English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 03 October 2018, 01:07   #2281
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
But, but, but....It's got what people crave
Yeah those yummy electrolytes. Plants crave them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyDog View Post
Idiocracy is closer to the truth than I would care to admit, what with the dumbing down of the population.
Me personally, I see Wall-E as a more fitting mirror. Fat people who don't even walk anymore, don't notice what the world around them has to offer because they're locked onto a screen 24/7 and a world covered with garbage.
Old 04 October 2018, 21:00   #2282
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Me personally, I see Wall-E as a more fitting mirror. Fat people who don't even walk anymore, don't notice what the world around them has to offer because they're locked onto a screen 24/7 and a world covered with garbage.
Second this ...
Old 07 October 2018, 19:57   #2283
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Finally saw Solo. Enjoyed it quite a lot. Solo is a weird character, in this movie they portray him as being a big optimist while we know him to be a bit of a grumpy pessimist. That character switch is not yet explained. Also there can be no grandiose Star Wars villains because it'd just be weird that they would never be mentioned again; Paul Bettany does what he can with what little he has. The story is a bit forced at certain junctures since it has to basically lead up to A New Hope at some point so it has the usual prequilitis problems of having almost no surprises.

Except two. #1: I don't want to spoil anything but there is a particular female character in this movie that is not in any of the other movies... but ends up taking what looks like a really prominent role, where I expect all characters you don't know to basically die off eventually like they did in Rogue One. That made me WTF a little. Was that a little crossover for another spin off movie that is planned? Solo part two: how he became a sour grape?

#2: the friggin' Kessel run. I always thought it was some kind of race, what it was turned into in this movie shatters my childhood dreams. What a stinker.

Other than that, great little action scifi comedy!

7.5/10
Old 08 October 2018, 02:57   #2284
haps
Rumpig

Also watched Solo the other night and enjoyed it. Was much better than I was expecting.

Have to agree with your points Gimbal and would probably rate it about the same.
Old 08 October 2018, 15:40   #2285
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

And first female android brings all new fun @ star wars.

Seems every star wars movie has to have funny andorid, and L3-37 is so far best one, initiating revolt and taking it step further...

Just as I posted in my post, one of quotes:

Lando : Do you want anything?
L3-37 : Equal rights?
Old 08 October 2018, 15:43   #2286
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

True enough, although that continuity thing again, its a bit weird to see an android move as if it is a human being whereas the droids in a further future are all stiff as a piece of wood.
Old 08 October 2018, 21:49   #2287
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
And first female android brings all new fun @ star wars.

Seems every star wars movie has to have funny andorid, and L3-37 is so far best one, initiating revolt and taking it step further...

Just as I posted in my post, one of quotes:

Lando : Do you want anything?
L3-37 : Equal rights?
Nope, this is the leet-bot

All your RIGHTS are belong to us....
Old 09 October 2018, 15:01   #2288
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Just what I mentioned in my post regarding movie, from droid name to its character, and voice behind it - well made.

Has anyone seen new Flatliners? I liked old one, back from 90s. (or was it end of 80s )

Wonder if new one with Nina Dobrev is any good and worth watching.
Old 09 October 2018, 15:08   #2289
Shoonay
Global Caturator

There's a new Flatliners show?
Dunno anything about it, but I know Nina is worth watching
Old 09 October 2018, 17:58   #2290
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Not show - movie.

Flatliners (2017)

It did not do well on IMDB, seems, 5.1/10, but that might not represent much, but again... Original is @ 6.6/10, and I did like that movie back then.

Flatliners (1990)
Old 12 October 2018, 12:41   #2291
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The Secret of My Succe$s, a golden oldie Michael J. Fox movie that for some reason I just missed out on all my life. Thanks Netflix!

There is something endearing about seeing a movie from the 80's with really dense characters that believe all the really obvious bullshit said to them If this movie were released today people would shit all over it for even daring them to suspend their disbelief.

Good fun!

Last edited by gimbal; 12 October 2018 at 14:16.
Old 12 October 2018, 20:16   #2292
jmmijo

Quote:
The Secret of My Succe$s, a golden oldie Michael J. Fox movie that for some reason I just missed out on all my life. Thanks Netflix!

There is something endearing about seeing a movie from the 80's with really dense characters that believe all the really obvious bullshit said to them If this movie were released today people would shit all over it for even daring them to suspend their disbelief.

Good fun!
Pretty much, but then again do not a lot of peeps just take life a bit too seriously

There is a time and place for taking things seriously and then taking some time to have fun, for me it's mainly gaming and the posts I make here

Also, you can't go wrong when the movie soundtrack includes Oh Yeah from Yello
Old 13 October 2018, 14:16   #2293
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

80's music will forever put a smile on my face, being an 80's child myself

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 October 2018, 16:28   #2294
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Yeah it was alright for a one-time viewing, but this is definitely my least favorite entry in the whole franchise. It rehashes too much from previous movies and it just lacks fun. What this movie builds up to, the state of the world as it is when the movie ends - now that is a Jurassic World movie I want to see!

This is basically a movie where the dinos are for 90% of the time locked in cages... who in their right mind thought that would make for an entertaining movie? This is a dinosaur movie, in order for them to do dino stuff they basically need to be stomping around you know :/

you know, say what you want about the first Jurassic World but at least it had interesting characters; some were good, some were bad, even the good had a bit of bad to them to keep them interesting. They had realistic motivations and hidden agendas, they had a reason to do what they were doing. Not this time around, the good guys are basically just doing what the script needs them to do and you can spot the idiotic cartoonish bad guy right from the first frame they're in; they're just so transparent and unoriginal. Oh good, there is an evil financial overlord that has no qualms putting the world in mortal danger for financial gain... Thank god, hadn't seen that for ages.

5/10. Rated "Meh".
Old 14 October 2018, 16:52   #2295
malko

Quote:
The Secret of My Succe$s, a golden oldie Michael J. Fox movie that for some reason I just missed out on all my life. Thanks Netflix![...]
Good fun!
Michael J. Fox, a really good actor.
Sad for his sickness...
Old 14 October 2018, 16:58   #2296
malko

Did see it some year ago but thought about this film not so long ago when a friend of mine passed away : Departures.
Nothing to say except that it is a slow and beautiful movie (9/10)
Old 15 October 2018, 19:11   #2297
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

And now for something completely different, I had the great pleasure of seeing a Street Cat Named Bob.

I was kind of hesitant to see it because from the outset it looked like a bit of a depressing movie, but the opposite is true: this is a proper feel-good film which made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside - eventually. It has its moments of feels, it has its moments of levity, never too much of either.

Its based on the first in a series of books which is the telling of a true story. It revolves mostly around a street musician struggling to recover from a heroine addiction (James) and his new found best friend Bob the cat. There are also the precious few strangers in his life that actually treat him like a human being and the family that wants nothing to do with him at all. The fact that it is based on a real life story instantly makes for believable characters, all that had to be done was find the right actors; which they did, there are numerous really strong performances.

There are a few moments in the movie where I strongly suspect things are not shown as detailed as they happened in reality as events progress a little too easily; for example it seems that the people on the streets just have a switch in their brain clicking from "filthy junky just die already" to "lovely nice man with cute cat" as soon as they see Bob, I can't really believe that. But that probably just means I will enjoy reading the book(s) as well as it will give a less condensed telling of the tale

Regardless: I loved every minute of the movie, highly recommended.

8/10
Old 15 October 2018, 22:04   #2298
haps
Rumpig

I'll give that one a miss. If his mate was a dog, 'twould be a different story. I don't like cats. If they could be kept to just killing the mice and rats it would be a different story. I like my birds and geckos and all the other lizards, but so do the cats, so that's where we part ways and they become food for my hound. Young Jack's count is 4 for this week.

And before anyone gives me a hard time, all of the cats we hunt down are ferals! The neighbors pets are off the menu.

Last edited by haps; 15 October 2018 at 22:12.
Old 15 October 2018, 22:06   #2299
malko

Quote:
And now for something completely different [...]
Sorry gimbal. My goal wasn't to dampen the mood.
After proofreading, I have to admit that it was a little low on joy .
Anyway Departure is worth seeing.

Last edited by malko; 16 October 2018 at 01:47. Reason: repetition
Old 16 October 2018, 10:37   #2300
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Sorry gimbal. My goal wasn't to dampen the mood.
Huh? It is just a stupid Monthy Python reference I re-use quite often It was in no way related to your recommendation which I will definitely see.