Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 28 February 2019, 15:16   #1
nexus

8bitdo sega wireless reciever and controllers

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 February 2019, 15:18   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Will order one for sure. Together with the new official Sega/Retro-Bit controllers we have enough to choose from.
Old 06 March 2019, 03:48   #3
SpocksBeer

I just tried two of these with my A1200. Unfortunately it appears the receiver does not appear to work with the Amiga. It may not be able to get enough power (one receiver does not appear to start, the other does but I cannot pair a controller with it).

I'll verify the controllers I have actually work with real Sega hardware when I get a chance.

For the record I have two of the 2.4Ghz version, not the Bluetooth version.
Old 06 March 2019, 03:49   #4
nexus

thanks for the test
that sucks its not working im sure its a power issue though
Old 06 March 2019, 03:56   #5
Hewitson

The controller doesn't look to be of great quality. Certainly not as good as a proper Sega 6 button controller.

Why would you use Sonic as a test game? Doesn't exactly ask much of the controller, does it?
Old 06 March 2019, 04:13   #6
SpocksBeer

It feels pretty nice, though I'm no connoisseur of D-pads. Nice heft, well balanced. D-pad has a nice action as far as I can tell. Certainly doesn't feel too cheap.

The receiver part does, however, though it's not like that's designed to be handled much.
Old 06 March 2019, 04:18   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I have the great Joyzz from Krikzz which also uses a 2.4g receiver. This one works perfectly fine on my A1200, in combination with the MegaDrive2CD32 pad adapter. We'll see, i get my M30 probably on the 14.03. I use a 4.5A PSU, not the standard A1200.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 06 March 2019 at 04:32.
Old 06 March 2019, 04:44   #8
SpocksBeer

I have a Joyzz on the way sometime soon, so I'll have that a go too. I'm using a Ray Carlson PSU, not sure what it's rated for, but I don't think the power issue, if it is a power issue, would be the PSU. Rather, if enough current can be provided to the DB9 connector.

This is really complete speculation at my end. Other factors could be relevant too, like motherboard revision (this is a 2B). Or the combination of the optical mouse I use and the receiver exceeds the current limits of the DB9 port. Or both units I have may be faulty. Or I may have damaged both units by plugging them into the Amiga. Hard to say with the limited amount of time I've spent on this.
Old 06 March 2019, 08:09   #9
SpocksBeer

So just tried the M30s in Sega hardware. One is definitely DOA, or I killed it in the Amiga. The other works fine. So definitely some incompatibility on the Amiga with this, at least when directly connected. I could try one of those C64/mega drive adaptors in the middle, but given the results so far I'm reluctant.
Old 06 March 2019, 09:54   #10
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpocksBeer View Post
I just tried two of these with my A1200. Unfortunately it appears the receiver does not appear to work with the Amiga. It may not be able to get enough power (one receiver does not appear to start, the other does but I cannot pair a controller with it).

I'll verify the controllers I have actually work with real Sega hardware when I get a chance.
If they're wired for Megadrive use, they'll be drawing power from the incorrect pins on the Amiga, which will most likely be why they're not getting the power they need, as well as pulling power from pins not intended for that purpose.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, try make a simple adaptor with two 9-pin D connectors. Connect all pins straight through except 5 and 7, which should be swapped. That will ensure the receiver is using the actual power output from the Amiga, and not one of the I/O pins on Paula.

The C64/Megadrive adaptor should actually do the same job - it will swap pins 5 and 7 while also protecting the I/O pins with diodes.
Old 06 March 2019, 22:31   #11
SpocksBeer

Ah, thanks Daedalus. Just tried with a 64JPX adaptor in place, and yes it works perfectly. Had a heart in mouth moment where I thought I'd killed my Paula (no audio output!), but it seems my XRGB-mini is playing up for totally unrelated reasons.
Old 07 March 2019, 06:25   #12
nexus

does that controller feel 100% same as a sega saturn? more importantly the d-pad
Old 07 March 2019, 10:15   #13
SpocksBeer

Not 100% the same no, but keep in mind it's a comparison between something brand new and something 20ish years old. The Saturn pad I'm comparing it to has a slightly smaller d-pad, and the d-pad on the Saturn controller has considerable slop. The M30 d-pad has absolutely none.

They do have a similar "clicky" feel to their d-pad action, and I don't think you'd be disappointed if you were after something Saturn-ish. I'm not sure if it suffers from the "unwanted diagonal" issue the 8bitdo SNES pad is criticized for, but it feels precise to me. The shoulder buttons are the biggest departure from the Saturn pad, with a quite soft action that is unlike the hard click you get from the Saturn's shoulder buttons. Not unpleasant though, just different.
Old 07 March 2019, 10:46   #14
nexus

hmz ok im more a snes dpad guy so i guess i get 1 of there kits that should work with these receivers
Old 07 March 2019, 11:34   #15
SpocksBeer

You might consider the Bluetooth SFC30 controller and the Sega version Bluetooth retro receiver (https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Retro-.../dp/B07MSWGSJY) then. I wouldn't assume the SNES 2.4ghz controller would work with the M30 2.4ghz receiver, though I guess it's likely. That's a pretty expensive stack, especially when you.also need something like a 64JPX to make it work with the Amiga, if you don't already have one.
Old 07 March 2019, 13:36   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
64JPX

A bit pointless for the Amiga though (have it too). It supports only one Button of the Amiga because it's for the C64. Yes, it also has a profile for JoyUp = jump. But it lacks the second separate button for the Amiga. Best choice for a M30 combination would be this adapter, then you can play a lot of CD32 pad patched WHDLoad games too.

http://melbourneconsolerepros.com/pr...74c8fdded933ee
Old 07 March 2019, 13:43   #17
Daedalus

A much simpler adaptor than the 64JPX as I suggested above would also let these controllers work (as well as supporting two buttons). They can be simply made for a few quid by anyone who can handle a soldering iron. So even if you can't solder, you're sure to know someone who will put one together for you for a couple of beers.
Old 07 March 2019, 19:19   #18
SpocksBeer

Indeed. I mention the 64jpx only because it was what I had on hand. Might see if I can source some components and put together a minimal adaptor cable that would work universally with Amigas (i.e including the A600s odd port location).
Old 14 March 2019, 14:01   #19
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Got mine today and as expected it works fine (with the adapter) as a wireless CD32 pad. Probably the best controller 8bitdo made so far. Needs longer test sessions though.
Old 16 March 2019, 11:31   #20
danko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Got mine today and as expected it works fine (with the adapter) as a wireless CD32 pad. Probably the best controller 8bitdo made so far. Needs longer test sessions though.

Hi, what did you test? I'm curious, I want to buy it too.

http://melbourneconsolerepros.com/pr...74c8fdded933ee

Last edited by danko; 16 March 2019 at 15:15.