English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 September 2003, 00:09   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Death Scenes and Game Over Screens

What are your most memorable death scenes? Which ones really stick in your mind to this day for their brilliance?

Mine would have to be

Lemmings - Never had losing a game been so much fun before! Endless amusement at all the different ways those little critters could die.

Prince of Persia - Falling from great heights to a crumpled mess on the floor, being impaled on razor sharp spikes and being chopped in half accompanied by one of gamings all time sickest sound effects. *SCHLLOK*

Speedball 2 - The little screen that pops up of the player with his helmet bashed in and blood running from his mouth, and then the medical droids enter and drag his mangled body off the pitch. Brutal!

Also, what are your most memorable game over screens?

Mine

Speedball 2 - The lone player stands defeated and sums up exactly what your feeling See Djays avatar.

Shadow of the Beast 2 - A beautifully drawn pic of your man in the throes of death with a brilliantly apt guitar piece.

What are yours?
Old 11 September 2003, 00:20   #2
IFW

Although shame about the gameplay the most varied death scenes you can find are in the ReadySoft games, like any Dragon's Lair or Space Ace.
And of course Another World.
Old 11 September 2003, 00:46   #3
hal
where am i ?

hmmm

hunter- a simple 3d grave with a tombstone (saw that one too often)
and elvira-mistress of the dark you get to see your head boiled in a pot if a certain old lady got to you
Old 11 September 2003, 00:48   #4
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Re: Death Scenes and Game Over Screens

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Speedball 2 - The little screen that pops up of the player with his helmet bashed in and blood running from his mouth, and then the medical droids enter and drag his mangled body off the pitch. Brutal!
Ice-Cream................... Ice-Cream...............
Old 11 September 2003, 01:07   #5
yadster

Barbarian and the web of death move (or whatever it was called). Great fun slicing your opponents head clean off then seeing it get kicked off screen by that green thing.
Old 11 September 2003, 02:20   #6
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Abandoned Places 2 was quite a memorable celebration of getting your butt kicked-lost count of the number of times my coverdisc demo from The One,loaded up that gothic pic & great guitar solo.

GhostsnGoblins & Ghouls'n'Ghosts had nice touches with the crumple into a skeleton after being stripped to your undies.

And who can forget Boot Hill in Cannon Fodder seeing the gravestones whilst sending off your next group of rookies into battle.
Old 11 September 2003, 03:50   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

When the silly little green elf in "Elf" gets smashed by the troll with the club.
Old 11 September 2003, 08:57   #8
manicx

I remember of two end Scenes:

-Flood. Pure class to me! Had a nervous laugh for about 15 minutes

-OnEscape: MAGIC! I though the end scene in Another World was cool till I saw this. This was fantastic, computer art in every respect. Got to finish that game again and see if I can actually put that on a video tape/AVI file.
Old 11 September 2003, 13:44   #9
Figi

Mortal Kombat II. Especially the Babality moves. ;-D

One of the best death scenes I remember is in Pinball Illusions, Extreme Sports table. While rock-climbing or skydiving, when you loose the ball, you get a nice "now that's a deep fall"-animation on the scoreboard, along with a loooong "Aaaaaaah"-scream and a splutty "splargh!"-sound when hitting the virtual ground. :-D

Ah, and speaking of Pinball games... who remembers the Slamtilt-Table "Night of the Demon", which has a mode where you must reload and shoot a werewolf using both flipper keys - when the wolf get's you, which he does eventually, he grabs your face and pulls it off the head, leaving nothing but bloody slime. Nice one. :-D
Old 11 September 2003, 18:25   #10
th4t1guy

Ork - Your body gets shot off into space. The music for this was very simple, yet very good as well.
Old 11 September 2003, 18:59   #11
Dizzy
Pirate

Golden Axe

The part in the arcadehall with the baddies from the gaming zapping in, and chase the boy...
Old 11 September 2003, 22:07   #12
Djay
95th User

The die screen on Shadow of the beast 2 is cool....
The little white dot on the endscreen of Xenon 2 is funny...
The endtheme to Dynablasters is nice...
The endtheme to Psychotic (Budbrain) is great... does that count???
Old 11 September 2003, 22:17   #13
Djay
95th User

Anyone remember the odd scene in Nightbreed : Interactive Movie, where you are sitting in a padded cell laughing like a nutter... man that bit gives me the creeps...?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.gif
Views:	815
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	5884  
Old 11 September 2003, 23:48   #14
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Moonstone ewww
Old 12 September 2003, 05:52   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

There's an MSX game that had a game over screen that always made me feel sick.

The game is Shark Hunter, in this game you are a eskimo, and you have to hunt sharks so they won't eat your fish. You die when you are eat by a shark.

Though the sprites are small and all, seeing the little eskmo being eat by a shark was already horrible (The animation lasts for like 6-7 seconds, it shows the eskimo waving his arms trying to escape, while the shark eats him, and some blood is spreaded around). But then it shows the eskimo's wife leaving the igloo and going to bury her husband, with a FUCKING SAD tune.

It's one of the most horrible scenes I ever saw in a video-game. It's not violent, it's MORBID.
Old 12 September 2003, 08:09   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
There's an MSX game that had a game over screen that always made me feel sick.

The game is Shark Hunter, in this game you are a eskimo, and you have to hunt sharks so they won't eat your fish. You die when you are eat by a shark.

Though the sprites are small and all, seeing the little eskmo being eat by a shark was already horrible (The animation lasts for like 6-7 seconds, it shows the eskimo waving his arms trying to escape, while the shark eats him, and some blood is spreaded around). But then it shows the eskimo's wife leaving the igloo and going to bury her husband, with a FUCKING SAD tune.

It's one of the most horrible scenes I ever saw in a video-game. It's not violent, it's MORBID.
I MUST play and lose at this game ASAP
Old 12 September 2003, 09:50   #17
Drake1009

Sounds like a great little game that shark thingie.

As for nightbreed, he doesn't look like he's laughing.

Flashback had a darn annoying death scene for me, the one when I run into one of those force field thingies and get disintegrated or something.
Old 12 September 2003, 11:00   #18
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Impossible Mission yet. This scream always gave me the creeps!
Old 12 September 2003, 15:58   #19
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Rainbow Island's "Good" Game Complete sequence where you collect all the diamonds,(as much as you can on the Amiga version anyway),was a neat sequence.

Are we going to keep Amiga specific Darstadly?
Old 12 September 2003, 20:02   #20
haynor666
retro maniac

For me most ipressive were always Psygnosis games - Ork, Shadow of the Beast serie.