English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 July 2020, 20:50   #441
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Any news about this? And please, I don't ask new pro quality video, just few words how it is going.
It's going great!
KK has already implemented the brand new sprite based weapons, updated his tool with additional functionality and there are a lot of other features and new stuff in the pipeline. A new video is in the works regarding the creation and implementation of the new sprites as well as other juicy details.
Old 28 July 2020, 21:15   #442
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
It's going great!
KK has already implemented the brand new sprite based weapons, updated his tool with additional functionality and there are a lot of other features and new stuff in the pipeline. A new video is in the works regarding the creation and implementation of the new sprites as well as other juicy details.
Also Tsak missed an important detail, how much graphics he has reworked or retouched by hand for this project himself by now. Thanks!
Old 28 July 2020, 22:45   #443
ESC
Bad Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
It's going great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK/Altair View Post
Also Tsak missed an important detail, how much graphics he has reworked or retouched by hand for this project himself by now. Thanks!

This is great news, really looking forward to the next video.

Will the game be mod-friendly, I mean can we create our own maps using Doom Builder and import them into the game in some way? If you already mentioned this already I'm sorry.
Old 28 July 2020, 23:56   #444
waldiamiga
morphos.pl

Quote:
Man, I thought you'd put up some demo of the game at Decrunch 2020...
Old 29 July 2020, 02:52   #445
LongLifeA1200

It's really remarkable and a joy to watch the progress of this project.
Old 29 July 2020, 10:35   #446
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldiamiga View Post
Man, I thought you'd put up some demo of the game at Decrunch 2020...
It was available to play at Decrunch 2019 most of the party.
Although organizers borrowed me a A600/Furia which ran it a bit faster than normally expected - at stable 30 FPS.

And the thing I would love the most to put up at Decrunch 2020 is myself in the first place... sadly, due to Covid I won't be there.
Old 30 July 2020, 15:44   #447
torturedutopian

@Tsak : sorry for asking a really obvious question (I'm sure you mentioned that numerous times in the past) but do you think it's impossible to implement levels ? (staircases...)

I guess it would massively add complexity.

Last edited by torturedutopian; 30 July 2020 at 21:25.
Old 30 July 2020, 20:11   #448
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Possibly a question for KK rather than me.

Afaik different height levels are already planned to be implemented. But this might come quite further down the line (meaning after a possible demo release) cause part of the render engine will have to be re-written.
Old 31 July 2020, 13:44   #449
d4rk3lf

So awesome to hear Tsak is helping with the project.
This will be true A500 masterpiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
Will the game be mod-friendly
It was mentioned before.
I think that's one of the main goal for KK.
I personally hope it will be in such way, that I can, for example, create medieval settings, and campaign around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedutopian View Post
but do you think it's impossible to implement levels ? (staircases...)
Check out previous posts.
If I remember correctly, KK mentioned that staircase itself are not that much of an issue, but enemies that you look down (or up) the staircases, are much bigger issue.
Now, I might get all that wrong.
Old 03 August 2020, 00:31   #450
KK/Altair

Quote:
I personally hope it will be in such way, that I can, for example, create medieval settings, and campaign around it.
I'd be more than willing to take part in this myself (I found Heretic setting really great).

Quote:
If I remember correctly, KK mentioned that staircase itself are not that much of an issue, but enemies that you look down (or up) the staircases, are much bigger issue.
Now, I might get all that wrong.
I have some ideas how to clip sprites already.
Old 03 August 2020, 12:37   #451
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I'd be more than willing to take part in this myself (I found Heretic setting really great).
Hexen did it better stylistically, for me the perfect Doom-inspired game would be the gameplay of Heretic (more like Doom, no hubs) and the aesthetics of Hexen with it's actual castles looking like castles and cathedrals looking like cathedrals. But fewer button hunts, please...
Old 06 August 2020, 11:54   #452
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Hexen did it better stylistically, for me the perfect Doom-inspired game would be the gameplay of Heretic (more like Doom, no hubs) and the aesthetics of Hexen with it's actual castles looking like castles and cathedrals looking like cathedrals. But fewer button hunts, please...
I'm totally into Heretic, as well as fantasy or Lovecraft settings and the like. If only I had proper graphics, Dread probably would be like that already. So once the engine kicks off seriously, I'd be totally into making an alternative fantasy game if I manage to find enough help with the assets.

Also functional designs are nice, although I could settle just for stylish and gameplay-compatible. But I totally agree that FPSes usually twisted all the castles and cathedrals beyond recognition, with only a few notable exceptions.
Old 06 August 2020, 12:20   #453
lesta_smsc

Hexen and Heretic. 2 games that were quite similar. I was in awe of the graphics for the time it released. A step up from Doom I would say.
Old 06 August 2020, 13:25   #454
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
A step up from Doom I would say.
Maybe... but not a large step.
It's the same engine, and for me, personally, I liked Ultima Underworld (that was released even before Doom), much better then all 3 games, listed above.
I mean, visually.
With exception of Doom 2, I haven't played too much any of these.

Polish Citadela had really great graphics, imho.
Old 06 August 2020, 13:45   #455
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
It's the same engine, and for me, personally, I liked Ultima Underworld (that was released even before Doom), much better then all 3 games, listed above.
I mean, visually.

You keep saying that, but that can only mean you haven't actually seen Ultima Underworld recently. It's a tiny screen, warped low resolution 3D graphics and very dark with a limited viewing distance. And it's slow; very, very slow.

All forgivable for the fact that Ultima Underworld is a pretty hardcore RPG, not an FPS / action adventure game... you're comparing apples & oranges.
Old 06 August 2020, 13:59   #456
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
I'm totally into Heretic, as well as fantasy or Lovecraft settings and the like.
Now you have my attention!
A Lovecraft-inspired FPS with a B&W 1920's setting... instant classic!
Old 06 August 2020, 14:35   #457
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
You keep saying that, but that can only mean you haven't actually seen Ultima Underworld recently.
Sorry about repeating myself.
Well, just recently I installed (I think gog version), and still looks nice and stylish to me (I would just like to screen be larger, but what you can do). I am just having problem with the mouse, as it behave very strange, and still couldn't sort that.
About apple and oranges - I know they are different types of games, and that's why I said "I mean, visually", above.
Old 06 August 2020, 15:25   #458
KK/Altair

Quote:
Hexen and Heretic. 2 games that were quite similar. I was in awe of the graphics for the time it released. A step up from Doom I would say.
Hexen was close to unplayable for me. Weapon choice is severely limited, and most of the time is spent either looking for a hidden button, or the thing that button opened. And all that across a multi-map hub. Not really fun.

Heretic on the other hand is almost just a graphics redesign of Doom, almost exactly the same gameplay. Which is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

Quote:
Now you have my attention!
A Lovecraft-inspired FPS with a B&W 1920's setting... instant classic!
You mean Black & White stylistics?

Quote:
I am just having problem with the mouse, as it behave very strange, and still couldn't sort that.
It took quite some time for FPS community to work up to the golden standard of WASD+mouse. IIRC it did not happen well into Quake (2?) until it became widespread, while even Catacomb 3D would benefit from it.
Old 06 August 2020, 15:31   #459
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I mean, visually.

I love Citadel but it does not look as good as Doom. No way. The bigger your screen as well the worse it looks. Now I like how it looks but I mean it just doesn't compare looks wise.

The intro however is fantastic and looks great.

What I would love someone to do with Citadel is make it:

A) Move Quicker

B) Have a walking motion up and down type movement (the floating across the floor vibe really gets on my tits)

I have it on PC also but it still has floating across the floor going on and also some weird look to like all the graphics are cardboard cut outs placed on the screen. The original has this look also but it's way worse on the PC version which does move a lot faster.

I love the size of the game though, the worlds within it and the story and it's toughness. But a few things really irk me about it! I realise it was a amateur programmed game by young Polish guys and it is a good game apart from walking into walls and losing energy.
Old 06 August 2020, 15:45   #460
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
You mean Black & White stylistics?
Yep, why not?

A style matching the lovecraftian setting, a bit like what HPLHS did with the Chtulhu fan movie!