English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 18 June 2016, 20:38   #21
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Belg
Thanks mate for the quick response! Haven't seen an original of either ever, not even on Ebay in the early days. I have seen one or two people mention that they owned an original copy of the Scenery Disk 1 in the past, but not a peep about Scenery Disk 2......so I kinda had to wonder. Not even the ST has the original of that one dumped AFAIK.

Anyway, TOSEC has ADFs of both originals apparently.....so I'm guessing that CFOU would have used those for his WHDLoad patch. I'd be quite surprised if the person credited in the WHD readme supplied the game + both scenery disks. Guess I'll keep searching for the holy grail with these two Scenery disks......
Old 18 June 2016, 20:47   #22
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Indeed, the adf's seem to be the only proof they ever existed. I've never actually seen the amiga releases anywhere..

But I'm guessing they're either both real releases, or both fakes..(no idea what the disk structure of these are, is it even possible they could just be resource files taken from the ST versions)?
Old 19 June 2016, 03:43   #23
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
@Belg
Thanks mate for the quick response! Haven't seen an original of either ever, not even on Ebay in the early days. I have seen one or two people mention that they owned an original copy of the Scenery Disk 1 in the past, but not a peep about Scenery Disk 2......so I kinda had to wonder. Not even the ST has the original of that one dumped AFAIK.

Anyway, TOSEC has ADFs of both originals apparently.....so I'm guessing that CFOU would have used those for his WHDLoad patch. I'd be quite surprised if the person credited in the WHD readme supplied the game + both scenery disks. Guess I'll keep searching for the holy grail with these two Scenery disks......
Are you sure it is CFOU's? because he gave me access to his images, and goldrunner + data disks are not it.
Old 19 June 2016, 08:19   #24
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@dlfrsilver
It's Goldrunner II (not Goldrunner) that we're speaking of Denis, so yes CFOU did the WHD patch.......

http://whdload.de/games/Goldrunner2.html
Old 19 June 2016, 16:33   #25
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
@dlfrsilver
It's Goldrunner II (not Goldrunner) that we're speaking of Denis, so yes CFOU did the WHD patch.......

http://whdload.de/games/Goldrunner2.html
Yes i perfectly understood, and i found nothing in his game disk image collection.

I will try to ask him if he can send them to me then.
Old 19 June 2016, 18:17   #26
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Indeed, the adf's seem to be the only proof they ever existed. I've never actually seen the amiga releases anywhere..

But I'm guessing they're either both real releases, or both fakes..(no idea what the disk structure of these are, is it even possible they could just be resource files taken from the ST versions)?
Possible I guess if you know what you're doing, but I would think it's quite unlikely. It's a bit curious that Microdeal called them "scenery" disks like subLOGIC did for the Jet/FS2 data disks, though, don't you think?

@dlfrsilver
As I said in another post Denis, I doubt that anyone supplied CFOU with original disk images for the Scenery disks (since they're so rare) and that he probably took them from TOSEC for the purposes of completing the Goldrunner II patch (see HERE).

If someone did actually supply him with disk images from their original copy, then please ask him who so we can contact them to do some scans for HOL.

Last edited by DrBong; 26 June 2016 at 18:00. Reason: Added reply to Belg. Fixed typo too!
Old 19 June 2016, 19:12   #27
Tweeky

Click image for larger version

Name:	goldrunner2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	48909

this is on eBay right now (122009169877)
Old 20 June 2016, 21:55   #28
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Tweeky
Great minds! I spotted that auction last night too when I did an Ebay search on Goldrunner just for kicks. I had to rub my eyes a few times first and check to make sure I was actually seeing what I was seeing in the auction photo! I couldn't hit the BIN button fast enough once I was satisfied that I wasn't hallucinating!!!

There's no jewel case, but the box inlay and game disk will be just fine for HOL purposes. I should have a spare case here somewhere anyway. Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail now!

Just need to win the lottery again and find Scenery Disk 1 now!! Anyway, thanks for being so helpful and for all the great ongoing support you've given HOL over the years with all the rare scans etc. you've contributed
Old 21 June 2016, 15:29   #29
Tweeky

@DrBong

always my pleasure
Old 21 June 2016, 15:34   #30
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
@Tweeky
Great minds! I spotted that auction last night too when I did an Ebay search on Goldrunner just for kicks. I had to rub my eyes a few times first and check to make sure I was actually seeing what I was seeing in the auction photo! I couldn't hit the BIN button fast enough once I was satisfied that I wasn't hallucinating!!!

There's no jewel case, but the box inlay and game disk will be just fine for HOL purposes. I should have a spare case here somewhere anyway. Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail now!

Just need to win the lottery again and find Scenery Disk 1 now!! Anyway, thanks for being so helpful and for all the great ongoing support you've given HOL over the years with all the rare scans etc. you've contributed
Awesome, if you win it or bid on it, send me the RAW files
Old 25 June 2016, 21:37   #31
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post
Attachment 48909

If you look closely at that disk I don't think it's Scenery Data Disk 2, it's just Goldrunner II! I guess it should say Scenery Data Disk 2 on it, Scenery Data Disk 1 actually has Scenery Data Disk 1 printed on it!!

I have Goldrunner II original (Modified with high scores unfortunately) and my disk looks like the one in that auction:

Might have to ask airey36 if he actually has Scenery Disk 2!!

Last edited by BarryB; 25 June 2016 at 22:04.
Old 26 June 2016, 18:28   #32
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post
Attachment 48909

Quote:
@Tweeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
If you look closely at that disk I don't think it's Scenery Data Disk 2, it's just Goldrunner II! I guess it should say Scenery Data Disk 2 on it, Scenery Data Disk 1 actually has Scenery Data Disk 1 printed on it!!

I have Goldrunner II original (Modified with high scores unfortunately) and my disk looks like the one in that auction.

Might have to ask airey36 if he actually has Scenery Disk 2!!
It's all moot now as he emailed me the day after I purchased Scenery Disk 2 to inform me that he didn't have it "in stock", and had mistakenly listed that and a bunch of other games that he had previously sold.

Just to rub salt into the wound, I purchased 6 games all up and 3 of them (incl. Scenery Disk 2) were no longer "in stock". He made it sound like this was a "normal" thing for an Ebay seller in his message and offered not so much as an apology for the epic blunder. I should know better than to buy from airey36 (Tony B.)......God knows I've experienced this bullshit with him in the past with buying Amiga games from him on Ebay. Five years later and nothing has changed - he's still one of the biggest lamers on Ebay!!!

Anyway Barry, you're probably right......knowing airey, he probably lost Scenery Disk 2 (or didn't have one to begin with), found a Goldrunner II disk and thought "close enough" and stuck it in with the inlay in the auction. Even so, I would've paid £6 just to scan the inlay for HOL.

Neither of the Goldrunner II Scenery disks are available on the net from what I can tell (so, pray tell, where did you see scans of Scenery Disk 1?). I did find a disk scan for Scenery Disk 2 (Atari ST), though, and it was properly labelled:

http://www.arcadeartwork.org/picture...7/category/295

On the other hand, however, Microdeal were known for "recycling" game disks. I have one or two Ami games from Microdeal that contain rebadged Atari ST game disks. It's possible then that Microdeal just used leftover Goldrunner II disks for the Ami Scenery Disks. Possible, but quite unlikely in the scheme of things. Can't know for sure until we lay our hands on an actual original copy. TBH I probably have a better chance of winning the lottery at this point. Bah!

Last edited by DrBong; 26 June 2016 at 19:13.
Old 26 June 2016, 21:21   #33
BarryB
Amigaholic

Never had any issues with him when I've bought stuff, so can't comment on the stock issue!

As for this:

It will be in my sweaty little hands next week Will see then if it's a clean disk, not moldy or been written over!
Old 26 June 2016, 22:09   #34
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@BarryB
Me wants!!! Nice find! Where did you source it from - Ebay or elsewhere?!
Old 26 June 2016, 22:12   #35
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Never had any issues with him when I've bought stuff, so can't comment on the stock issue!

As for this:

It will be in my sweaty little hands next week Will see then if it's a clean disk, not moldy or been written over!
You know you want to dump it
Old 26 June 2016, 22:34   #36
BarryB
Amigaholic

Oh it will be dumped Denis, just as soon as it's arrived and the surface inspected and cleaned if necessary!

As for 'where' it was bought, ebay of course! Was scrolling through some listings of Amiga disks and this was listed as Goldrunner II, the small pic of it just looked different to all the other Goldrunner II disks I've seen and sure enough, it was different
Old 26 June 2016, 22:44   #37
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@BarryB
Shame it doesn't have the inlay. Good thing penfold didn't pick up on it being a Scenery disk, though, otherwise he would've added a couple of zeroes to the BIN price! You should've asked him to test it before posting after you bought it - he's actually pretty good about doing that for buyers if they ask.
Old 26 June 2016, 23:40   #38
BarryB
Amigaholic

Actually, it's not a good idea to have anyone 'test' a disk before posting!

Most of these sellers have no clue of the damage they can do to a disk if it's not been stored in ideal conditions! I've had to clean nearly every disk I've had from him as the surface has visible stains/mold/debris on it so I never request anyone to test them, send them to me and I will clean them, dump them and put them back in the box
Old 27 June 2016, 01:04   #39
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@BarryB
Probably wise when it comes to most Ebay sellers auctioning loose disks. So you've had to clean all the disks you've bought before from penfold?
Old 27 June 2016, 01:13   #40
BarryB
Amigaholic

Not all as I said, but most!

You have to visually spin the disk in good light to see if anything is on the surface, mostly it's the white fibrous liner inside the disk that's deteriorated and stuck to the disk!