English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 02 October 2020, 11:00   #21
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

In any case I have skipped the PS3/PS4 era, but I am thinking about a PS5 or an XBox Series Hipster for one simple reason... comfortable VR in the living room. That would be the only real beneficial addition that such a console has to my PC. So for now I have no clue which one it is going to be, I'm just really sure I am going to get one or the other this time around. Just gotta see what hardware and games come out first, so it'll be probably at least a year from now.
Old 02 October 2020, 13:25   #22
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
You only need to google a bethesda game along with the word bugs to get inundated by millions of results.

Some are significant, but the sheer number of minor bugs is also significant.

Bethesda's motto is release any old shit, but leave it open to mods so the fans can fix it for us.

I am not sure if you are deluded or just making a poor attempt at trolling.
So, like I said, you can't "Google it" does not cut it.

Secondly, if you actually knew what you're talking about, you'd know that the overwhelming majority of significant bugs were patched out in the offical releases. That's why you can play this game on the consoles without any big problems. Which leads us to that other preposterous claim : "leave it open to mods so they can fix it". Well, there are no mods on consoles (least not back in the day) yet somehow millions of people managed to play and enjoy the likes of Oblivion, Morrowind or FO3, or Skyrim now being a Switch bestseller. And while the community patches are indeed great, they "fix" zillions of things you would never even know were "wrong", like some boulder being out of alignment.

Couple more Captain Obvious-style things : making a game immensely moddable and releasing tools and supporting it is actually - surprise! - an amazing thing, which would be praised in case of any other company.

And making an immensely complex games means there will be plenty of bugs in case of every major gaming release. Perhaps in the parallel universe you inhabit the likes of Witcher, Deus Ex, NMS, every Paradox game ever, etc etc, were released in pristine, bug-free condition, not so in this one though.

Unfortunately these simple truths get in the way of the cool kids and armchair experts' toxic narrative, and so are largerly ignored despite making no sense whatsoever and being childishly unfair.

The only good thing is that the general public in turn ignores these pathetic lamentations and continues to buy their games nonetheless, on a rather large scale. And it's a good thing because it's one company which actually still tries to innovate and push things forward, unlike others who stick to boring templates.
Old 02 October 2020, 13:29   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yes yes Bethesda is usually awesome. So, got any next gen (or should I say current gen) console plans? You know... the topic of this thread?
Old 02 October 2020, 13:34   #24
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Secondly, if you actually knew what you're talking about, you'd know that the [1]overwhelming majority of significant bugs were [2]patched out in the offical releases.
[1]So some remain. Wasn't your argument that there wasn't any at all, ever.

[2]Patched out, so like I said, they release buggy crap.

Anyway, deluded it is, moving on.....
Old 02 October 2020, 19:26   #25
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
deluded
Who needs arguments when you have ad hominems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
So, got any next gen (or should I say current gen) console plans? You know... the topic of this thread?
Yeah, the ones I've mentioned on the previous page

Since we're apparently "moving on" let me reiterate: I'm sitting it out for now, just like it happened with this-gen. There are just no games announced which are exciting enough to be an early adopter (and I never do that anyway).

Instead I'm slowly putting together a gaming PC - the autumn mood got me thinking about AAA games for some reason. And many of the console exclusives are now on PC (I think XBox's by default?). Even Bloodborne/Dark Souls remakes are supposed to come out on PC too.

Even if some miracle happened and TES 6 got announced it will be on PC too. So is Cyberpunk. GTA 6 could be an incentive but they're too busy milking the V (which is totally ridiculous if you think about it) and I doubt it will appear anytime soon.
Old 03 October 2020, 01:24   #26
Pyromania

I skipped PS4 but was an early PS3 buyer so may go for PS5. I never bought any xBoxes. I’m not sure why Microsoft even makes game consoles. It seems a strange market for them to be in.
Old 04 October 2020, 16:07   #27
Mark36

Normally I buy a playstation on launch but the launch titles don't look great for me. I decided to wait until next year this time around.
Old 05 October 2020, 04:14   #28
NovaCoder

Another reason to wait until next year to jump in on a PS5 is that the SSD disc size will be pretty compromised at launch (apparently less than 700 GB usable).

I'll wait until they offer something more substantial so I don't have to do the game shuffle every few weeks.
Old 14 October 2020, 22:34   #29
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Real reason not to get PS5 is actually fact that there sill be no SSD that you can replace / upgrade - SSD will be soldered on board?!

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Playst....497370.0.html

This has ability to be a real lifespan limit for each unit.
Old 15 October 2020, 20:55   #30
dreadnought

...bur the same article says that:

"We can see a simple scenario where Sony can avoid rendering the console useless should the internal SSD inevitably fail. If users are allowed the option to install the OS on the aforementioned secondary M.2 PCIe 4.0 slot, then the rest of the system would be salvaged. This will hopefully be a feature for those unlucky users stuck with malfunctioning internal SSD modules."
Old 16 October 2020, 14:32   #31
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I guess best option will be to wait and see, as there is no direct response from Sony regarding this possible issue.

As for XBox, list of games available on Day 1 for next-gen console:
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Smart Delivery)
  • Borderlands 3 (Smart Delivery)
  • Bright Memory 1.0
  • Cuisine Royale (Smart Delivery)
  • Dead by Daylight (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
  • DIRT 5 (Smart Delivery)
  • Enlisted
  • Evergate
  • The Falconeer (Smart Delivery)
  • Fortnite
  • Forza Horizon 4 (Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Gears 5 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Gears Tactics (Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Grounded (Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • King Oddball (Smart Delivery)
  • Maneater (Smart Delivery)
  • Manifold Garden (Smart Delivery)
  • NBA 2K21
  • Observer: System Redux
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Planet Coaster (Smart Delivery)
  • Sea of Thieves (Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • Tetris Effect: Connected (Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • The Touryst (Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
  • War Thunder (Smart Delivery)
  • Warhammer: Chaosbane Slayer Edition
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (Smart Delivery)
  • WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship (Smart Delivery)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Smart Delivery)
  • Yes, Your Grace (Smart Delivery)
Old 16 October 2020, 17:08   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Seems like Sony wants to minimise manual tinkering with the hardware and software, so if the internal SSD breaks you'll have to send it in for repairs rather than fix it yourself.
Old 16 October 2020, 17:17   #33
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I think that is high probability, just got new letter from Sony regarding PS3, PSP and PS Vita games not available for purchase from Web or App. From today you can get your old games and new one, if you decide, only from hardware, PS3 or PS Vita.

Smart Delivery in xBox list means that if you own game on previous hardware, you own it on new xBox and you are able to play on best platform you own - no need to repurchase games like its case with Nintendo and Sony. I think MS will push to have them all like that.