English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 November 2016, 06:47   #1
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Arrow Highway Encounter (ST port)

A Highway Encounter conversion would be nice, pretty please. There I said it.
At first, I thought about requesting from meynaf a Super Cycle (Epyx) conversion, but as far as I am concerned,
I would rather petition for the recently discovered Highway Encounter ST port, to be itself ported to Amiga.
Speaking about donations, obviously I cannot pay for all of it (since, in PM, he asked me for "a certain" amount,
which is understandable since it should require a few days of hard work). In other words, fellow amigans
who enjoyed previous meynaf's ports from Karateka to Super Sprint
are more than welcome to join me in that effort, feel free to PM me or meynaf (or both) accordingly.
Who knows, we might even get Super Cycle or Moon Patrol done too!
I am hereby assuming Highway Encounter can be ported without too much hassle,
crossing fingers. Here is the direct download link, as the game was being attached as a zipped .ST disk image in tomcat666's thread.
In any case, greetings go to C. Panayi for releasing in 2010 that gem of an isometric game to the ST community (I should say : to what's left of it haha).
Old 22 November 2016, 09:11   #2
meynaf
son of 68k

Making a game port is a lot of work for very few people playing it, so I only do the ones I wished to do for myself and the ones for which i get enough incentive.
Old 22 November 2016, 10:10   #3
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Many years ago on an Amiga game development board called Underground Arcade, there was an American guy doing a pretty sweet looking Moon Patrol remake for A500. Maybe Rebel or Cammy remember his name?

I'd put a handful of dollars toward the development of an Amiga version of Moon Patrol, but not an ST conversion, an arcade conversion. I'd also expect it to be better than the Arcade version, full overscan, nice copper gradients and whatnot. Although I guess using the original assets would be fine. An amiga version of Pooyan is something I'd be equally exited about.
Old 25 November 2016, 12:01   #4
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
for very few people playing it
Well, I don't have an actual miggy anymore, but I suppose more people would play them if the system requirements were lower. I suppose you did your best but still.
You didn't offer them as shareware, so IMHO it's not like you're going to benefit much from a wider use, at least in financial terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
the ones for which i get enough incentive
I don't think making a straight "please donate" thread would fit our purpose.
What I had in mind was to let people decide for themselves if such a port would float their boat to the point of giving (or giving again) a few bucks to make it happen. The final step would be to make Moon Patrol or/and Highway Encounter HD installable, I guess but let's not cut corners here. Maybe that would cut costs if someone gifted offered his or her services to disassemble the code , before handing it over to you, good sir (should you agree to the proceedings obviously).
Old 25 November 2016, 14:25   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Well, I don't have an actual miggy anymore, but I suppose more people would play them if the system requirements were lower. I suppose you did your best but still.
That would add very few people and involve a lot of additionnal work - and i don't even have a config to test/debug that.
Perhaps i'm just too lazy, but nevertheless.

Quote:
You didn't offer them as shareware, so IMHO it's not like you're going to benefit much from a wider use, at least in financial terms.
A wider use makes it more worth the effort. I see little point in spending weeks working on some game only few people will play a few times (especially when it doesn't include myself)...
I don't want to make them shareware or otherwise proprietary - they don't really belong to me. Only thing needed is a good motivation ; for now i just don't have it - and being broke doesn't help working for free.

Quote:
I don't think making a straight "please donate" thread would fit our purpose.
What I had in mind was to let people decide for themselves if such a port would float their boat to the point of giving (or giving again) a few bucks to make it happen.
That was exactly my point, in fact.

Quote:
The final step would be to make Moon Patrol or/and Highway Encounter HD installable, I guess but let's not cut corners here.
All my game ports are HD installable - they're made for that and always will.

Quote:
Maybe that would cut costs if someone gifted offered his or her services to disassemble the code , before handing it over to you, good sir (should you agree to the proceedings obviously).
Unless we have something real filthy at play, disassembling the code is actually the smallest and easiest part...