English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 March 2018, 17:53   #21
nobody

Truth is you need to have a lot of nerve to state that SID is overrated when the common opinion of 99% is that it was amazing at it's time, and far ahead of everything else back then.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 March 2018, 18:03   #22
UberFreak

Short answer: No.

He's the most influential SID composer, invented multiple techniques, his original SID play routine is the stuff of legend for its time.
In my opinion, the source of his music is irrelevant.

Every piece of music out there was influenced/inspired by something that came before, that's the way it works.
Old 25 March 2018, 18:14   #23
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Rob Hubbard isn't overrated, but SID certainly is. IMHO, nothing beats sound samples.
What does one have to do with the other?
The SID is a synthesizer chip, not a sample player (although it can do that).

Also, you forgot to add "in my opinion".
IMHO, nothing beats SID sound when it comes to "computer music".
Old 25 March 2018, 23:48   #24
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
seen the ZX Spectrum and C64 very briefly in real-life but seen countless screenshots in magazines
And this is enough for you to decrie the machine as overrated.
Old 26 March 2018, 00:01   #25
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
LOL! Popcorn please.
Old 26 March 2018, 00:18   #26
eXeler0

To all of those who wrote "it's hard not be influenced" or "there are only so many notes, songs are gonna sound alike.."
Did you actually listen to the examples I listed in original post? For example, jump one minute into the David Sylivian & Sakamoto, Forbidden Colours song.. and then listen to International Karate.. that's not accidently "getting inspired" thats a straight rip-off.. :-)

Anyway, there is a thing known as a "cover" in the musical world. It's fine for young bands to start off by playing other people's music (as long as you don't pretend its your own), but if you are that band that's *always* playing someone elses music, then you don't deserve too much cred for creativity... That doesn't mean you don't kick ass on the guitarr, or vocals or drums... etc..

The topic here is if Rob Hubbard is overrated as an artist as so many of the songs he is famous for are not the result of his creative genious.. merely his SID-bashing genoius wheich I gladly admit he had.

I'd also gladly see a list of Hubbard music where he didn't "borrow" any notes.. Suggestions? What is his fines creative work on the C64 or.. maybe Megadrive?
Old 26 March 2018, 00:36   #27
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
What is his fines creative work on the C64 or.. maybe Megadrive?
Lightforce, Commando (Hiscore tune) are great. Don't think he copied somebody there.
Old 26 March 2018, 01:06   #28
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@Foebane

Well, i have a partial antipathy for Soundblaster and FM sound too, at least when they are not used to the fullest, but i don't discharge a full category of soundchip based on personal taste; i try to keep my mind open - btw you might like Turbographix/PC-Engine music more, since it uses wavetables instead of synth waves and the sound is more like a POKEY on steroids
Old 26 March 2018, 01:23   #29
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I'm unsure how someone can dismiss an entire sound catalogue based solely on the sound chip used.

I grew up on the BBC model B computer, the sound on that was perfunctory, didn't hurt my ears, but it was clear that the super talented guys on the other 8bits were not composing for that.

Then briefly I went to the ST and then onto the Amiga.

Inspite of that, I still love C64 sounding music that appeared in cracktros.

Whilst the C64 was a great chip, it was the melodies composed on the thing that makes you listen to it. Sure, some guys got it to produce sounds you wouldn't have thought possible, but it was those melodies that got me hooked.

I don't agree that sampled sounds better as a default.

If you hear a piece of music as a chip tune first, you're going to be less forgiving over a sampled version because of what you're used to, and the same is the opposite way if the tune uses samples instead of chip noises.

Anyone who heard the ST version of Xenon first usually hates the Amiga version, but I also dislike the Amiga version because its suffers from Whittaker-itis but thats a different thread

Some of the ST music is just excellent stuff, and that inspite of it having one of the worst sound chips created.

Ultimately I don't care what sound chip drives it, if the music is good, its good regardless, and when the C64 was able to make so many different sounds, i'm just perplexed how ALL tunes on it can be written off like that.
Old 26 March 2018, 01:34   #30
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Lightforce, Commando (Hiscore tune) are great. Don't think he copied somebody there.
True, good examples. Always loved Lightforce.
I saw now that the wikipedia page on Rob H actually has a column for "inspired by" comments (sort of).
Old 26 March 2018, 02:01   #31
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
It is my opinion, Sir Galahad of Fairlight, do I have to say "in my opinion" in every single one of my posts? Seems redundant to me to do that.
But still the question remains. How can an ENTIRE sound catalogue on one machine be written off like that when not every piece of music sounds the same?

I could understand it if there was one specific sound that grated and was constantly used, but the one great thing about the C64 was the musicians willingness to outdo each other to come up with something different.

Odd, good music is good music regardless of the sound chip.
Old 26 March 2018, 02:16   #32
Rotareneg

Musical reconceptualization of a previously composed work is called making an arrangement. Making a good arrangement, especially when working in with a very different medium than the original composition was designed for, isn't a simple thing and is still worthy of note when done well even if they didn't compose the original work.
Old 26 March 2018, 10:31   #33
Foebane
Banned

I've deleted all my other posts on this thread to put it back on-topic, and to answer the OP's question, I'd say...

Rob Hubbard IS overrated, mostly, judging by just these two:

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

There are melodic sections in his music but it's also highly experimental, what with annoying noises and so forth, like he was experimenting with SID, but the Atari has a similar feel. The only tune of his I liked was Warhawk.

The reason I deleted my other posts here was because I was misdirecting my dislike of a sound chip when, really, it's the composers like Hubbard that do experimental stuff or "weird sounds for the sake of it" (Commando's tune is another one I don't like as a result) and I just prefer melodies and rhythms and so forth. I have heard a lot of Demoscene stuff on SID and it is usually of a more professional level, and sounds better and more versatile too, and I love them. Sorry for messing this thread up.
Old 26 March 2018, 13:19   #34
NorthWay

Dragon's Lair, Master of Magic, Knucklebusters, Delta in-game. All his long industrial and moody stuff is incredible IMO and hasn't been said to rip off anything. (Delta is Floyd inspired. Zoids is a cover.)
Old 26 March 2018, 13:47   #35
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
First of all, it's Your opinion? It should be, because technically SID beats everything in this time. With 4 kind of waves: square, triangle, sawtooth and noise (new SID also has mix option between them!), ADSR and analogue filters. Mind that POKEY and AY/YM has only square and noise wave.

About samples, SID also can play them. Even with 6 (!) channels (4 mixed sample/digi, 2 synth).
Seen this by Algotech ?
http://csdb.dk/release/?id=162796
[ Show youtube player ]

Unfortunately it seems WinVICE was used to capture video (jittery sound).
SDL/SDL2VICE doesn't have this problem.
Old 26 March 2018, 15:32   #36
Dunny

ZXSpectrum (AY-3-8912) playing SID:

[ Show youtube player ]

Not the best quality, but a pretty good job IMO.
Old 26 March 2018, 15:44   #37
lantus360

ban plz

Old 26 March 2018, 15:59   #38
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Many of the famous Rob Hubbard tunes are *heavily* influenced by other people's work (ripped off I assume, not officially licensed, but please prove me wrong here)
Very few 8-bit computer musicians created their music "from nothing". They were inspired from mainstream music, classical and even each other.

But then there is musical inspiration... and plain old copying of which Rob has been on the receiving end too:

E.G. Jochen Hippel's Enchanted Land and Rob Hubbard's LightForce
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

You have to remember their work was made especially hard as they were paid employees rather than true artistic musicians and regularly their bosses would come to them and say "Make it sound like xxx"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Monty On the Run were most likely inspired by Charles William's, Devil's Galopp
This music was used regularly in movies in the chase scenes involving the police. The game is "Monty on the Run". Stands to me that it was intended for this piece to be an ode to Devil's Galopp rather than a "rip off"
Old 26 March 2018, 16:04   #39
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
Dragon's Lair, Master of Magic, Knucklebusters, Delta in-game. All his long industrial and moody stuff is incredible IMO and hasn't been said to rip off anything. (Delta is Floyd inspired. Zoids is a cover.)
Regarding Delta ingame, make up your own mind ;-O
--->
Listen to this from 1.33 onwards (~2.00 ish)
[ Show youtube player ]

then go to Delta ingame from 3.59 onwards..
[ Show youtube player ]

Experimental? Maybe, but it was Philip Glass who experimented ;-)
Old 26 March 2018, 16:05   #40
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Bah, the brilliant Light Force sounds awful in the above Youtube clip. This one is much better. It's a real test how well the SID emulation was implemented in emulator yxz.

[ Show youtube player ]