English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 December 2009, 17:55   #81
ILikeCake

In some versions of NetHack (Slash'Em, I think) one could somehow end up paying shopkeepers with invisible gold pieces...

Old 26 December 2009, 18:41   #82
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Arabian nights. In 1st screen you are arrested in a jail and beside you there is a box with jail door key.
Old 26 December 2009, 18:42   #83
Graham Humphrey

Nah, that doesn't defy logic - that's just slack security guards
Old 27 December 2009, 04:38   #84
Jonathan Drain

Maybe he was in there for years before they left the key by mistake. Arrested for impersonating Soccer Kid
Old 28 January 2010, 09:54   #85
s2325
Zone Friend

Eden Blues (Amstrad CPC, PC, Atari ST) - in future jail you can escape your prison just kicking closed door
Old 07 February 2010, 14:59   #86
Ziaxx
Zone Friend

Just about any games where you find randomly dropped power-ups and other useful gadgets such as weapons and extra ammo everywhere. How come I never find any power-ups whenever I feel tired and could use one in RL? And even if there are power-ups in RL, I never see them randomly dropped on the ground waiting to be picked up.
Old 07 February 2010, 20:51   #87
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Locke View Post
Don't forget the turn-based battles. Turn-based battles never make any sense from a practical point of view, and it's no different there.
JRPGs aren't the only turn-based games, you know. There's games out there that makes sense like Xcom, Temple of Elemental Evil and Jagged Alliance 2.

It works and make sense in those games because squads need to be rigidly controlled, since the player invests so much time in them, and hence does _not_ want them to die.

Kind of like in that ancient game, Chess. I suppose you think it more _logical_ played in real time?
I wouldn't conflate game ideas (like a key in a jail cell) with full blown game engines; that's foolish.
Old 08 February 2010, 11:15   #88
mombasajoe

Hellpigs

Person A ist outside the jail. Person B is inside the jail. A is in a complete different, far, far away location. A finds a key. Player switches to B. B uses the key to escape...

Kick Off 2:
England can win the cup.

Test Drive 2:
European challenge, Switzerland: the road in the middle, a mountain to the right, a mountain to the left...the horizon and its gfx in the middle is visible far away. First bend...you can just see the mountains (curve = narrow)...not the horizon....after the bend the street goes staight on...you can see the horizon again...next bend...you just see the mountains....and so on....that means: Because you can see the horizon in the beginning you can look around bends.
Old 08 February 2010, 11:25   #89
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasajoe View Post
Kick Off 2:
England can win the cup.
Hahah!! You Bar Steward!!!
Old 08 February 2010, 17:42   #90
Jonathan Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziaxx View Post
How come I never find any power-ups whenever I feel tired and could use one in RL? And even if there are power-ups in RL, I never see them randomly dropped on the ground waiting to be picked up.
That's because Soccer Kid picked them all up, even the secret ones hidden in trees
Old 08 February 2010, 20:49   #91
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
JRPGs aren't the only turn-based games, you know. There's games out there that makes sense like Xcom, Temple of Elemental Evil and Jagged Alliance 2.

It works and make sense in those games because squads need to be rigidly controlled, since the player invests so much time in them, and hence does _not_ want them to die.

Kind of like in that ancient game, Chess. I suppose you think it more _logical_ played in real time?
I wouldn't conflate game ideas (like a key in a jail cell) with full blown game engines; that's foolish.
You're right; I might as well ask why Mario doesn't just walk past the Goombas and Koopas...

...oh, wait.
Old 09 February 2010, 01:28   #92
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Locke View Post
You're right; I might as well ask why Mario doesn't just walk past the Goombas and Koopas...

...oh, wait.
Mario turn-based mode? Mario cannot move past the Goomba as that would be an illegal action. A command would be given in a menu by the player to jump over or on top of the Goomba, or to elude the Goomba, and success or failure would be determined by game mechanics.

Now if Mario jumps over the Goomba, his turn ends and the Goomba's begins. The Goomba then moves towards Mario as is it's propensity. Rinse and repeat.

Mario has *no* advantage as time is frozen in turn-based mode; you fundamentally misunderstand it. It is *not* illogical. :-)
Old 09 February 2010, 01:55   #93
s2325
Zone Friend

Planet of the Apes (PC) - inventory is not accessible when crouching, also hero is almost naked so I don't know where he has all the items...
Old 09 February 2010, 02:08   #94
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Mario turn-based mode? Mario cannot move past the Goomba as that would be an illegal action. A command would be given in a menu by the player to jump over or on top of the Goomba, or to elude the Goomba, and success or failure would be determined by game mechanics.

Now if Mario jumps over the Goomba, his turn ends and the Goomba's begins. The Goomba then moves towards Mario as is it's propensity. Rinse and repeat.

Mario has *no* advantage as time is frozen in turn-based mode; you fundamentally misunderstand it. It is *not* illogical. :-)
You completely missed the point of my post. You had earlier said that turn-based combat was exempt from judgement as it was the core of the gameplay, rather than an illogical aspect of the game's world; I replied with another example of a silly-in-the-real-world gameplay mechanic: the idea that a character in a side-on 2D game can't simply walk past his enemies. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of turn-based-combat itself, and, frankly, I'm stumped as to what you thought my point actually was.

Last edited by Dan Locke; 09 February 2010 at 23:12.
Old 09 February 2010, 03:23   #95
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Planet of the Apes (PC) - inventory is not accessible when crouching, also hero is almost naked so I don't know where he has all the items...
In the same vein, Gods:
- you need to crouch to pick up an item (OK let's say it is to reach the item with the arm)

- hero is almost naked so I don't know where he has all the items... (© s2325 )
Actually, this is another story. In the intro he is almost naked, has an axe and a sheathed sword on his back. Then when starting the game he has lost his two weapons but gained a body armor??? And anyway, I don't think the armor has pockets to hold all the vases and such he can collect.

- the hero cannot shoot when crouched .
At least if he was throwing from below (softball-like throw), one could say that this is because his arms are too long and he does not want to be hurt by shooting when crouched because it would grind his hands on the ground. But no, he fires by raising then lowering his arm.

As for our two real-time VS turn-based debaters, would you both be kind and write a detailed review of:
- X-Com Apocalypse real-time mode vs turn-based mode
- this game called Tempest which is an attempt at a sort of real-time chess (check the video introduction). I never took the time to try it so I am counting on your reviews.

Old 09 February 2010, 17:26   #96
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Dan Locke & Falcon Flight
Funny to read that discussion Certainly turn-based doesn't make much sense in the 'real world' and since the thread title says 'any platform' chess isn't a good example to prove a point either
Old 17 February 2010, 00:19   #97
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Another World, as I had recently a go through the 15th anniversary release, although it should be perhaps for a "games that defy physics" thread:

- Here is a DBS of two screens that follow each other (I was too lazy to overlap each one to remove the screen border but you get the idea) and I find the continuity for the elements circle in red a bit weird (Lovecraftian geometry?).
It remains the same for the PC release: screen 1, screen 2

- More interesting, near the end sequence, after fighting the 4 guards, if you keep run jumping (run then keep jumping) you go faster than running (valid anywhere else in the game) and actually outrun your alien buddy.
So you can get a rather funny result, having yourself falling while your buddy runs in the air.
Screen 1, Screen 2, Screen 3, Screen 4

On the PC version, you can still do this, but it seems the speed gain from run jumping has been lowered and this was the best I could get (not tried much though).

- This part was not in the Amiga version so some people who have not played the other ports might not be familiar with it (it takes place after the corridor run at the end of which you enter the vehicle into the arena in the Amiga version).
Normally, you have to wait for your buddy to automatically throw you on the awning, so that you jump on the other side.
But if you don't wait, then you can jump by yourself. But by doing so, you go through the awning....

Edit: Of course, let's not forget those floating rocks you can see here and there.

Last edited by lilalurl; 17 February 2010 at 01:29.
Old 03 March 2010, 19:25   #98
s2325
Zone Friend

Leavin' Teramis (Amiga, Atari ST) - you can easily and often stuck in one place because of one way screen scrolling, bad idea in good game
Old 03 March 2010, 21:34   #99
lost_lemming

nebulus

I know it's an alien world. but shooting a fish becomes a bubble? what sort of ocean is that!?
infact, the entire game of nebulus.. it's got gravity though.
Old 26 March 2010, 21:17   #100
Andymiga
Got the C= spark again :)

All RPGs with monsters that drop swords, armour, gold, books... whatever.

Just think about it ... imagine killing a rat in your basement and finding 17 gold pieces and a first aid kit in its armpit