English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 June 2002, 21:54   #1
ToTalXS

ok heres my question........

Is the AMIGAONE going to be a completely self contained computer?.....as in....Am I going to be able to order a AmigaOne computer and when it shows up its a complete system or is it only a accelerator board for a 1200 that I do not own......The only reason I ask is because everyone is making such a big deal over it"its going to revolutionize the world" and if I have to use a ten year old motherboard to get it to work then I dont see what thats goin to revolutionize........I dont want to seem like a negative nellie I just want the air cleared up....1200's are fairly hard to come by here in the states and especially in the rural areas like mine.........peace

Old 02 June 2002, 22:09   #2
Djay
95th User

yes, its a self contained computer using a G3 or G4 processor, than runs an Amiga OS....

you don't have to finish your post with your name btw
Old 03 June 2002, 05:05   #3
Amiga1992

From what I read in your post, I have to warn you of one thing:

The AmigaOne machines will NOT be compatible with MOST Amiga software, only OS-friendly, RTG friendly software (ie anything that doesnt use the Custom Chips) and PPC software. You won't be able to run a copy of Super Stardust or Kick Off 2 with it, unless you use an emulator, much in teh way yo do with your PC.

To gain legacy backwards compatibility, you have to own a special card and an A1200 motherboard.
Old 03 June 2002, 12:51   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

But, of course, ANY alternative to the PC is a good thing...the Amiga name is just icing on the cake.
Old 03 June 2002, 14:36   #5
Amiga1992

Re: ok heres my question........

Yep, but he wrote this:

Quote:
Originally posted by ToTalXS
1200's are fairly hard to come by here in the states and especially in the rural areas like mine.........peace
There I see a need for a classic Amiga machine of some sort

I decided to save the moollah and get a Mac long ago, so there;s my alternative
Old 05 June 2002, 01:29   #6
ToTalXS

Smile

ok to summarize then...the AmigaOne is a stand alone system if you want it to be...but it will not run my stack of A500 software that I have unless I mate it with a A1200 motherboard via some sort of card that will be available at the time of the release of the A1...correct?.......ok...my next question would be are the planning on selling thios A1 preconfigured with a legacy A1200 motherboard already installed?...they own the rights to do so correct?...ok maybe I was just hopin too much...cant blame me for tryin........peace

Old 05 June 2002, 01:35   #7
Djay
95th User

@Akira....

do you think Pegasos will be good?
Old 05 June 2002, 03:40   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by ToTalXS
ok to summarize then...the AmigaOne is a stand alone system if you want it to be...but it will not run my stack of A500 software that I have unless I mate it with a A1200 motherboard via some sort of card that will be available at the time of the release of the A1...correct?
Not entirely correct. As I said, you could emulate the Amiga using an emulator like UAE, could be PPCUAE, macUAE, or whatever that will run on that hardware (Perhaps A1UAE gets released). I am sure thsi is not what you want to do, but it will be an option to lots of people.

Quote:
.......ok...my next question would be are the planning on selling thios A1 preconfigured with a legacy A1200 motherboard already installed?...they own the rights to do so correct?...ok maybe I was just hopin too much...cant blame me for tryin........peace [/B]
No, they have no rights to do so, and since A1200 mobos are not produced anymore, not a chance. The card is provided as an upgrade plan for current A1200 users. They really dont care about giving legacy compatibility to new users. The card is a "satisfier" for legacy hardware owners. Not that it satisfies me.

If I was you, living in the US, I'd buy an A1200 off eBay (www.ebay.com ,in case you dont know it). Again, be careful with this choice, if you have a stack of A500 software, it's probable that a lot of it wont work on an A1200! Why not buy a cheap A500 (off ebay too)? It really isnt as hard to get an A1200 stateside as you say, I really have it difficult in thsi shithole of a country (nevertheless got a GREAT deal on an A1200. You just have to look a lot for it ). Also be sure to check this board's Marketplace, a lot of nice offers use to pop around there!

DJay: I did not read about it and I dont care about it anyway. If I want Amiga I go with the legacy hardware. If I want an alternative to the PC, I buy a Macintosh.
Old 05 June 2002, 03:58   #9
jmmijo

The problem isn't that you can't get an A1200 here in the states Akira, it's really the freakin' price these sellers are getting because well they can

And I guess if you want one bad enough, you're gonna pay for it
Old 05 June 2002, 04:36   #10
ToTalXS

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
The problem isn't that you can't get an A1200 here in the states Akira, it's really the freakin' price these sellers are getting because well they can

And I guess if you want one bad enough, you're gonna pay for it
if you know anyone in Aurora,CO I can get you one(A1200) for free with a 1942 monitor......he wont ship it and he wants to give it away...but he wont ship it....he told me if he wanted to ship it he would sell it to a dealer in washington,dc for $250 plus shipping...but he said he doesnt want to ship it just wants to give it away for free.....my problem is I dont know anyone in Aurora,CO.......

Old 05 June 2002, 06:14   #11
jmmijo

You mean he wouldn't accept payment for the shipping and some extra for packing it up and the time to get to a local UPS office?

Too bad, but hey, anyone from the Denver area should jump on this and get it!!!

I'm too far away, have to fly there and really don't have the time.
Old 05 June 2002, 06:30   #12
ToTalXS

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
You mean he wouldn't accept payment for the shipping and some extra for packing it up and the time to get to a local UPS office?

nope he wouldnt....I was sad....heres the link though...I'll post in market too...
http://classifieds.yahoo.com/display...ime+1&ck=amiga