English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 27 August 2002, 11:06   #1
oldpx

Exclamation Icon utility

Can someone name me an utility that can copy a file's icon to another with a drag & drop interface? I am using iconizer but it doesn't work with glowicons and newicons.

Old 27 August 2002, 16:41   #2
Bloodwych

Don't worry Burseg, Bloodwych workbench utility master has the solution.

Grab Icon Installer

Readme here
Old 27 August 2002, 17:46   #3
blackcornflake

Here are two more alternatives:

CopyIcon44, available from Aminet (util/wb). Written for OS3.5, so support for New/Glowicons is likely. No details on drag n drop functionality. Readme Download

Icon Master, from Magic Software: http://www.magicsoftware.prv.pl/ Features app window for drag n drop, but no details on NI/GI support. Sheesh!

I must admit I haven't tried them out myself, so I am relying on the blurb. Not very big on icon copy/manipulation – I’m a bit lazy, so I tend to leave icons how they are. :hoo
Old 27 August 2002, 17:53   #4
Paul
RIP Friends

Put Iconimagecopier.lha to try in the zone Burseg
Old 27 August 2002, 20:45   #5
oldpx

Wow, thanks for all the great replies

Old 30 August 2002, 16:07   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

Burseg this is the full version of Icon image copier with installer.
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/u...nImgCopier.lha

This one works better and is drag and drop.
Old 30 August 2002, 20:37   #7
oldpx

Thanks again paul, I'm using all these programs together, some is good at something te other one is good at something else.

Old 30 August 2002, 21:09   #8
Marcuz

But what if you want import images into icons or convert windows icons?
this is what i've find:
image2icon (similar to picticon found in Bloodwych WB, but newer with support to glowicons etc.) works with jpeg. but since i had the images in bmp after the conversion from few colors to 256, the dither was messy. anyway it does not support transparency nor frames, you have to load the icon in a editor.
you can edit with Personal Paint from Cloanto: i've downloaded it and a plugin for the management of newicons from aminet. it enable you to save a brush with two frames, you can read how here:
http://members.tripod.com/whdload/icons.html
you can have also a look here:
http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/col_ami.html

so far i've managed to import correctly 2 (!) icons of 40 and i've merged them in a newicon. i've experimented any type of error with every of these programs (and here i mean iconizer, icon imafe copier, icon deluxe 2.0, iconian, and others too).
but i run WB3.0
So i'm still looking for a better editor

SO, if you have any idea, mostly on import of ico from windows or images, please help!
thx

Last edited by Marcuz; 30 August 2002 at 21:15.
Old 30 August 2002, 21:23   #9
oldpx

I used ico2info before, name is self-explanatory, it converts .ico files to .info

Old 30 August 2002, 21:38   #10
Marcuz

thx i'm going to try that too
Old 31 August 2002, 11:14   #11
Marcuz

Ok, stupid me for have not look for ico2info before: it's great!.
but i've one problem to solve still: since i want an icon to have 2 images, one for highlited mode, i load the two in iconian and i save them as newicon. but it freezes.
I think it's a problem of palettes: i've managed to save just one time but the icon, even if it had the transparency right, had messed color
could i still have your help?
Old 31 August 2002, 13:19   #12
oldpx

Good to hear it worked I haven't used iconian before, I've been experiencing color mess-ups sometimes as well and I don't exactly know what the problem might be. Several of my whdload games have messed up icons and I'd like see them fixed too.

I used to use "fullpalette" as a palette prefs replacement, with this utility you can adjust all 256 colors of the workbench instead of first 8.

Which game is your avatar from?

Old 31 August 2002, 14:58   #13
Marcuz

thx! now i'm going to update an old custom WB of mine thx of yours advice and Bloodwych'. i'll make you know if i'll find something to fix icons.

Great to spread curiosity about the avatar tough
i've made it today along others 4 from a game that easily is in my fav-list somewhere else in the board. i'm going to cycle it with the others 4 in the next days, so you will guess
Old 03 September 2002, 21:25   #14
Marcuz

Sorry to be still here with the same prob, but i found out that ico2info saves my 256 col icons in 8 col *.info (for instance 32x32x8. m'i right?). is there a way to avoid that? nothing in the docs thugh, and the newicon switch seems to be ignored. the problem is that even iv they looks right, when i bring them in iconizer to make a two framed for selection icon, the palette scramble, BUT WORSE if i try to save winuae locks up.
can you help to make light in my ignorance?
Old 03 September 2002, 21:31   #15
oldpx

Hmm it has been a long time since I used that program. Why don't you take a screenshot from the windows side, cut out the icon and save it in format that you amiga/winuae setup can understand? I am sorry I couldn't help :/

Old 03 September 2002, 21:38   #16
Marcuz

do you mean as iff? because then i have to use PPaint and to save them as brushes one by one: i can do that too but it dither the image and messes the transparency. i'm not sure about the palette either using it, maybe in that case to have the same for uselected and highlighted, i should import all 96 icons(!) in a single image!
thanks anyway: if i'm still bloked the next week i'll look for some ready-to-go set of newicons...
Old 23 September 2002, 21:50   #17
oldpx

Oops, Marco I just noticed this last message of yours. I hope you're doing fine with your new icons

Old 27 September 2002, 23:22   #18
Marcuz

hey mate! thanks you but these days i can mess with my pc/amiga just on the weekends since i'm in another town for work, learning to use freehand ((( ... and my rebuilt workbench has new icons, yes, even if a little unusable (they opens but colors are wrong or they have not frame)... still i use your great wallpapers for either winuae and windows XP