English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 April 2012, 18:59   #1
fishyfish
Banned

Hypothetical 5 and 10 meg OS3.x installs

While the idea is more to hopefully learn a little about deeper streamllining/optimising/enhancing of an os3.x install I'll pose the question this way:

How would you go about customing your AmigaOS install assuming you only had only 5 meg of storage space for the actual core OS components? What would you omitt or substitute for alternatives (I noticed there's quite a few replacements for things in c for example on aminet). What tools/utilities would u add or replace existing ones with? What enhancements would you make vs. a standard os3.0/3.1 install? What extra libs are essential and/or worthwhile? What should be patched/replaced? I could probably go on and on with other similar questions, but the hopefully Ive gotten the idea across already.
Also, same question but assuming 10 meg.

While Ive done more than my fair share of customising os3.x it's been predominantely with amithlon where raw speed tends to hide differences in speed of achieving a job in different ways, so am now trying to learn to squeeze more out of my a1200.

Posing the question as I have I hope will show what people really value for a nice os setup, plus a few extra niceities that they enjoy for the 10meg version. Not to mention (for me at least) is potentially fun

So far I have:
Magic Menu2 (110KB for MM2+MMPrefs)
birdie2k (95KB)
fblit (60KB for fblit + fblit library, about 250 for gui, but its not needed)
ftext (4KB)
contents of OS3.x discs (5-ish meg (just a rough approximation going by 6x880KB))

Already its at roughly 5.25MB. How would people proceed from here?
Old 28 April 2012, 06:14   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

Have you tried BetterWB?

I have done what you mention by creating it.
Give it a shot, and post your findings

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BetterWB.htm
Old 11 May 2012, 09:03   #3
Ffin

Personally, I always start by deleting foreign language files including keymaps, the whole printing system (drivers, prefs programs and utilities), monitors and unused files such as serial.device and parallel.device. I can't remember exactly what's in 3.1, but Clock, Prepcard, Memacs, NoFastmem and the CDXL datatype are files that I remember nuking.
Old 11 May 2012, 10:55   #4
fishyfish
Banned

@gulliver

Id actually been checking out BetterWB just prior to typing this thread actually. Nice work by the way. Simple to install, clean, and doesnt really stray too far from WB3.0/3.1.
Having said this though Im more interested in doing it myself, so while there's stuff I can use/learn from BetterWB the thread was more aimed at trying to broaden my knowledge a little. I am pretty well versed in customisng my system, but must admit to having gotten stuck in a bit of a rutt as to exactly what I do and dont install. Id really like to freshen up my approach (and hoperfully my AmigaOS setup) a little by trying new things and lower level stuff seemed a good place to start

@Ffin
Thanks. Do you recall if you deleted them because you didnt use them, or because of finding better replacements?
Old 11 May 2012, 11:49   #5
Ffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
@Ffin
Thanks. Do you recall if you deleted them because you didnt use them, or because of finding better replacements?
I deleted them because I didn't/don't use them, particularly as I'm now limited to WinUAE.