English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 21 January 2019, 20:13   #1
ItsTheSmell

ex windows user

Hi all, ive been trying to come of windows 10 for a while, the main thing keeping me on it was WinUAE. I thought i had a version that would run on linux on the amiga forever dvd but i cant find it. Then someone pointed me in the direction if fsuae. Is this the best emulator for linux or am i better off running winuae in wine? I use it primarily to create bootable cf cards/hdds to use in my amiga 1200.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21 January 2019, 20:36   #2
Pyromania

Run the version that you’re most comfortable with. Try them all then make the choice that’s right for you.
Old 24 January 2019, 18:37   #3
ItsTheSmell

So winuae running in wine is fully functional? ie you can set up hard drives connected via ide, play/test games etc etc? Do I install winuae if I'm using wine?
Old 24 January 2019, 18:54   #4
Pyromania

Perhaps Toni is a better person to ask that question to. I use WinUAE on a dedicated Windows based TriCaster that runs Windows 7.
Old 24 January 2019, 21:09   #5
R4M

For gaming fs-uae should be sufficient. WinUAE can easily be installed using playonlinux (which should be included in your linux distribution). You could also buy AmiKit (http://amikit.amiga.sk/), which also installes WinUAE on linux.

I have not tried to directly connect harddrives. Hdf images and mounting the linux filesystem work.

As far as i know, you should be able to mount an amiga formatted harddisk on linux. Then you could mount it in WinUAE via the linux filesystem... probably not optimal, since the permissions are not compatible.
Old 24 January 2019, 22:02   #6
idrougge

Using FS-UAE to prepare drives is quite simple. Identify the /dev/ device for your disk and add that as an RDB hardfile in the FS-UAE configuration.
Old 29 January 2019, 12:00   #7
gryf

I've been using both - FS-UAE natively and WinUAE under wine in linux, although for connecting/preparing cf cards or hard drives, I've been using exclusively FS-UAE - it just a matter of pointing out right device in the configuration. You can also access FFS formatted drives under linux.
Old 29 January 2019, 22:55   #8
ItsTheSmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryf View Post
I've been using both - FS-UAE natively and WinUAE under wine in linux, although for connecting/preparing cf cards or hard drives, I've been using exclusively FS-UAE - it just a matter of pointing out right device in the configuration. You can also access FFS formatted drives under linux.

I'm gonna buy fs-uae and give it a try, Amiga forever 8 is out which is €40 so I might as well try it out, I'm no worse off.
Cheers
Old 30 January 2019, 00:12   #9
Devlin
Bane of Magic

FS-UAE is free. no purchase required.

I'll second it for Linux. It's good, fast and is good for gaming, can't say about winuae under wine though, wine causes headaches (the real/good stuff does too)
Old 30 January 2019, 00:34   #10
ItsTheSmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin View Post

I'll second it for Linux. It's good, fast and is good for gaming, can't say about winuae under wine though, wine causes headaches (the real/good stuff does too)

I didn't know it was free, on it!
Old 31 January 2019, 19:59   #11
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

One of the biggest differences between FS-UAE and WinUAE is that WinUAE can capture video natively, while you'd have to use separate software to achieve the same thing with FS-UAE. Worth keeping in mind if you intend to record gameplay footage. All the video capture software I tried with FS-UAE whether under Windows or Linux failed miserably when in full screen mode, but can cope with recording gameplay in a window.
Old 31 January 2019, 20:51   #12
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin View Post

It is good, OK, but fast - not as fast as WinUAE. On the same computer WinUAE will always outperform FS-UAE. This is most visible on old hardware, where WinUAE will work fine, while FS-UAE will mostly first have sound issues due to speed and requirements.

At least, this is my experience with both.