English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 21 July 2007, 14:23   #1
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Classic OS System.zip file problems

Hi,

I have been trying and trying to get the system.zip compressed right, but it will not have any of it. I manage to compress it in Winuae using Dopus, as it states in the Classic OS instructions and also using the config listed there. It compresses, I test the archive and it says all ok, no errors, i then test it in windows, same thing no errors.

I then copy the system.zip to my CF card, then transfer it to my freshly SFS partitioned MicroDrive. After this, i insert the real amiga install disk, it boots and then starts decompressing. About 3 mins in, it says offset error, then pauses for 2 mins. After that it carries on but all the characters are scrambled.

As I have said, i have tried and tried, with same result. I have also tried using my CF card as HD and get same results. The only other way i have managed to get it to work was my copying the files from the hdf to folder on desktop, but as it states in the instructions, some files are lost.

I know my setup is fine, cause i can install 3.1 and 3.9 fine. Just this system.zip which is causing me stress. I have no way to connect drive to my PC (to be honest, i wouldnt want to mess with my pc setup anyway).

Any help would be great.

EDIT:- K, fixed this, it turned out that my microdrive didnt like the ide express, it worked for about 30 mins, then it fried, now its dead, . same thing happened to my 4gb compact flash. So im back to using my 10 year old hd, which works awesome in express mode.

Last edited by FOL; 22 July 2007 at 12:31.
Old 21 July 2007, 16:57   #2
thomas

Quote:
I then copy the system.zip to my CF card, then transfer it to my freshly SFS partitioned MicroDrive.
What do you mean by "transfer" ? Do you copy it to the micro drive and then unpack it or do you unpack it directly from the CF ?

Quote:
I know my setup is fine, cause i can install 3.1 and 3.9 fine.
Did you ever try to read big files from this drive (bigger than 128kb) ?

I'd suggest to set the MaxTransfer value of the source drive to 0xfe00. The source drive is the one the system.zip file is on when you uncompress it.

To set the MaxTransfer value for the Microdrive, run HDToolbox, go to Partition Drive, enable Advanced Options and click on Change...

To set the MaxTransfer value of the CF adaper, edit its mountlist in Devs/DosDrivers and reboot.
Old 21 July 2007, 17:48   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
What do you mean by "transfer" ? Do you copy it to the micro drive and then unpack it or do you unpack it directly from the CF ?

Did you ever try to read big files from this drive (bigger than 128kb) ?

I'd suggest to set the MaxTransfer value of the source drive to 0xfe00. The source drive is the one the system.zip file is on when you uncompress it.

To set the MaxTransfer value for the Microdrive, run HDToolbox, go to Partition Drive, enable Advanced Options and click on Change...

To set the MaxTransfer value of the CF adaper, edit its mountlist in Devs/DosDrivers and reboot.

I made the system.zip in winuae using dopus, then placed the zip onto my CF card, then copied that across to my sfs formatted drive. I already setup all the max transfer etc etc. prior to putting the zip on DH0:. So from this we can see it does indeed read/write large files fine. Also as I said i can install 3.1 and 3.9 OS fine.

Ive always had a problem getting zip to unpack correctly, this is the first time i have tried getting help with it as it was doing my head in. Its definately not my setup as i have already said, it was running fine prior to me reformatting and starting from scratch. I just settled for copying the classicWB to pc folder then over to amiga using cf card, therefore bypassing the zip process. I therefore end up loosing files, . So I really want to get it to work the correct way.

EDIT:- SOLVED, my microdrive died. The problems got worse after posting this, til the drive was dead.

Last edited by FOL; 23 July 2007 at 23:44.