English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 01 March 2012, 06:28   #1
fishyfish
Banned

Wanting to start learning to code amiga in asm

A month or so ago I acquired a few hundred amiga magazines. Having now finished with them from the leisure reading side Id like to start going through the plethora of tutorials contained within them.

Having never done more 68k asm wise than reading docs I decided its time I had a proper attempt at learning it.
Now firstly, is there, and if so which is the recommend assembler? It appears Devpac or Argasm are the 2 best choices? Is this accurate? It also appears that Argasm is faster, but not as feature rich (also a little buggy?). As I said I have very little real experience with this and am just going by what Ive read.

Additionally, I installed Devpac3.18 on my a1200+'040, but it seems there's no includes that come with Devpac. Can anyone tell me where I could find them please? I had a browse on the amiga developer cd(2.1), but couldnt find them (although its not impossible Im just blind ).

Also, and other pointers or suggestions people have for someone trying to learn to code in asm for the amiga would be appreciated.
Incase it helps people respond, I do have experience in coding in amos/blitz/c/c++, so Im not completely illerate when it comes to coding

Thanks in advance
Old 01 March 2012, 08:15   #2
kamelito
Zone Friend

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=21516
Old 01 March 2012, 22:25   #3
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Personally I use Devpac 3.18, but that is because I was exposed to Devpac 2 a few years back and haven't tried anything else yet. I might do one day...

I think everything you could possibly need is in the thread that kamelito linked to

I hope you can code better than you can spell:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish;
so Im not completely illerate when it comes to coding

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 01 March 2012 at 23:00.
Old 02 March 2012, 01:59   #4
fishyfish
Banned

It could be a pun so Im going to pretend I meant it Funny thing is I noticed a typo with that word when I originally typed it. Mustve been distracted though cos I "corrected" it from "illierate" to "illerate"

As for my coding, check out AROS or OS3.x 68k Dosbox, PRBoom, Bochs, and about 100 other open source ports. I think I do ok
Old 03 March 2012, 00:59   #5
Photon

Just get the major ones and try them out, how you like working with them. For a beginner I still hold Asm-One as a superb one as it has a good interactive environment with everything built in.
Old 03 March 2012, 06:11   #6
Pyromania

@fishyfish

The asm code on the page below might be too advanced for you but take a crack at it, you never know.

http://www.discreetfx.com/openvideotoaster.html