English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 October 2018, 22:00   #121
Romanujan

IMHO, if you want the 3.1.4 - yes, buy it now. What might happen is, well, unpredictable.
Old 29 October 2018, 22:06   #122
nogginthenog
Amigan

Sorry, I thought that was more relevant/funny. Newer article here:
https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/12/amino-series-c/

I don't get the interest in Amiga. OK we're "niche" but Doctor Who, anime or K-Pop are not niche!
Old 29 October 2018, 22:47   #123
nexus

pulled again
Product does not exist! At least one of the requested products does not exist.
Old 29 October 2018, 22:48   #124
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Yup, it is gone.
Old 29 October 2018, 22:51   #125
nexus

curious if they are gonna keep trying services to sell through
lol just take BTC
Old 29 October 2018, 23:14   #126
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
you guys have apparently put a lot of effort and investments in finding and improving alternatives for warpos support on amiga, shich ahile not exactly in a scope of my interest today i applaud to. in fact i might once try it out with aros, as i own mediator and warpos works under aros68k (tested so far with csppc).

lets say, if you have invested as much effort in improving aros amiga-m68k target, you might face similar class of results as in what you have done so far. the foundation is there, to the same degree as warpos+elbox hardware, its just your choice.

a bit unfair a comparison. aros extends the contents of all above providing not just a kickstart and (best case) few basic tools, but complete out of the box integrated working solutions, such as networking and usb stack. rtg stack. a working css browser. and a lot more. either of above kickstarts, including 3.1.4 deliver but a subset of aros functionality. yes, the latter may be more compatible in particular with ks3.1, but aros is overall compatible with ks1.x-ks3.x, all in one, inclusive all that obsolete stuff as BCPL, which toni might actually elaborate better.

Well I don't want to derail the topic, but if AROS worked with Mediator, then we'd probably already have the Sonnetlib (WarpOS) running on it, that was actually the thing that lead me to try running WarpOS on the CSPPC on AROS (that's a mouthful) originally. But since the RTG and PCI stuff is not really close or very compatible to 3.9 at a mediator driver level and that's well out of my range of expertise there's not much I can do here.

While I really can't say whether this stuff runs on 3.1.4 either, I assume it does.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 29 October 2018 at 23:44.
Old 29 October 2018, 23:25   #127
oscillik

I can't even log in to the site anymore...

Edit: Nevermind, they have .com and .biz domains and my password manager got mixed up.

Last edited by oscillik; 29 October 2018 at 23:38. Reason: Clarification
Old 30 October 2018, 01:31   #128
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Yup, it is gone.
This is just insane. Even Commodore didn't make a mess as bad as this.
Old 30 October 2018, 02:32   #129
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
pulled again
Product does not exist! At least one of the requested products does not exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Yup, it is gone.
And this is precisely the type of crap I feared would happen as a result of these lawsuits between 3 completely inept entities that do nothing for the forward progression of the Amiga platform and it's community. So once again we are deprived of future development because of this. This kind of crap makes me so mad.

As I said before all the hard work comes from the fans.

When I think of OS 3.1.4, I think of the hard work of Thomas Richter, Olaf Barthel and others, not Hyperion. All this hard work by these guys and they haven't received any money. Makes me very sad.

When I think of Amiga Forever, I think of WinUAE and the hard work of Toni Wilen, not Cloanto. All they do is provide a front-end and a legal way to obtain the Kickstarts. Woop-dee-doo. Real fricken hard.

When I think of the new A1200 cases, Philippe Lang
Checkmate 1500 Case, Stephen Jones
Terrible Fire accelerators, Stephen Leary
All the amazing work by Brian Robotham
Vampire, Igor Majstorovic, Gunnar von Boehn and the team.
....all the others I have missed or can't think of at this time (sorry). As far as I'm concerned, these guys are every bit legends as the original Amiga designers. I don't factor in Cloanto, Hyperion or Amiga Inc when I think of any of this.

Last edited by sean_sk; 30 October 2018 at 06:35.
Old 30 October 2018, 03:12   #130
Amiga4000

Isn’t this entire OS3.1.4 disaster over the fact that Ben Hermans claims that Hyperion (or is it Cloanto?) owes him more than a million euros? I think it’s comical that Amiga, Inc (what’s left of them after the transfer of copyrights to Cloanto) puts a C&D on Hyperion. Ben Hermans registering the brand “Amiga Forever” was kind of low.

It almost seems to me that the OS3.1.4 devs were “unwittingly duped”!

I mean, what is the alliance here (both devs and enthusiasts)? Why the big rush to push as much money to Hyperion as possible? What’s up with all this Hyperion LOVE?

Why was this OS3.1.4 conceived, completed and pushed out the door so fast? Fat chance of ever seeing those physical ROMs and a fancy new box now.

Especially when Hyperion (Timothy De Groote and Costel Mincea) has threatened A-EON, Jens Schönfeld, Itec & Cloanto with lawsuits (maybe not all).

It seems to me that the only good guy here is Mike Battilana over at Cloanto.

The whole Amiga thing seems to have become nothing more than a Lawyers dream come true! All over some pretty colors.

And seems like the ONE guy, Trevor Dickinson, that really helps the Amiga community the most gets shagged the hardest by Hyperion (not to mention all the Amiga enthusiasts and devs doing all the REAL work!). Think about that the next time you hand over your money to Hyperion.

I reserve the right to be inaccurate on any of the above...

Last edited by Amiga4000; 30 October 2018 at 04:42.
Old 30 October 2018, 05:02   #131
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
I feel really sorry for Cloanto who appear to have a lot of of the areas they are trying to do business in overstepped by Hyperion who have no rights in this space (classic, 1.3, 3.1).
Really? Cloanto are a bunch of assholes who have held back AmigaOS development ever since they secured the rights to it.
Old 30 October 2018, 06:29   #132
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga4000 View Post
It almost seems to me that the OS3.1.4 devs were “unwittingly duped”!

I mean, what is the alliance here (both devs and enthusiasts)? Why the big rush to push as much money to Hyperion as possible? What’s up with all this Hyperion LOVE?
The 3.1.4 devs wanted to make 3.1.4 legal and as much official as possible. They thought that the "Settlement Agreement" was the best legal basis and that it meant that 3.1.4 could only be released through Hyperion. Thus, they gave their work to Hyperion for free so that it would get published at all (unfortunately letting a torrent show up somewhere never was an option to the 3.1.4 devs and ironically may end up being the only way to keep 3.1.4 going). They would probably give their work to any party they could consider as legally owner of the rights to AmigaOS. All they really wanted is to have their work published. So this hasn't been taking sides even though it may appear this way. Of course, what is happening is what everybody else expected when they heard the name "Hyperion"...
Old 30 October 2018, 06:40   #133
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga4000 View Post
Why the big rush to push as much money to Hyperion as possible? What’s up with all this Hyperion LOVE?

I bought OS 3.1.4 from Hyperion in the hopes that the people that did the REAL work would eventually get money from further development. Boy, was I wrong there!
I don't give a stuff about Hyperion.
Old 30 October 2018, 07:07   #134
SvladJelly

So maybe my gut response to wait and stick with the original OS 3.1 or 3.9 was a good one? (Not that I can even aquire 3.1.4 anyway.) If this gets tied up in legal battles, it would seem this branch will not proceed forward. That's all we need is confusing fragmentation for 68k. Perhaps some hope in coffin with Vampire?

Shame!
:-/

PS: Santa, please give me a Vampire A1200 in my lifetime.
Old 30 October 2018, 07:31   #135
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_skroht View Post
As I said before all the hard work comes from the fans.

When I think of OS 3.1.4, I think of the hard work of Thomas Richter, Olaf Barthel and others, not Hyperion. All this hard work by these guys and they haven't received any money. Makes me very sad.

When I think of Amiga Forever, I think of WinUAE and the hard work of Toni Wilen, not Cloanto. All they do is provide a front-end and a legal way to obtain the Kickstarts. Woop-dee-doo. Real fricken hard.

When I think of the new A1200 cases, Philippe Lang
Checkmate 1500 Case, Stephen Jones
Terrible Fire accelerators, Stephen Leary
All the amazing work by Brian Robotham
Vampire, Igor Majstorovic, Gunnar von Boehn and the team.
....all the others I have missed or can't think of at this time (sorry). As far as I'm concerned, these guys are every bit legends as the original Amiga designers. I don't factor in Cloanto, Hyperion or Amiga Inc when I think of any of this.
This...

Fuck all these parasites who try to kill the Amiga.
Old 30 October 2018, 07:53   #136
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
It seems to me that the only good guy here is Mike Battilana over at Cloanto.
I don't understand how anyone could come to that conclusion.

They're just a patent troll, paying peanuts to acquire dubious rights to someone else's IP, then milking the users for all they can, suing everybody left and right and actively sabotaging efforts to further develop AmigaOS.

Quote:
there is even no competing product from this Amiga Inc. at the market. So they dont even loose anything by letting Hyperion sell 3.1.4. It is not like anyone would loose customers due to the release of 3.1.4.
Exactly; it looks like pure spitefulness on Cloanto's part. So now there is a pattern of Cloanto limiting or attempting to limit the availability of, or at least spreading public FUD about the legality of, one version of OS3.1, OS3.1.4, OS3.5, OS3.9 and OS4. I hope they are proud of themselves.

If Cloanto do win, I can't imagine that I would continue to bother writing free software for the platform, just to help line their pockets. Especially since the platform would be completely dead since there would be no further AmigaOS development.

Last edited by Minuous; 30 October 2018 at 08:19.
Old 30 October 2018, 07:59   #137
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

It seems obvious that the devs have done this for love not for money but I'd happily send them some cash if they waned to set up some kind of option to donate.

Sent from my Xperia Z5 using Tapatalk
Old 30 October 2018, 08:30   #138
dalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Really? Cloanto are a bunch of assholes who have held back AmigaOS development ever since they secured the rights to it.

The way I see it, Cloanto:
* have in the past helped WinUAE
* provide a platform for beginners that is easy to use and legal (we'll get to that in a minute)
* provide physical ROMs for 3.1 and 3.X
* have already patched 3.X to allow large drive support - pretty much the only thing worthwhile in 3.1.4
* release changelogs so you know what you are getting
* acquired 1.3, 2.1 patents and IP to legally allow emulation (at a cost I'm assuming that was more than "peanuts")
* probably would invest a lot more in development if they were not constantly hounded by IP trolls Hyperion https://sites.google.com/site/amigad...-All-Documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Exactly; it looks like pure spitefulness on Cloanto's part. So now there is a pattern of Cloanto limiting or attempting to limit the availability of, or at least spreading public FUD about the legality of, one version of OS3.1, OS3.1.4, OS3.5, OS3.9 and OS4. I hope they are proud of themselves.

I don't see how they have spread FUD. It's clear if you read the entire settlement agreement (not just stop at 1b) that the intention is:

* Hyperion only have rights to 3.1 sources for the purposes of AmigaOS 4 development, which they are then allowed to call AmigaOS 4.
* any new derived work from the 3.1 sources cannot be released by them as AmigaOS.
* classic & 3.1 stayed with Amiga Inc. with license to Cloanto
* Cloanto subsequently acquired 1.3 and 2.1

I really feel sorry for the devs who now find their work in a legal limbo.

The winner for me in spirit is Cloanto as they seem to have the same understanding of the situation as Amiga Inc.

If you read the way the parties are behaving, to me it seems Cloanto have been constantly reaching out to Hyperion to come to an agreement, but only met with aggressive sueballs in return. I'm glad I didn't give them any money.

Last edited by dalek; 30 October 2018 at 08:31. Reason: speling
Old 30 October 2018, 08:45   #139
spudje

Agree with dalek and Amiga 4000. Reading the settlement, whether or interpreted as it was intended, you knew 3.1.4 would be pulled again. Ben is the devil here. Glad I bought them. Now wait for that Russian site indeed to post the ones for the models I didn't buy

So guys, that will be another year or two we're hostage to lawsuits...
Old 30 October 2018, 10:43   #140
Mr.Flibble

Cloanto have already stated that they’d support a Linux like open source license option for Amiga OS, Hyperion opposed it as it would apparently undermine their license agreement.

Cloanto had already started on the legal work (No doubt securing rights for various bits of code Commodore originally licensed from other parties) to support it years ago.

Open source and community supported at the most basic, but possibly non-commercial in nature, with Cloanto and Hyperion providing paid for physical copies with support, with the split being Cloanto <v4 and Hyperion >v4

Although I suspect Hyperion is making a grab for <4.0 because 4.0 and above is dead in the water..