English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 July 2002, 13:52   #21
Bobbin

the uae port for the xbox would probably be needed to play games only, so i don't see the keyboard problem. and the mouse movements could also be translated to the joypad.
just think of it: playing turrican 2 again on your tv - and you could also map the stereo signal from the amiga to the front AND rear speakers, wooohooo. maybe if the xboxlinux project has success...
Old 11 July 2002, 14:00   #22
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbin
the uae port for the xbox would probably be needed to play games only, so i don't see the keyboard problem. and the mouse movements could also be translated to the joypad.
just think of it: playing turrican 2 again on your tv - and you could also map the stereo signal from the amiga to the front AND rear speakers, wooohooo. maybe if the xboxlinux project has success...
I can't help but think you could do a whole lot better a whole lot cheaper buying an A500 and/or A1200 on ebay.
Old 11 July 2002, 14:10   #23
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
A bare A1200 on ebay goes for $125 or more in the US. The 500's are inexpensive (thats why I have one). Also XBOX has a HDTV output addon doesnt it? That would look alot better then RCA to a TV any day. I know for my dreamcast VGA out looks alot better then SVHS out and that looks better then plain RCA out.

If you cant find/afford/have space for the real system and EMU is the next best thing
Old 11 July 2002, 19:38   #24
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
A bare A1200 on ebay goes for $125 or more in the US. The 500's are inexpensive (thats why I have one). Also XBOX has a HDTV output addon doesnt it? That would look alot better then RCA to a TV any day. I know for my dreamcast VGA out looks alot better then SVHS out and that looks better then plain RCA out.

If you cant find/afford/have space for the real system and EMU is the next best thing
SVGA ouput looks better than RCA out because the chroma and luminance signals are split; while I agree that the signal is nicer this way, it's not enough to where I would replace the real thing with emulation. Especially when one can find/afford/have space for the real system*.

*find=easy to find real Amigas, they're often dirt cheap, an X-Box takes up more room and puts money in the pocket of bad people.
Old 19 July 2002, 09:21   #25
Unregistered

oh my god a amiga emu on the xbox would make my life complete PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!

Old 19 July 2002, 11:38   #26
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

That message is either bad sarcasm or a troll. Ignore...
Old 19 July 2002, 11:50   #27
Unregistered

no im seriously serious.
i would love it.

Old 19 July 2002, 20:59   #28
th4t1guy

Xbox is not a realistic platform to develope programs for. The only reason people are working to port Linux to it is because the Linux community is worse than Microsoft in wanting their OS on every machine imaginable.

It would be a better idea to port UAE to the Dreamcast or the PS2. Does anyone know of any current projects to port UAE to the Dreamcast?
Old 19 July 2002, 23:55   #29
Unknown_K

Havnt really noticed much activity lately on the dreamcast EMU's www.dcemulation.com is a nice site. Looks like everybody is trying it on the XBOX now.

Why would you want linux on a console anyway, not much you can do with it. Somebody could easily get DOS running on a dreamcast so I can play all my old games on it. I even have the DC mouse and keyboard!
Old 20 July 2002, 00:52   #30
jmmijo

This harkens back to the days of yore when both Coleco and Mattel failed at their console/micro integration attempts
Old 31 July 2002, 21:38   #31
cv643d

Dreamcast wont be able to run Amiga emulation 100%.
I have watched DC emulation Scene for 2 years now. There isnt a full speed SNES emu out for DC yet. But it manages full speed spectrum games, without sount thoug
Old 31 July 2002, 21:56   #32
Unknown_K

I dont see why a dreamcast could not run a500 amiga games with no problem from a technical standpoint.. but I can see how maybe 1 or 2 programmers would have a hard time trying.

Coleco failed at the computer/game machine because the video game market took a dive just after the ADAM was released. That and the fact that tape drives suck, the unit had very little in the way of programs, the c64 was the king of the market for home computing.

If you cant compete by having a huge software selection, clearly superior hardware, or extremely silly low price dont bother
Old 31 July 2002, 23:02   #33
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Toni Wilen
I agree that XBOX is great emulator platform, but
2: xbox sdk is only available to big game houses.
-> only possibility to develop xbox programs is leaked xbox sdk but it is illegal..
I believe that. But does the MAME developing team have to be afraid of getting SUED, now?!
Old 31 July 2002, 23:20   #34
Unknown_K

Well XBOX ius 100% Microsoft creation. Legally if they dont want any EMU on their system they can stop it, or take you to court if it does leak out. I dont blame M$ from trying to protect a system they have billions invested in. The only reason the dreamcast has such a nice EMU scene is because SEGA got out of the hardware buisiness and could care less what we do with it.

I dont see why those taiwanese companies who make motherboards dont package a micro atx board with built in video and sound (would have to add svhs output for tv) in a small console looking plastic box with cd on top and sell it to the EMU crowd. 4 USB ports for controllers in front and maybe a small external power supply, could even use small 2.5" hd's. Since thats just standard equipment nobody could make a fuss about it. Probably would not cost too much if they used duron processor. Any they could usa any os they wanted for game development.

The major thing XBOX has over a PC for emu's is its only $200 and is setup for the tv already, but face it.. its just a pc with a plastic cover over it.
Old 31 July 2002, 23:59   #35
jmmijo

There is something like this, not quite as small as a console however, but very small indeed, check it out

http://usa.asus.com/desktop/dtpindex.htm

http://www.aopen.com/products/baresystem/
Old 01 August 2002, 00:25   #36
Unknown_K

Still looks exactly like a PC, I was looking for something that looks like a psx1 with clamshell cdrom (has to be cheaper then a tray loader)
Old 01 August 2002, 00:29   #37
jmmijo

True they still have the PC look and feel, that can't be helped because after all these are motherboard and parts manufacturers

As for the clam shell style CD/DVD drives, these seem to going bye-bye as even the PS2 has a tray style drive. I still have a really old SCSI CD reader that has the clam shell style lid, but it's so damn slow I'm gonna get rid of it soon
Old 01 August 2002, 00:54   #38
Unknown_K

Well alot of people are complaining about PS2 scratching thier cd's
Old 01 August 2002, 07:42   #39
jmmijo

Hmm, well any drive could do this tray or otherwise, less likely with the older clam-shell or flip-lid style of course but it can still happen

I figure there is a certain amount of scratching that will occur anyways, if somebody is that anal about it then they shouldn't use it at all, remember this is a man-made product so nothings perfect and it will take a certain amount of abuse before giving out anyways
Old 01 August 2002, 12:23   #40
Unregistered

xbox cpu is just a modified celeron 733 mhz

not exactly the greatest cpu to run uae on is it?
last time i checked, winuae doesnt use any High Level Emulation using 3d hardware......