English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 11 January 2019, 11:51   #1
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Turtles World Tour - copy protected version?

I recently got hold of a copy of this game but it's not the same as the disk image posted by Akira here. I Kryoflux'ed it and all tracks are green except track 0 on side 1, which is grey, so I believe this to be a special track for copy protection.

However, Kryoflux doesn't seem to be able to handle the copy protection because the game doesn't start in WinUAE (using the Kryoflux raw image). It boots for a few seconds but then the screen flashes and the game resets, presumably because the copy protection kicked in?

Since the game is also on SPS' wanted list... can somebody take a look what's wrong there? As I said, the disk should be ok because everything is green except track 0 side 1 which is probably the copy protection track.

I've uploaded the raw image here: https://ufile.io/7hojj
Old 11 January 2019, 12:18   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Yes, it's protection related. Once the (pretty useless) protection is disabled, the game works.
Old 11 January 2019, 12:38   #3
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

But if Kryoflux isn't able to break the protection, then it's not that useless, isn't it?
Old 11 January 2019, 13:02   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I don't judge the quality of a protection by how Kryoflux handles it. It is a pretty useless protection which took me about 20 seconds to disable. Having debug symbols in the protection code didn't make it any harder....
Old 11 January 2019, 13:07   #5
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

So isn't it possible to create a working CT raw image with Kryoflux of the disk without manually disabling the protection?
Old 11 January 2019, 13:11   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
So isn't it possible to create a working CT raw image with Kryoflux of the disk without manually disabling the protection?
hi Please make a CTraw file, and upload it to the zone. I will process it in 3 hours when i'm home from work.

I will check what it is, and you will be able to use it under winuae.
Old 11 January 2019, 13:33   #7
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

@dlfrsilver: Thanks, but I've already made one. See my original post for the link
Old 11 January 2019, 13:51   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
@dlfrsilver: Thanks, but I've already made one. See my original post for the link
ok, i'll pick it and will make an IPF.
Old 11 January 2019, 14:02   #9
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Great, can't wait to play this gem
Old 13 January 2019, 14:06   #10
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Great, can't wait to play this gem
Hi. It appears the protection track is not correctly imaged. that's why it doesn't work in RAW format in winuae.

It's a long track.

Can you please make a redump ?
Old 13 January 2019, 14:07   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I don't judge the quality of a protection by how Kryoflux handles it. It is a pretty useless protection which took me about 20 seconds to disable. Having debug symbols in the protection code didn't make it any harder....
PS : can you hint at the type of the protection Sting ? Because currently, it's not a copylock, not a protec, nor a speedlock one.
Old 13 January 2019, 15:35   #12
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Here are 4 more dumps of the disk... but none of them works in WinUAE, maybe the protection track got its data damaged? But all the other tracks are green!

https://ufile.io/46dl9
Old 13 January 2019, 15:38   #13
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
PS : can you hint at the type of the protection Sting ? Because currently, it's not a copylock, not a protec, nor a speedlock one.
Btw, this shows how ridiculously popular the Turtles brand was back then that they even bothered to protect such dull coloring games. Though not all versions were protected. Akira posted another version here that isn't protected but it also seems to be quite different from the one I got.
Old 13 January 2019, 15:48   #14
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post

No idea if there is any name for the protection but it works by timing how long it takes to read the protection track.
Old 13 January 2019, 20:50   #15
BarryB
Amigaholic

Can you redump on another drive and upload the actual KF dump, not the raw image?
Old 14 January 2019, 00:03   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I've had a look....

And i've never seen it before, I suspect its written specifically for this game, and oddly being American, it uses on disk protection which other than Ben Herndon, and the odd Broderbund game, most avoided it.

The disk code for it isn't obfuscated at all, and its obvious, but you don't even need to crack it to defeat it.

If you want to crack it yourself, simply do the following, no code knowledge needed

1). Copy over a "LoadWB" file from a Workbench 1.2 or 1.3 disk over the one in the Turtles C directory (the protection read code is attached to the LoadWB file).

2). Go onto Aminet and download: http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/flipf

3). copy the "flipf" file from that archive to the disk

4). Edit the startup-sequence file so the first line has FLIPF as the first line and then save

Reboot and then "enjoy"

Pretty useless protection really, once you click on the "Electric Crayon" file in Workbench it tests to see if the audio filter is on or off, if it passed it copy protection check in the LOADWB file, it turns the filter off.

Even someone mucking around by accident could crack this game without breaking a sweat!
Old 14 January 2019, 22:49   #17
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Can you redump on another drive and upload the actual KF dump, not the raw image?
Ok, so here is an archive with full KF dumps. The first one was made with a Sony drive, the second one with a Panasonic drive: https://ufile.io/9scjz

Quote:
The disk code for it isn't obfuscated at all, and its obvious, but you don't even need to crack it to defeat it.
Maybe he was young and needed the money because apparently the author of that Turtles Amiga version later wrote the Game Genie firmware and encryption tools for the SNES according to his website

Or the protection you guys found with all the debugging symbols in it is just a n00b bait and the real killer protection kicks in much later in the game
Old 14 January 2019, 23:55   #18
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Or the protection you guys found with all the debugging symbols in it is just a n00b bait and the real killer protection kicks in much later in the game
Lol, i'm sure there are some very stern looks in your direction right now

Thanks for the KF dumps too
Old 15 January 2019, 00:10   #19
lesta_smsc

Excuse my ignorance but I was under impression with KF you imaged the disk to make an exact copy. Does this mean that this particular disk cannot have an exact working copy unless some modifications were done to raw image/IPF?
Old 15 January 2019, 00:20   #20
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Lol, i'm sure there are some very stern looks in your direction right now
...there was

I believe Sir Galahad might just be experienced enough to know what he's talking about; and not fall for "n00b bait".