English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 April 2013, 09:53   #2921
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbot View Post
I'm playing Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies on my Samsung Note. I'm using a Portable Playstation emulator called PPSSPP. The games look and run great. With the two control buttons on the upper left and right corner of the screen, it's very easy to play. My phone has a 5+ inch screen and the colors are very vivid.
Nice! Games like those are perfect for handheld gaming, sounds cool to play them like that.
I've never played the Playstation versions, how are they compared to the Amiga ones?

As for me, I've played more Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams... it's taking me quite a while to progress in this game, not because it's very difficult (though it has a decent challenge, luckily) but because I want to collect everything.
When you finish a level, you get to know how many crystals were in the level and how many of them you found... of both the big ones (3-5), and the small ones (I think 703 is the most in a level so far).
You need to find most of them to get the max number of stars for a level, and you also need to die 5 or less times.

Anyway, the difficult part about that is you pretty much need to find every secret in each level to do that, and some are pretty difficult to find.

Still, I love collecting everything and it's not as frustrating as it sounds... I'm having a lot of fun doing it. I love discovering secret areas, especially if it's one I've overlooked for a while first.
Old 05 April 2013, 08:48   #2922
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

hmmm secrets. Gimby loves secrets.

I'm a bit of a magpie in gaming to be honest, the games that have collectables hook me the longest. I can play the hated Far Cry 2 right now simply because it contains plenty of things to find.
Old 07 April 2013, 16:18   #2923
Hillsy_

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Giana Sisters Twisted, I really like this game so far... the music is great (as it should be, courtesy of Machinae Supremacy), and the graphics are really damn nice... it's a bit easy so far but I just finished the first world so that is to be expected.
It gets harder, final boss took me over 60 lives I may have been having a crap day though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I've been giving Dead Space 2 a go. Really freaky right from the first second, I love that. In gameplay it is very similar to the first one but more combat oriented. I'm on the fence about that, its not a survival horror game anymore. I loved the suspense of the first game, always having to be on your toes. In this one I am already playing a little more Rambo style because there is no real punishment for it.
Chapter 10 is excellent, even some Resident Evil influence too later. Nice game.
Old 07 April 2013, 16:34   #2924
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_ View Post
It gets harder, final boss took me over 60 lives I may have been having a crap day though.
Did you use the Trainer!?
Old 07 April 2013, 17:08   #2925
Hillsy_

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Did you use the Trainer!?
Probably should have, but I like a challenge so... no I didn't use a trainer. It was like when...you know you can do it, just one more go kind of a game. Thought the game was great, check out the Giana Sisters DS version too, another quality remake too.
Old 07 April 2013, 17:09   #2926
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Chapter 10 is excellent, even some Resident Evil influence too later. Nice game.
I love the hollywoodesque huge action scenes where you are blown into space with gigantic monsters and such, but other than that... it isn't much of a game to be honest. Walk around performing the exact same tricks over and over again. Some of the gravity puzzles are cute, but too easy now that you can fly around wherever you want. The limited moving ability in zero gravity in the first game was a big plus.
Old 07 April 2013, 17:21   #2927
Hillsy_

Quote:
I love the hollywoodesque huge action scenes where you are blown into space with gigantic monsters and such, but other than that... it isn't much of a game to be honest. Walk around performing the exact same tricks over and over again. Some of the gravity puzzles are cute, but too easy now that you can fly around wherever you want. The limited moving ability in zero gravity in the first game was a big plus.
Well I will say complete the game and then see if you still feel the same. I don't want to say too much about the game, as it is better to experience it from beginning to end yourself. When you do finish it, try the 3 save only game, that was fun
Old 21 April 2013, 19:41   #2928
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Been alternating between a few games:

Outrun 2006 (PC) - Not a bad game and the little extras like beating rivals, avoiding meteors, cutting lines, drifting, etc, adds to it's longevity. It's one of those games which is ok if you've half hour to spare as play it for any longer and it gets a little monotonous.

Crystal Castles (MAME) - Like Pacman in 3D. And it don't cost a penny either lol.

GTA4 (PC) - Can't stay away from this one, especially Ballad of Gay Tony. Still replaying completed missions trying to attain 100%. It's flipping 'ard maaan!
Old 21 April 2013, 23:45   #2929
laffer
Zone Friend

Resumed Jazz Jackrabbit... I'm playing on normal this time, instead of hard, so I can take 5 hits rather than 3... makes it quite a bit more fun, as it's so easy to run into enemies and such... it's quite zoomed in, and you move so quickly.
Old 22 April 2013, 07:44   #2930
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy View Post
GTA4 (PC) - Can't stay away from this one, especially Ballad of Gay Tony. Still replaying completed missions trying to attain 100%. It's flipping 'ard maaan!
I can't replay it anymore, for some reason games for windows live crashes on my machine Which is quite crappy since lots of games use that slightly disappointing system (Dark Souls, Batman games). But I don't want to reinstall my stuff either just to be able to play some stupid games :/
Old 22 April 2013, 23:36   #2931
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
I can't replay it anymore, for some reason games for windows live crashes on my machine Which is quite crappy since lots of games use that slightly disappointing system (Dark Souls, Batman games). But I don't want to reinstall my stuff either just to be able to play some stupid games :/
I used to randomly get signed out of Windows Live until I found the source: my kids were signing into the xbox360 using my account to download free demo games. Soon put a stop to that the cheeky little....

Currently playing:

Super Castlevania IV (SNES). Something about these series that keeps me returning. It's a platformer at heart but the gameplay is engrossing. The Amiga version imo was pretty poor in terms of graphics (and loooong loading times) although the SFX were pretty good.
Old 23 April 2013, 21:16   #2932
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Well I will say complete the game and then see if you still feel the same. I don't want to say too much about the game
By the way: ick! (the "operation" scene). But that was the only icky moment really. Nope, I won't be playing part 3.
Old 24 April 2013, 23:32   #2933
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Been playing Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. I loved War for Cybertron, I want to marry this game.
Old 24 April 2013, 23:49   #2934
BippyM
Global Moderator

Re: What are you playing?

Battlefield 3 on pc. Shame I can't transfer my ps3 character and stuff across.
Old 28 April 2013, 17:47   #2935
laffer
Zone Friend

Playing through the 3 CD exclusive episodes of Jazz Jackrabbit, and they're actually not bad at all.
Old 29 April 2013, 09:14   #2936
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Playing through the 3 CD exclusive episodes of Jazz Jackrabbit, and they're actually not bad at all.
I had no idea there was a CD version with more episodes. Now I need to check them out.
Old 30 April 2013, 00:18   #2937
amfpc

Amiga - Snowball
Mac - Limbo
and Defender (arcade)

Old 30 April 2013, 00:52   #2938
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

@amfpc - that's also a habit of mine; alternating between different games on various formats lol.

Android - Candy Crush Saga. Flipping addictive and it's all the wife's fault as she plays this a lot. However, I've been stuck (and still am) on level 33 and you have to wait x minutes to a life or you can pay and I'm buggered if I'm paying out for these. Freemium games are a rip-off! (but I've found a sneaky way of gaining extra lives...)

PC - Future Pinball and the classic Amiga Pinball Dreams/Fantasies tables rendered in 3D without losing the original gameplay ball physics and even scorecard font.

Amiga - Magic Pockets. That bulge in his (Bitmap Kid) pocket still looks inconspicuous to me.... cracking game from the Bitmap Brothers. Still uncompleted.
Old 30 April 2013, 01:13   #2939
AmigaFriend

PC: Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. Just played TombRaider like 15 minutes till now I hope to have more time in the following months.
Old 30 April 2013, 01:17   #2940
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy View Post
Amiga - Magic Pockets. That bulge in his (Bitmap Kid) pocket still looks inconspicuous to me.... cracking game from the Bitmap Brothers. Still uncompleted.
I never did complete it. Loved the sound effects! Pow! Hup hup! lol I guess there is probably a trainer version that I can now access to complete it!

PC - Broken Sword - Angel of Death (been playing (or trying) since it released!)

Amiga - Blues Brothers - inspiration from recent movie on TV!

Android - 4 pics 1 word

Me - myself... that just sounds wrong on so many levels lol

Last edited by DH; 30 April 2013 at 01:27. Reason: Fixed quote