English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 February 2015, 10:47   #1
bozimmerman

Ever recapped a 4000T? Ever put in an Indivision AGA Mk2?

The instructions for installing the Indivision AGA Mk2 CR say to replace "electrolytic capacitor CE164C with a lower-profile type", but what does that mean?

CE164C does not have markings I am familiar with from dealing with the old 8-bit boards. There's no "100uF 16V 20% tolerance" or anything I recognize, so I'm not sure what to replace it with.

And even if I knew what to replace it with, I'm not sure I know how. The legs don't appear to be soldered to the underside of the board. My best guess is that they are surface mounted, and that the tiny silver squares on either side of the capacitor are where they are soldered down. Is my guess correct?

I've you've recapped a 400OT or put one of these flicker fixers in, I would sure appreciate your comments.

Thanks!
- Bo Zimmerman
Old 16 February 2015, 11:22   #2
rikbliz

(deleted)

Last edited by rikbliz; 06 July 2018 at 09:16.
Old 16 February 2015, 12:30   #3
ajk

@bozimmerman

If you know how to solder through-hole stuff, you should be able to manage one SMD capacitor too. Here's a video clip I made a few years ago showing the process using a hot air gun:

[ Show youtube player ]

If you don't have or can't get a hot air tool, you can get remove the old resistor by adding plenty of solder to both legs and heating them quickly one after the other with a regular iron. The extra solder will stay molten for a bit longer so you will have time to work the capacitor free. Just take your time and don't try to move anything while the solder is solid.

Once the old cap is off, just clean the pads and solder in the new one.
Old 16 February 2015, 16:43   #4
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Having soldered many through-hole caps, I still don't want to touch SMD parts, especially in a crowded parts of boards.

Some years ago I had an Indivision AGA installed in my 4000T. The board was re-capped so I am not sure how high the original cap is, but at least in my board I was able to install the Indivision without replacing the cap.

The cap is situated just under the Indivision's display cable's connector. I managed to connect the cable in without it touching the capacitor under it (=the connector was not pushed all the way in, but only a millimeter or two out, so there was still a reliable connection). Be careful not to push the cap off of the board by connecting the cable. I had the motherboard removed from the case when I installed the Indivision so I could clearly see how much space there was.
Old 16 February 2015, 17:58   #5
bozimmerman

Rikbliz - Thanks for that link. I've no idea how I failed there. My google-fu is BAD.

AJK -- your video is exactly what I needed for my last question.

Thank you all so much for your responses.

- Bo