Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 30 May 2008, 03:08   #1
gulliver
BoingBagged

AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag #3

AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag #3 - UPDATED 03-DIC-2009
====================
NO WARRANTIES: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Well, it seems pretty clear nowadays (may 29th 2008), Amiga Inc is going nowhere, and there is not even a clear path of upgrade for Classic Amiga 68k users. So I decided to recreate an Amiga Boing Bag list that could include nearly all current semi-official patches for 3.9. Caution has been taken to avoid the use of patches that may cause problems, but then i can guarantee nothing.
This Boing Bag has been tested on both an A1200 and UAE with different configurations, and it works beatifully!
A word of warning: This list was created in an attempt to create a post AmigaOS 3.9 boing
bag #2 update, its proper installation requires of a skilled Amiga user!
For futher details keep on reading this document.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To get the latest updates, downloads and information, visit: http://lilliput.host-cafe.com

__________________________________________________________________________________________

AMIGAOS 3.9 BOING BAGS I & II

AMIGAOS 3.9 PROGRAM UPDATES

AHI 6.7

AMPlifier 2.35
somehow download and install the AmiKit package, its in there, just take the time to etxract & replace your AMPlifier files from over there.

XADmaster V12.1a + XADmaster.key.

AWeb APL Lite 3.5 (version 3.5.09)

Action (MooVId) 1.6
Added support for: INTEL INDEO 3.1 & 3.2 (IV31/IV32), JPEG/JFIF (MOV) 8/24bit, QT3/QT4/QT5 streaming MOV files, 3IVX Delta 1/2 (3iv1), QT 64bit filesupport, OpenDivx/DIVX4/DIVX5.xx (DIVX/DX50), MPEG4/MPEG4 V1 (DIV1/MPG4/MP41), MPEG4 V2 (MP42), MPEG4 V2 (MP43), MPEGI/Layer2 audio (mp2), MPEGI/Layer3 audio (mp3), Sorenson Codecs (QT/SVQ1), MPEG4/QT6, and lots of bugs got fixed & few new features.

A file named "3ivx1d3_codec_68k Moovid.lha" that is the 3iv1 Delta 3 codec distribution for 68k Amigas and works with MooVid

AMIGAOS 3.9 REPLACEMENTS:

Serial.device v43.7 is buggy and is causing modem connection problems. Use previous serial.device v43.4, which allows you to connect fine.

There are two sets of printer drivers on the 3.9 CD:
The drivers in: AmigaOS3.9:Emergency-Boot/Devs/Printers/ are the original drivers from the OS 3.5 CD, and should work fine.
The drivers in: AmigaOS3.9:OS-Version3.9/Workbench3.9/Storage/Printers/ are from Boing Bag 1, and are known to be buggy.

For omniscsi.device users (GVP scsi boards & adapters), there is a bug in PlayCD, and a workaround called "playcdkludge"

There is a new appp.device v3.4 which has a new function that lets you use long usernames and activates a DSL-mode that negotiates the necessary options for a DSL line with the dialup computer.

AMIGAOS 3.9 UPDATE PATCHES

Amigaguide.datatype 45.6 - Fixes race condition with amigaguide.datatype V45.5: some guide
documents are not displayed properly if their size is odd.

Genesis has packet fragmentation issues. There is a fix for that

Icon.library 46.4a - Icon/Copy takes ICONCTRLA_SetGlobalMaxNameLength into account now, plus many fixes, no more memory leaks using Deficons tool etc. IconBeFast like functionality. it is optimized for 68020+ and is romable

MultiView 45.10 - Many fixes

Rexxsyslib.library 44.2 - fixes longword write into unallocated memory

Workbench.library 45.131 - Too many fixes

The CacheCDFS shipped in OS 3.9 always mounts a CD as "Unnamed" if its
name consists of identical characters (e.g. "Q", "GG", "WWW", ...).

Asyncio.library 40.6 - few bug fixes

Awn-pipe 2.54 – Adds new features to this pipe and GUI generator

Say – Boingbag3 marks the return of the popular speech program, that now supports different accents.

Workbench.guide – A general help guide for BoingBag3 users, should be placed into SYS:Locale/Help/english/Sys/. So from now on, pressing the Amiga keyboard ¨Help¨ key, will make this workbench.guide, to automatically be displayed.

KICKSTART ROM UPDATES

Scsci.device 44.2- Adds proper LBA48 IDE support, so disks upto 144 petabytes (144,000,000 gigabytes)can be used. NOTE:HDToolbox works fine (at least up to 160GB) Some version create stupid default partitions but just manually delete them before creating "real" partitions. It also fixes a bug that overwrites memory past the allocated bytes. Adds speedyIDE optimizations

Shell 45.27 - Too many bugfixes to list

RAM-Handler 44.24 - Fixes the RAM disk to show the real size occupied - its no longer
100% full.

Console.device 44.10 - Fixed bug with rp_Font usage; console caches rp_Font of last opener's window in its own device base and could make use of it even after that window was closed. This could lead to race conditions such as accessing unallocated memory. For safety, this cached rp_Font copy is reset to gb_DefaultFont on each CloseDevice() now. It also fixes an ancient bug of console.device which doesn't reset text styles on CSI0m if aSDSS command was used.

FastFileSystem 45.15 - fixes mismatched memory deallocations and disk validation bug of FastFileSystem V45.13.

FUTURE
I hope someday someone can actually create an automated install script that installs all of this stuff!
If you happen to develop or meet by chance a cool and friendly AmigaOS 3.9 patch, then dont hesitate to add it to this list.
Hopefully i might release an AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag 3 contribution software list (Some usefull 3rd party software for 3.9).

CREDITS FOR THEIR PROGRAMS & PATCHES (Thanks to all of them)
Doobrey
Peter Keunecke
Toni Wilen
Chris Hodges
Thomas Richter
Ralph Babel
AWeb APL Development Team
Thorsten Hansen
Dirk Stoecker
László Török
Mikolaj Calusinski
Oliver Roberts
Christian Sauer
Thomas Bickel
Ratte
The AHI Team
MM

THE AUTHOR
I wish to remain anonymous, i am doing this as a contribution to our small Amiga
community. I hope someone finds it usefull.

Last edited by gulliver; 09 December 2009 at 06:50.
Old 30 May 2008, 07:41   #2
NovaCoder

Cool, thanks for your efforts

Now who's got the skills to create a nice user friendly automated install script for us 'skill challenged' individuals?
Old 30 May 2008, 20:38   #3
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

What about ShellUpdate, that was going to be part of Boing Bag 3 but was released alone when the "official" BB3 was cancelled?

We should package all packages in one archive and write an installer script to run all the different installers for the various packages.

By the way what is the relationship between this "Boing Bag 3" and the "Boing Bag 3" mentioned here: http://www.monkeyhouse.eclipse.co.uk/amiga/boingbag/ ? The other one looks to have more components, perhaps this one is incomplete?
Old 30 May 2008, 20:41   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

wow, thanks, that's a lot of updates for us classic 3.9 users, but, as NovaCoder said... any help?
Old 30 May 2008, 23:52   #5
gulliver
BoingBagged

Sorry guys, i havent got either the time or the knowledge to buid an automated script, i was hoping someone over here would eventually help.

@Minuous the boing bag 3 that you pointed out to, is a rough draft, a concept, a desirable one though, but has not been updated for a long while and "seems" more complete because it includes software that it is not and never was part of AmigaOS 3.9
Old 14 July 2009, 08:38   #6
NovaCoder

Just found this old thread

I've finally got around to applying these patches to my 1200. As I'm a lazy bugger I found an easier way to do it. I installed AmiKit on my PC which comes with most of these updates and then mounted the AmiKit directory on my Amiga's desktop. It was then a simple case of drag and drop (it also helps if you're using BlizKick to softkick your boingbag updates).

Old 14 July 2009, 20:54   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
RAM-Handler 44.23 should be 44.24 (after patched).

Nice work on listing them all. Took me days to track down them all, wish you had compiled this list sooner, .

You have listed some program updates I didnt know about though, .

The Scsi and filesystem patches are a must. I have been testing and have been able to boot off a 20GB and 40GB boot partition. Im still testing, trying to push it to the limit, .
Old 14 July 2009, 23:37   #8
Ratte

icon.library 45.5
scsi.device 44.2
Old 15 July 2009, 00:28   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
icon.library 45.5
scsi.device 44.2
I think your quoting old patches there.

I would rather go with the patch Toni and others done, which lets you go over the 128GB limit. It was released a few months ago.

The icon.library is an 3.5 version that is patched. The icon.library patch posted here is the 3.9 BB2 patch.
Old 15 July 2009, 01:33   #10
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I think your quoting old patches there.

I would rather go with the patch Toni and others done, which lets you go over the 128GB limit. It was released a few months ago.

The icon.library is an 3.5 version that is patched. The icon.library patch posted here is the 3.9 BB2 patch.
Also note that IconBeFast further patches icon.library.

Quote:
This patch is appended with 2 extra hunks to the icon.library.
The supported iconlibs are v44.532, v44.543, v45.1 and v45.4.
Since v45.5 is a special version for older WB 3.1 Amigas with
68000, most users will not need it. I would recommend v45.4.6!
V45.5.5 has no data hunk for its cache and can work from ROM.

Old 08 August 2009, 16:36   #11
b1k3rdude

How goes this project..?
Old 08 August 2009, 18:06   #12
gulliver
BoingBagged

Well, basicly i found even more updated stuff to add to this Boing bag #3 list, but i couldnt get enough time to make an installer script for it.

Hopefully someone will take this challenge.
Old 09 August 2009, 18:13   #13
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
RAM-Handler 44.23 should be 44.24 (after patched).
Quick note, you only need 44.24 if you're putting the ram-handler in ROM.
All I did was remove an unused BSS hunk and bump the revision number.

Quote:
I have been testing and have been able to boot off a 20GB and 40GB boot partition. Im still testing, trying to push it to the limit, .
If anyone is interested in trying, I've uploaded another patch for scsi.device (43.43 IDE only), it includes Platon+Toni's fixes, plus I've optimised the IDE task a little, and removed some left over debugging code.
IIRC(I did it last year, fuzzy memory) it also includes Piru's SpeedyIDE patch from Blizkick.
Works for me, but YMMV etc.
http://www.doobreynet.co.uk/files/remus/scsi_44.2.lha

If anyone is scared of using spatch on a CLI, just plonk the .pch files in Remus/Patches and extract the scsi.device with ROMsplit, it'll save the original, then apply the patches automagically.
Old 09 August 2009, 18:15   #14
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobrey View Post
Quick note, you only need 44.24 if you're putting the ram-handler in ROM.
All I did was remove an unused BSS hunk and bump the revision number.

If anyone is interested in trying, I've uploaded another patch for scsi.device (43.43 IDE only), it includes Platon+Toni's fixes, plus I've optimised the IDE task a little, and removed some left over debugging code.
IIRC(I did it last year, fuzzy memory) it also includes Piru's SpeedyIDE patch from Blizkick.
Works for me, but YMMV etc.
http://www.doobreynet.co.uk/files/remus/scsi_44.2.lha

If anyone is scared of using spatch on a CLI, just plonk the .pch files in Remus/Patches and extract the scsi.device with ROMsplit, it'll save the original, then apply the patches automagically.
Will test it a.s.a.p.

Right, just tested using winuae, and an HDF of 150GB. Using FFS 43.14 and 1 partition (size of drive).
It setup and formatted perfect in IDE0 mode and even booted from perfect.
This patch deffo solves everything, as before with 150GB test hdf, it would hang on formatting.

Just need to find time to try it with deneb on an A4000T. That should be fun, .

Thanks, Doobrey.

Last edited by FOL; 09 August 2009 at 19:40.
Old 11 August 2009, 18:55   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Doobrey, any chance of an A4000T scsi version. Cause I tried the A4000 scsi.device and the A4000T ignored it (as its IDE?) and loaded the original 40.20 scsi.device.

Well, the system sees the 44.2 and uses it, but HDToolBox only wants to use 40.20. So im not sure exactly which is being used. I had an NCR scsi.device and n
Normal scsi.device 43.45 and both saw the same.

Last edited by FOL; 11 August 2009 at 20:30.
Old 11 August 2009, 19:11   #16
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Is there any known issues with using iconbefast patched icon lib 45.4.6 in rom ? Im using it this way (blizzkicked) without any known issue currently. The iconbefast readme surgests only 45.5.6 is safe in rom, but I cant find 45.5 to patch.
Old 11 August 2009, 20:32   #17
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
Is there any known issues with using iconbefast patched icon lib 45.4.6 in rom ? Im using it this way (blizzkicked) without any known issue currently. The iconbefast readme surgests only 45.5.6 is safe in rom, but I cant find 45.5 to patch.
Is'nt Icon.library 45.5 part of the BB2 update?
It should be in the LIBS: directory.
Old 11 August 2009, 20:51   #18
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
45.1 in OS39-bb2. 45.2 via a patch on Aminet and 45.4 via a patch from Amikit. Then 45.4.6 via iconbefast. I dont know where 45.5 comes from.
Old 11 August 2009, 23:00   #19
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
45.1 in OS39-bb2. 45.2 via a patch on Aminet and 45.4 via a patch from Amikit. Then 45.4.6 via iconbefast. I dont know where 45.5 comes from.
Im with you now, .
Old 12 August 2009, 00:33   #20
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Apparently 4.5.5 comes from older versions of WB3.1.