English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 30 March 2008, 21:59   #1
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Cybernoid WHDLoad Slave Update

Ok, this is my first completed attempt at anything like this, so go easy on me please guys.

I've updated the Cybernoid [(c)1988 Hewson] WHDload slave by Bored Seal , and the new beta is now in The Zone. Slightly overdue i guess, given that the last update was in 1999! A lot of thanks is owed to Wepl, JOTD and BippyM for helping me get started, and giving me lots of encouragement.

My main priority was to remove the dependence on the keyboard or any other non-joystick devices (i.e. the mouse) and hopefully the game will even run nicely on a vanilla CD32 now.

I have a few extras i might like to add in future, but i'm hoping this first-attempt, which has been a big learning experience for me, will well received, and become the first of several updates i hope to be able to do int the future.

thanks, and i look forward to your feedback.

Version 1.2 Beta (30.3.2008)
- Minor code cleanup
- Intro can now be skipped with Joystick fire button
- Second button support for sound effects toggle on menu
- Second button support for cycling weapons in-game
- Trainers;
CUSTOM1=1 - Infinite Lives
CUSTOM2=1 - Infinite Weapons
- Files are now stored in the data/ folder

For registered WHDLoad users only:
- Load / Save scores to HD (disabled if trainers are used)

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 30 March 2008 at 22:24.
Old 31 March 2008, 01:06   #2
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Congratulations! With your enthusiasm for WHDload patching of games not use keyboard and support of greats like Wepl, JOTD and BippyM I look forward to your next install.
Old 31 March 2008, 01:10   #3
girv
Mostly Harmless

Nice work HH, welcome to the gang Not bad, for a human.

I tried your updated slave quickly and it looks to be fine.

Two questions: WHY and HOW is the Amstrad CPC version of Cybernoid so much better than the Amiga version!?
Old 31 March 2008, 01:26   #4
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Congratulations! With your enthusiasm for WHDload patching of games not use keyboard and support of greats like Wepl, JOTD and BippyM I look forward to your next install.
thanks Boo Boo! Although i am a long way off creating any new installs myself, i hope i can just provide what little i can with a few tweeks / revisions on abandoned slaves, or where the original authors find themselves too busy to be able to do it themselves.... maybe along the way i might learn a thing or two as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post
Nice work HH, welcome to the gang Not bad, for a human.
means a lot coming from you Girv, especially after the trials i put you through with the Bloodwych update!

Quote:
Two questions: WHY and HOW is the Amstrad CPC version of Cybernoid so much better than the Amiga version!?
oooh!!! i cant agree there, but i can hypothesise a reason... perhaps the Amstrad version shared more with the original Speccy version.... i'd even hazard a guess as to say Cecco may have worked on the Amstrad version himself?
Old 31 March 2008, 02:12   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Good shit man.. let the release factory get started

What's next
Old 31 March 2008, 02:14   #6
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Cybernoid slave 1.3

or Cybernoid 2 slave 1.2 .... hmmm!
Old 31 March 2008, 09:53   #7
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
means a lot coming from you Girv, especially after the trials i put you through with the Bloodwych update!
Shout if you need any of that code explained

Quote:
i'd even hazard a guess as to say Cecco may have worked on the Amstrad version himself?
Yeah, he did

The CPC version is slickness incarnate, but the Amiga version has the look & feel of a PD remake Wasn't there a thread about "Which games are better on the 8-bit?" ?
Old 31 March 2008, 10:27   #8
Graham Humphrey

I think the Amiga version of Cybernoid is rather underrated myself; IMO it's better than the 8-bit versions.
Old 31 March 2008, 10:46   #9
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

oooh - harsh girv!

personally one of the reasons i've always hated the PC remakes of cybernoid, is that they are always based on the 8-bit version and dont have the shine or style of the Amiga version, often looking like cheapness in high-res! still - doesnt stop me loving the original either!

edit: oh, and i kept myself up till the wee hours last night adding more CD32 controls (pause, abandon game), and i've added a check to avoid score saving where the in-game cheat is used. I wont upload a new beta though until i've added as much as i think i want to at this stage.

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 31 March 2008 at 10:55.
Old 31 March 2008, 11:12   #10
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
oooh - harsh girv!
Well maybe I'll take another look just to be sure, but I was playing the CPC version shortly before I tried your updated installer

Up to the wee hours? Now you're a patcher
Old 31 March 2008, 12:57   #11
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i am reminded of the cover of Lemmings;

We are not responsible for:
Loss of Sanity
Loss of Hair
Loss of Sleep

i can only blame WHDload patching for 2 out of 3 so far..... the remainder is hereditary!
Old 31 March 2008, 13:34   #12
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post
Shout if you need any of that code explained

Yeah, he did

The CPC version is slickness incarnate, but the Amiga version has the look & feel of a PD remake Wasn't there a thread about "Which games are better on the 8-bit?" ?
Cecco developped his game on atari ST. Stormlord CPC, cybernoid were gfxed on ST. But yes the colors are so good i agree with you here
very nice !
Old 31 March 2008, 21:44   #13
Graham Humphrey

Here you go Horace - feedback as promised

Firstly, I was pleased to see that running the slave didn't blow up my Amiga. A positive start.

All the options (including the second-button weapon change) work fine, and it didn't crash on me or anything. No tooltypes were needed on the 040.

However I don't see why you had to totally take out the keyboard function for switching weapons? I very rarely use my CD32 pad so I would like to be able to play the game without having to plug it in.

Other than that you've done a good job here; looks like we'll have someone else to bug over installs in the future
Old 31 March 2008, 22:16   #14
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
However I don't see why you had to totally take out the keyboard function for switching weapons? I very rarely use my CD32 pad so I would like to be able to play the game without having to plug it in.
err .. i didnt think i had? i will look into that, as the code is defintately still there!

there's no way i'd remove that kind of code, that'd be silly ... so i guess i have my first bug to fix!

edit: bug is fixed. will get another beta up tonight

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 31 March 2008 at 22:29.
Old 31 March 2008, 22:59   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

revision 2 beta is in the zone.

fixed the f1-f5 bug, and added the checking for the in-game cheat (saves will no longer happen with the RAISTLIN[space] cheat.)

no extra CD32 buttons as yet, that code is still a work-in-progress.
Old 02 April 2008, 22:37   #16
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i know i'm new at this an all, but would anyone be so kind as to confirm the new version is working ok?
Old 03 April 2008, 00:28   #17
Graham Humphrey

Sorry Horace, I've been busy today (I've been meaning to try it out) - I'll test it out for you tomorrow.
Old 03 April 2008, 00:54   #18
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i've found another very minor bug, but i am not sure anyone will even notice!
i will be uploading what i think is hopefully the final version of slave1.2 in a mo when i've compiled it
Old 03 April 2008, 14:23   #19
Graham Humphrey

Just tried it out, it all works without a hitch as far as I can tell, good work.

One thing though: would it be possible to change it so you can use the keyboard to enter your name in the highscore table? Not a big deal but it would be nice to have.
Old 03 April 2008, 14:34   #20
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

hmm... i'll consider it for v1.3, which i am working on giving an option for 'full' cd32 pad support - although i am having trouble with getting multiple-buttons held to operate as i think they should, so i guess it's gonna take a while.
it will take some major investigation, and might take me a lot of time to get names in via keyboard!

i think it is definately do-able, it's likely the little ship will still fly to collect each letter, although possibly that can be avoided. (for me, that would be the main benefit of such a patch)

tbh, it's completely the opposite direction to what i'm trying to achieve, but might serve to teach me more, and gain a bit more experience.

thanks for testing though Graham. Much appriciated.