English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 April 2010, 15:39   #81
TCD

Doesn't make any sense, but whatever floats your boat...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 April 2010, 17:21   #82
LesterChaykin

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
DESTROYING AMIGA DISKS!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I am not destroying anything here, mate.
Old 20 April 2010, 17:24   #83
TCD

You are :

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterChaykin View Post
I will stick to storing my adf's in zipped format on the original amiga disks I can find...
You're destroying the original Amiga data on those disks and replace it with a zip.
Old 20 April 2010, 17:48   #84
LesterChaykin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You are :

You're destroying the original Amiga data on those disks and replace it with a zip.
Well, you could stick it into an Amiga and format it and then use x-copy to put the files there again.
But I know you feinschmeckers are having some trouble with this idea! I guess we cannot really come together on this.

But I'll leave this topic - I got my answers. Thanks to Toni for making this great emulator!
Old 20 April 2010, 17:53   #85
Retro1234

Remember its only going to load once from the Floppy at the begining.
Old 20 April 2010, 17:55   #86
TCD

Quote:
Well, you could stick it into an Amiga and format it and then use x-copy to put the files there again.
Depending on the game you might be able to do that. With most games you won't be able to do that (Kyroflux set aside for now). The original game information is lost. If you would buy and overwrite a game that isn't dumped by SPS yet that would be something you should think about twice.
Old 20 April 2010, 18:34   #87
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
Presumably you could even do that with your original Amiga game disks... pointless of course
Which is what I said I am doing now...
Not everyone has a real Amiga tho..

Hmmm...
What's wrong with him wanting to swap disks.
It's not stupid if that's what he wants to do.
It might not be feasible/realistic for WinUAE to do it, but that doesn't mean everyone has to make it sound like he's an idiot for asking for what he wants.

Just because "You" don't want to swap disks, doesn't mean someone else can't want to do that.

I actually like the retro feel of disk swapping, both on my Amiga and on my C64 (Yes, without a fastloader even). So I have the actual hardware.

Having it available with just a key press might be something that would appeal to retro fans who don't have the hardware.

Apparently you can map a key to do some ADF swapping now, which might be close enough for him. Although it sounds like you have to pre-build your lists, which isn't quite the same as being able to pop in any disk/adf and go.

You guys need to relax. Just because you don't agree doesn't make something stupid.

desiv

p.s. Ruining original Amiga floppies tho.. That is stupid.. DON'T!!! EVER!!!
Old 20 April 2010, 18:41   #88
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
You guys need to relax. Just because you don't agree doesn't make something stupid.
You swap the disk, WinUAE loads the whole ADF at once, it has nothing to do with an Amiga disk load process. You're doing it because it 'feels' like there is something 'Amiga' in the process of putting a PC disk in a USB drive. For me that qualifies for this explanation of the word stupid : "5. Pointless; worthless" If you follow the thread, you might get that I wasn't completly against the idea until he started talking about overwriting original Amiga disks.
Old 20 April 2010, 18:48   #89
desiv

Quote:
You're doing it because it 'feels' like there is something 'Amiga' in the process of putting a PC disk in a USB drive. For me that qualifies for this explanation of the word stupid : "5. Pointless; worthless"
So, if you're only doing something because it "feels" right to you, that's stupid? Hmmmm..

desiv
Old 20 April 2010, 18:56   #90
TCD

Er... I never used the word stupid btw I meant that it has no 'objective' sense to do it, thus 'pointless'
Old 20 April 2010, 19:03   #91
desiv

Quote:
Er... I never used the word stupid btw I meant that it has no 'objective' sense to do it, thus 'pointless'
er...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid
For me that qualifies for this explanation of the word stupid
um...

Actually, it's perfectly fine if you think its stupid.
For you (and most people out there), it probably is...
Doesn't mean it is for him...

TTYL

desiv
Old 20 April 2010, 19:06   #92
TCD

Yeah, but you used it before Anyway, I get your point and I'm just against overwriting original Amiga disks. Otherwise it's surely a matter of personal preference
Old 20 April 2010, 19:18   #93
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
I am not destroying anything here, mate.
Chances are you are.
Old 20 April 2010, 19:55   #94
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
out of interest LesterChaykin when or if you get it doing what you want def post how you did it and how long you use it for
Old 20 April 2010, 21:55   #95
desiv

Quote:
Yeah, but you used it before Anyway, I get your point and I'm just against overwriting original Amiga disks. Otherwise it's surely a matter of personal preference
True.. :-)

Yes, I agree. He says "no" now, but it sounded like he was going to overwrite Amiga originals, which makes angels cry..

desiv
Old 20 April 2010, 22:14   #96
antonvaltaz

Won't most Amiga floppies be duds now anyway, as they will be 15-25 years old? I thought the data on floppies was only reliable for about 10 years?
Old 20 April 2010, 23:55   #97
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
Won't most Amiga floppies be duds now anyway, as they will be 15-25 years old? I thought the data on floppies was only reliable for about 10 years?
I've got a huge floppy collection and I get them out from time to time and most seem to work fine.

Reminds me of the old Dayz...
Old 21 April 2010, 01:13   #98
XimeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I've got a huge floppy collection and I get them out from time to time and most seem to work fine.

Reminds me of the old Dayz...
Same here. I've got some 20yr old floppies that work perfectly.
Old 21 April 2010, 09:11   #99
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Yeah loading from floppy is cool enough even though i tend not to bother doing much of it.I'm glad to be able to do this from time to time but really it's only for some single disk games, those that are yet on WHD or maybe because i want a little nostalgia in the form of a crack intro.I wouldn't want to rely on this method these days though as we have a choice now

I sometimes load Spectrum and C64 tape images into emulation and it's fun doing so but realistically it would be fairly absurd to play the 8bits this way now

What is especially cool i find is transfering the data from an adf to a real floppy and then loading that- i find it amusing that i am able to do this in the first place

One thing that's pretty much the same every time with stuff like this is how you just can't re-create the past.No matter how much you try and emulate by way of physically setting up nostalgia, it's never the same feeling and we're better to just stop chasing after these memories.If anything you can destroy some of the joy a memory is by going after it too much

Lucky for me Amiga isn't so much a trip down memory lane as iv'e always used them
Old 21 April 2010, 17:09   #100
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Quote:
But I know you feinschmeckers are having some trouble with this idea! I guess we cannot really come together on this.

But I'll leave this topic - I got my answers. Thanks to Toni for making this great emulator!
Warning!

I believe some copy protected games will fail to run in the (standard) adf format. So in those cases by overwriting you will lose the original game for good and won't even be able to play it in winuae.

Just a better idea not to do it altogether unless you want to lose some of your games.

Use some new floppies and scan and print the old labels if you really want the look of the original. Also the media on the brand new floppy will be more reliable. The bonus is you can then sell the originals of the games that you have made copies of.
AdSense AdSense