English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 21 April 2002, 23:38   #41
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Which text editor? As long as you are using copyrighted files, you should use CygnusEd, since there is no better anywhere (IMO).

A question about the AmigaGuide/Multiview issue from before: You know how you can alias a shell command to call a different program (ie, alias AmigaGuide Multiview)? Is this possible, aliasing calls from a WB icon to load something different? That could be really useful and surely some PD coder has made such a tool (as long as it ignores any paths...)
Old 21 April 2002, 23:51   #42
Bloodwych

Not 100% sure what you mean twistin

You can write a script file using a text editor containing CLI commands and even run WBicon programs from CLI using "WBrun" within this script.

Then create a project icon for this script (say using iconedit) and make its default tool "iconx". Whenever you double click or run this script it will execute all the commands you've listed.

You can use programs (like toolsdaemon or scalos) that allow you select an icon then run a specific cli command on it. The software inserts the icons file name into the cli command you've previously set up.

The editor is JanoEditor. Freeware, but fits the classical wb look and has all the useful features. If you want that commercial editor, you'll have to add it yourself as I don't have it

Last edited by Bloodwych; 22 April 2002 at 00:05.
Old 22 April 2002, 00:18   #43
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

CygnusEd: oh, dude...you really should have this, even if you don't include it in your distribution!

As for the WB alias idea I spoke of, what I am trying to do here is to make it to where the OS (or WB, rather) automatically redirects any icon call for AmigaGuide to MultiView. Let's say, for example, you download some nice tool from Aminet that has a .guide doc. You un'lha and click on the doc file icon and it looks for MYWORKBENCH:Tools/AmigaGuide ... Unless you have this fixed disk and path, you'll get an error message. Or even if it just asks for AmigaGuide and you only have Multiview, this could fail (I think). So if any calls for AmigaGuide (regardless of the path) could alias itself to MultiView, one would not have to muck with editing the icons.
Old 22 April 2002, 00:23   #44
Bloodwych

Now I see, you mean something like classaction

I'll try and add a similar feature to this next (V3) - it takes a long time to configure. It also uses a lot of RAM and may make it unusable on a 2MB A1200. We'll see................

Last edited by Bloodwych; 22 April 2002 at 00:50.
Old 22 April 2002, 03:12   #45
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Shame such a basic task requires such an intense program.

Some other suggestions for CLI commands I cannot live without (not sure if they are already there or not), although they may not be everyone's thing:

-CFX (Crunched File eXaminer)
-xfdecrunch - a part of the xfdmaster installation. All in all, a good package.

I'm sure there are others I am forgetting, but I'll look when I get home.
Old 22 April 2002, 11:25   #46
Big-Byte
Long time member

Sorry about the ftp being down but I was away for the whole weekend so didnt want to leave the pc on for that long unattended

@Bloodwych - The new version 2 you uploaded is corrupt unfortunately. The dynamic ip address I had changed while you were uploading it and somehow killed my connection - It can of been very far from completing either
Old 22 April 2002, 11:39   #47
Bloodwych

It was at 96%!!!!! Took a good hour and then some to get there as well! Damn my 56K!

Still, I wasn't that bothered. You're good enough to provide this service and at your discretion - I'm never going to complain about when it's on/offline

At the moment I'm uploading the file to some free webspace, after which I was about to pm everyone with the link. Seems a bit pointless now so I'll have another go on your FTP
Old 22 April 2002, 12:09   #48
enigma

Heya Bloodwych drop a PM for me too.

Old 22 April 2002, 13:07   #49
Bloodwych

People you have mail.

Anyone from now on who wants pm'ed must prove that they also have WB3.0 by sending me the S directory from the WB 3.0 disk (zipped but please don't send the whole disk, I'm only on 56K!). I'll then pm you the link.

I must also reiterate:

If anyone's reading this and wondering where you can download this classic WB then I'm afraid to inform you that at the moment it's for private use only - it's not a public release. There is no way to know if you own the original WB3.0 so until a version is created without the copyright files (perhaps some time in the future) no public release will be made on this site.

The disks can be bought from
here
Old 25 April 2002, 18:23   #50
Bloodwych

Classic WB3.0 V3 now complete!

This will be the final update from me as this classic WB3.0 has all the features I require on my A1200HD 020 with 10MB RAM. I’m afraid the inclusion of some MUI applications (VoodooX the prime reason) has pushed the RAM usage up beyond an unexpanded A1200 2MB. You can still use this on a stock A1200 as most applications work fine, but if you’re going to use these machines for meaningful tasks (and WHDload games) you’re going to need fast ram anyway.

V1 works best on unexpanded 2MB A1200’s, V2 still manages to scrape through while this version should be happy on an extra 1MB or more of fast.

Even though it was never my original intention to place this zip on BB’s server, you’ve got to admit it’s useful having a fully functioning WB available that’s Desktop A1200 020/TV res friendly and has some of the best aminet software good to go!

Updates:

*User defined suffix support added for “auto” actions on files.

*VoodooX is now the default unpacking utility. Displays the content of archives (including ADF/ADZ’s) and supports depacking practically every format. Uses an unregistered lib (XAD) so be sure to wait 8 seconds when the requester pops up (click early and you’ll be punished with even more requesters!) or register.

*Delitracker added as the default music player (how could I leave this out?).

*Visage and PPshow added as Picture viewers.

*File identification feature added using FileID.lib so unknown files (up to 645 of them!) can be automatically identified. Useful if you have a file of unknown origin and no suffix.

*Popup menu revised

*Removed some redundant software (GB route and Cannon Studio trial)

*Added various updates (like KCON:, gif datatypes etc.)

Ok, I think that’s about it. Enjoy! A classic looking (and feeling) WB 3.0 including everything a general Amiga 1200HD user could possibly need! Just add games, demos and mods!

Again comments and suggestions welcome. If someone wants to continue developing this WB then please do! Even better, I wouldn’t mind seeing an upload or two of your 3.0WB efforts hint hint

Ok, here is the disclaimer section for newbies and possible peeps lacking WB3.0:

If anyone's reading this and wondering where you can download this classic WB then I'm afraid to inform you that at the moment it's for private use only - it's not a public release. There is no way to know if you own the original WB3.0 so until a version is created without the copyright files (perhaps some time in the future) no public release will be made on this site.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 03 June 2002 at 18:43.
Old 26 April 2002, 00:10   #51
Bloodwych

Version 3 is now available on BB's FTP in the uploads section. Enjoy!

The offer to pm anyone who doesn't qualify for access of the above FTP (and also prove they own wb3.0) still stands for as long as the files remain uploaded at my secret location .

If the service provider I'm using deletes them, then the pm offer goes I'm afraid as I'm a 56Ker

Last edited by Bloodwych; 03 June 2002 at 18:44.
Old 10 May 2002, 21:57   #52
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Unhappy

ok, so, I have WB 3.0 (2 copies infact, not sure why), so how do I prove it again? Im not booting up WB on my amiga and writing down the entire contents of the S directory, actually, 1 sec, ill check how much there is..........

hm... actually there isnt that many, so do I just PM you the names of the files?

arg... I still need a HD for my amiga, anyone selling one really cheap?? pleasE?!
Old 26 May 2002, 19:28   #53
Tonycrew

Send a message via ICQ to Tonycrew
Exclamation

Hi Bloodwych i have installed your WB v3 and great it is..

The only one prob i have is the LHA & DMS with Voodoo X..
I right click on the lha or dms and choose to unpack and voodoo x comes up with unknown file or something similar..?

Zip's work ok as do lzx..?

Both DMS and LHA are in the C dir and in the scalos menu when i check action Lha or DMS it points to voodoo x..

Any ideas.. Sorry to ask but i'm not all that up with Amigas as it's been along time since i last had one.
Old 27 May 2002, 11:06   #54
Tonycrew

Ah it's ok... it is only certain DMS and LHA files i dunno why..?

But in winuae some work and some don't..?

I mount PC drives at start up then when i try to drag n drop some files they won't and others do.. the ones that won't drag n drop won't unarc but the ones that do drag n drop will un arc..

Anyway i have you WB on my real Amiga now

You can't beat the REAL THING...
Old 27 May 2002, 13:35   #55
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Maybe the problem you're having with those files is appended data that sometimes gets attached to unrecognized file formats in some browsers. I still have a ton of DMS, LHA, LZH and ADZ files with this problem and I have to use a script (run from an AmigaDOS shell) to strip this appendage from them. I just fixed 287 adz files this weekend (what a chore!) and I probably have hundreds more to go! The script and util to fix these is on Aminet and I think it's called LZH Netfix or something like that.
Old 27 May 2002, 15:19   #56
Tonycrew

Ah thanx i will look at appending then...
Old 27 May 2002, 20:09   #57
Bloodwych

Sorry I didn't reply but I've been away the last few days. Looks like you've sorted everything out though Tony.

I can't comment on the reliability of the Workbench set-up under WinUAE as I haven't used it much. From my limited running time while developing it, I didn't have any of these issues so perhaps twist is the man with the solution.

BTW Voodoo X uses a Library (either XAD or XFD can't remember) to do all the unpacking so those executables in C are not important (still useful for shell however).

Another program that handles DMS and LHA files is “Packmaster” accessed either in the programs directory or from “New->Archive” selection on the right click menu. You may want to try this with your files if twists suggestion is no good.

Packmaster was the default archive handler in version 1 and 2 of the workbench, so if your real Amiga has only 2MB you might want to change this to the default unpacker. It’s requires much less resources to run in comparison to voodooX.
Old 27 May 2002, 23:08   #58
Tonycrew

Thanx, i tell you what though it's great just unzipping a WB and it's all setup with the best utils..

If i make a mistake i just unzip it..

I have added to your version as a standard IDEFix and LHA'd it so when i unpack i have cdrom support straight away.

And put it in a backup dir on my Amiga
Old 01 June 2002, 16:37   #59
Bloodwych

Version 4 Final now ready!!!!!!

In order to coincide with a great WinUAE release by Tony (Thanks BTW ), I've put together the definite WB3.0 solution that works awesome on real Amiga TVres setups and WinUAE (if you don't make use of picasso support )

This final version is perfect (I think), with all previous install problems removed and new features added.

This is basically the AIAB for TVres/A1200-020 users and those who want maximum available chipram/compatibility for HD games!

I'm afraid that I have to withdraw my offer of supplying this WB through free webspace as providers keep deleting it - I'm only on 56K - so please no more pms!

I'll upload it to BB's server and consider upping it to a newsgroup, but no promises yet. If someone could convert this to a public version (ie copyright workbench files removed) that would be great!

Ok, here's a cut and paste of the new features:

Classic WB3.0 version 4 final

Rec Min Spec: A1200HD, 2MB CHIP, 1MB FAST. Apart from Voodoo-X, everything should work fine on a stock 2MB A1200.

This is definitely the final update - but what an update it is!!!!!!

If anyone else decides to improve it further then please let me in on your
final results!

Updates to version 4:

Where do I begin!

*Workbench will now work 100% on any named partition/winuae HD directory. No need to label them the same as mine anymore (ie "System").

*Scalos updated to the latest version - 1.2d

* Filetypes support has been added using the filetypes plugin!
Yes! The best part of this update. Now you can just double click on mod's,
lha's, zip's, adf's etc. in order to open programs. The system has default
icons for many filetypes that I've setup! Default icons can be added for any
new filetypes not covered!

* With WinUAE having zip support, I've decided to add direct zip support
to this WB. You can send any files, folders and disks directly to a zip from
a popup menu within workbench windows!

* New ADF utility, much more advanced!

* "Auto" actions on files - suffix recognition refined.

* Clock added to the titlebar. Appearance cleared up.

* Volume gauge added to route menus (like WB 1.3 + 3.9)

* Popup menus have had a major facelift!

* Folders cleared of junk ".info" files not needed due to filetype update.

* Wizarc added as default archive utility - no more annoying register
requesters! Voodoo-X still used automatically for other less common
formats/filetypes.

* New items added to the menu including sorting (alphabetically) and
stacking folders!

*Powerpacker (how could I forget this gem) and HTML viewer added.

*Dopus volume listings refined

*Arexx directly supported from bootup for certain applications.

* Bugs removed from user-startup script and icon tab in scalos prefs
(somehow an mcc class went missing???)

* Alphabetical drawers added in games directory

and many other little enhancements that may not be obvious.

Ok I think that's about it. Hope you've found this classic looking WB useful for low end A1200's on TV resolutions!

Enjoy!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 01 June 2002 at 16:42.
Old 02 June 2002, 18:11   #60
Bloodwych

I've upped the WB to tonycrew's FTP and he's going to pass it on to BigByte and others.

The title to this thread is a bit wrong however - the file's 13.6MB now!!!

Just a quick note: if you're adding cdrom support I suggest using amicdrom (although any CD prog should do) and calling the device "CDROM", "CD" or the programs default "CD0" as I've added a nice CD icon for devices named this way.

The reason I can't include cdrom support is the setup needs to be configured for a particular system (eg WinUAE or a real amiga).