on the save and exit screen. When I go back into
the partitioning screen it has reverted back to the original settings.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Amiga config read.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	61784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga max.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	61785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga partitioned.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	61786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga no sav.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	61787  
Old 27 January 2019, 15:45   #10
stemil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post

I'm still trying to get my head around using it, this Amiga thing is all new to me these days.

Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 27 January 2019, 16:19   #11
malko

You should give a try to PFS3aio that has been updated by Toni (and leave OFS/FFS aside)
Old 27 January 2019, 16:39   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

Someone recommended a card reader from hama and it works 100% great. Some bad quality card readers can brick your device apparently.
Old 27 January 2019, 17:39   #13
stemil

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
You should give a try to PFS3aio that has been updated by Toni (and leave OFS/FFS aside)

Thanks Malko.
Old 27 January 2019, 17:42   #14
stemil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Someone recommended a card reader from hama and it works 100% great. Some bad quality card readers can brick your device apparently.

I got an Advent reader from PC World, it does seem to be much better quality. Not a bad price either, £4.99.
Old 27 January 2019, 19:58   #15
stemil

The problem was a cheap card reader from ebay, it trashed my 2 gig cf card even though it had a 5 star rating from dozens of buyers, I guess I just got unlucky.
No worries though as I had a 2 gig SD card to use, which went well as I now have workbench installed on my 3 partition drive.
This is all new to me and it's a pretty steep learing curve in the few days that I have spent on it, I will get into the improved file system thing and all the other stuff that's been mentioned, it's a bit bewildering at the moment but the whole point of me using Winuae is to get back into using my Amigas and I'm loving it.
Thanks for all your kind advice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Amiga install done.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	61791  
Old 27 January 2019, 23:43   #16
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemil View Post
I've now obtained a new CF card reader and my PC is no longer crashing, that's a good thing. Unfortunately it seems like the 2 gig CF card has been bricked or was bricked from the start?
I doubt it. You are missing an important part of the process. CompactFlash comes formatted as FAT32 often. Remove the partition with Windoze Computer Management. Storage, Disk Management. Once you've removed the partition Windoze (Windows) won't be accessing it as it does with an active partition. You may now use WinUAE to prep the CF and write the DRB, partition, and format.

Here's a suggestion for later. Whenever you boot from Workbench 3.1 or Install 3.1, or any version, copy HDToolBox into RAM. Drag the Icon and drop it there. Now make or modify a CF or harddrive. The information will be written to RAM: and Install 3.1 won't be touched. This also means the Data for the drive will be gone after you reset or power off. But...it's not really important if you take good care to make sure your drives are in good shape.

Quote:
So this is what I'm getting now, the photos show my progress in Amiga install, reading the drive, partitioning and setting the max transfer rates.

The only problem I have now is that it refuses to save off those settings, showing 'Not changed' on the save and exit screen. When I go back into
the partitioning screen it has reverted back to the original settings.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Yep...because the Windows partition hasn't been removed to make it function well with WinUAE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemil View Post
The problem was a cheap card reader from ebay, it trashed my 2 gig cf card even though it had a 5 star rating from dozens of buyers, I guess I just got unlucky.
In 45+ years, and extensive experiences...I haven't see anything to show me luck actually exists in any form. BUT...sometimes you do get a bad item. Glad you got one that passed through manufacturing well. Oh, and a tip.. Always think ahead...as much as possible. Your drives were 2 and 4 GB, but once you get back into the Amiga you might notice you're needed more storage space. Haha! My 2 were 4 GB each, but I use a 32GB CF..every bit of it. Wink!
Old 28 January 2019, 00:13   #17
jotd
This cat is no more

this one is very good: https://www.digit-photo.com/HAMA-Lec...HAMA55312.html. I think Supaduper was the one who recommended it.
Old 28 January 2019, 22:26   #18
stemil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
I doubt it. You are missing an important part of the process. CompactFlash comes formatted as FAT32 often. Remove the partition with Windoze Computer Management. Storage, Disk Management. Once you've removed the partition Windoze (Windows) won't be accessing it as it does with an active partition. You may now use WinUAE to prep the CF and write the DRB, partition, and format.

Here's a suggestion for later. Whenever you boot from Workbench 3.1 or Install 3.1, or any version, copy HDToolBox into RAM. Drag the Icon and drop it there. Now make or modify a CF or harddrive. The information will be written to RAM: and Install 3.1 won't be touched. This also means the Data for the drive will be gone after you reset or power off. But...it's not really important if you take good care to make sure your drives are in good shape.

Yep...because the Windows partition hasn't been removed to make it function well with WinUAE.

In 45+ years, and extensive experiences...I haven't see anything to show me luck actually exists in any form. BUT...sometimes you do get a bad item. Glad you got one that passed through manufacturing well. Oh, and a tip.. Always think ahead...as much as possible. Your drives were 2 and 4 GB, but once you get back into the Amiga you might notice you're needed more storage space. Haha! My 2 were 4 GB each, but I use a 32GB CF..every bit of it. Wink!

Thanks for the info, but the CF card was definitely dead, I used diskpart clean and format commands with the card in the new reader and HDD raw copy tool, both failed part way through.
Old 28 January 2019, 22:28   #19
stemil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
this one is very good: https://www.digit-photo.com/HAMA-Lec...HAMA55312.html. I think Supaduper was the one who recommended it.

Thank you but I have a good one now, just looking at it you can see the difference in quality.