English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 17 October 2020, 23:41   #1
viralbox

Greetings!

Hello!
I was a big C64 fan and also a big fan of the demoscene as I've seen some super impressive stuff from there, but I was really tired of the usual sound the SID makes, and I only have 1 favourite demo on the C64. So I wanted something different, and at first I went to Atari since I'm a big fan of the sound that the TIA and POKEY chip makes, infact I still am! But my interest in the Amiga also grew since somebody sent me some modules to check out, and I also wanted to check out what the demoscene made and I was actually fooled into thinking that the Amiga was alot more powerful than it actually is since I wasn't really familiar with the hardware, and I was also actually surprised to find out that the demoscene started making these stuff that early, and I also loved the amazing artwork they make! I want to try and make similar artwork at some point, infact I'm already trying to. Anyway that's how I got here, and I say Hello! once again... :)
Old 18 October 2020, 04:58   #2
chip

Hi viralbox

Amiga music rulez !

Welcome to the forum
Old 18 October 2020, 05:09   #3
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Welcome, but I'm not sure I understand what you wrote here:

"I was actually fooled into thinking that the Amiga was alot more powerful than it actually is since I wasn't really familiar with the hardware..."

Perhaps that wasn't really what you meant to write? The Amiga's custom chipset is what made/makes the Amiga powerful. One of those custom chips is Paula which allows it to write and play modules with 8-bit (or 14-bit with the DBLPAL mode switch) or 16-bit output with an external sound card such as the Toccata. The Amiga OS alone is arguably more powerful and configurable than the Atari ST. The games and graphics - those are about the same.

Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the forum.
Old 18 October 2020, 05:38   #4
viralbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
Welcome, but I'm not sure I understand what you wrote here:

"I was actually fooled into thinking that the Amiga was alot more powerful than it actually is since I wasn't really familiar with the hardware..."

Perhaps that wasn't really what you meant to write? The Amiga's custom chipset is what made/makes the Amiga powerful. One of those custom chips is Paula which allows it to write and play modules with 8-bit (or 14-bit with the DBLPAL mode switch) or 16-bit output with an external sound card such as the Toccata. The Amiga OS alone is arguably more powerful and configurable than the Atari ST. The games and graphics - those are about the same.

Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the forum.
In that part I was talking about the demoscene, I might've probably worded that wrong. Thanks for letting me know though..