English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System > Coders. Scripting

Old 12 January 2019, 21:35   #21
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
In datatypes.library.doc you can read this:
So the returned number 14 is a DOS error code, not a ARexx error code. But I don't know what 14 is. At least there is something with this line: type = ExamineDT( fname,,VAR ). Try if other files (8svx. ilbm, ...) trigger the same error. If datatypes.library is buggy and you really need to determine file types you can use rexxtricks.library. It has functions that should do the same using whatis.library or FileID.library.
According to this:

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaO...Error_Messages

it is:

Quote:
An attempt was made to open a function library included in the Library List, but the library could not be opened. Check that the correct name and version of the library were specified when the library was added to the resource list.
Old 12 January 2019, 21:58   #22
solarmon

Thanks. That actually helped after I thought about it!

As I said, I'm was trying this on a minimal setup - so I didn't have the DEVataTypes folder (and its contents).

I added it, but it wasn't still working.

But, after you run the AddDataTypes command, it actually started working!

This seems to be the case for every reboot - so I assume this is usually added to the startup-sequence?

UPDATE: Yes - I see it in the ClassicWB LITE startup-sequence.
Old 13 January 2019, 17:41   #23
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
ARexx error codes are not DOS error codes! The error code 14 is interpreted by ARexx, hence it throws an ARexx error code/transation. What is false.

However, why do you need that special datatype.library? For a basic ARexx environment it is not needed.
Old 13 January 2019, 17:54   #24
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
However, why do you need that special datatype.library? For a basic ARexx environment it is not needed.
Because I'm an idiot! I actually don't need it.

That was an error on my part. I was searching for a function to get the 'basename' of a filename and found examinedt() and saw that it had a 'basename' stem.

I remember wondering at the time why the datatypes library had this, but I was blinkered and kept going.

I eventually realised my mistake, but I put this down, as always, to a good learning excercise...

I eventually figured out that I could use a combination of the LEFT() and LASTPOS() functions to get what I want:

basename = LEFT(filename,LASTPOS(".",filename)-1)
Old 13 January 2019, 18:39   #25
daxb

I don't know if I have mentioned it already but a good source for how doing stuff with ARexx is ARexxGuide: http://aminet.net/search?query=arexxguide