English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 October 2009, 19:59   #1
W4r3DeV1L

Send a message via MSN to W4r3DeV1L
Catweasel issue

Hello,

I own a Catweasel PCI MK4 ( the red one I mean ) that I bought 3 years ago but never used because every time I tried to write down an .adf image on a 2SDD floppy I never had not even one disk working on my Amigas.

The icon always showed df0:???

So I bought the AmigaKit ADF Transfer kit to enjoy my all my Amiga adf collection and I found this hardware simply GREAT!

Now the problem is that I need to write over floppies some Macintosh and Atari ST images therefore I would need the Catweasel again but I always run into the same issues:

1) the Card ,once installed the drives pretends to be installed again! After every single restart I have a request of new hardware to be installed and this is very stressful.

2) No one "Imagetool" seems to make a working .adf or any other rom image disk!
I used all the drivers that I found on line that are: CWMK42100.zip,
CWMK42200.zip, CWMK4020407.zip and even the imagetool_hotfix.zip.

I have a lot of hardware of Individual Computer and I always would keep on buying Jens's stuffs bcoz theay are simply GREAT but the only hardware that gave me some issue is this naughty PCI card!

Is anybody else in the same situation or sorted it out?

Can I have one hand to make it work?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by W4r3DeV1L; 29 October 2009 at 20:48.
Old 30 October 2009, 01:02   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi ElCharro,

I also have a PCI Catweasel MkIV.

In order to best help you with writing Macintosh and Atari ST images to DSDD floppies (both of which I have never attempted with my Catweasel MkIV, because I also have an ISA Catweasel card), I will have to reinstall mine.

I have two questions concerning your setup:
(1) What operating system are you using it with?
(2) Have you given the Catweasel a dedicated floppy drive?
Old 30 October 2009, 09:24   #3
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

You don't need the CW to write back normal Atari ST disks. The normal PC floppy controller can do this just fine using a program like floimg:

http://ppera.07x.net/atari/floimgd.php

Works great for me anyway
Old 30 October 2009, 20:06   #4
W4r3DeV1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi ElCharro,

I also have a PCI Catweasel MkIV.

In order to best help you with writing Macintosh and Atari ST images to DSDD floppies (both of which I have never attempted with my Catweasel MkIV, because I also have an ISA Catweasel card), I will have to reinstall mine.

I have two questions concerning your setup:
(1) What operating system are you using it with?
(2) Have you given the Catweasel a dedicated floppy drive?
Hello my friend,

well...

1) I am using Windows XP Pro
2) I installed the Catweasel as suggested into its 4 pages manual that is : the black and with cable connects the white connector of the Catweisel and the On Board FD connector while white connector of the Catweisel connect this PCI board to the FDD.

Then as suggested by pmc in private conversation I realized that it's true that if I use Image Tool 2.3 I would achieve some working floppy from .adf files. This doesn't happen it I use the latest Image Tool 3.2.

The bad thing is that Image Tool 3.2 deal with Apple Macintosh image files too and this is not supported by the full working ImageTool 2.3
As pmc I am now using the latest drivers for Catweisel and I would like to try some Macintosh files.

Any Help would be very welcome.

ElCharro
Old 30 October 2009, 20:17   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCharro View Post
1) I am using Windows XP Pro
2) I installed the Catweasel as suggested into its 4 pages manual that is : the black and with cable connects the white connector of the Catweisel and the On Board FD connector while white connector of the Catweisel connect this PCI board to the FDD.
Okay, I'll be using Windows XP Pro too, but I shall be giving the Catweasel its own floppy drive.

Quote:
Then as suggested by pmc in private conversation I realized that it's true that if I use Image Tool 2.3 I would achieve some working floppy from .adf files. This doesn't happen it I use the latest Image Tool 3.2.

The bad thing is that Image Tool 3.2 deal with Apple Macintosh image files too and this is not supported by the full working ImageTool 2.3
As pmc I am now using the latest drivers for Catweisel and I would like to try some Macintosh files.
I shall be installing the latest drivers to start with and trying out the bundled ImageTool to see what it can do.

Then, if this is not working properly, I shall use the next older ImageTool and so on until I get it working.

Please bear in mind that if you update the Catweasel drivers, you are best advised to uninstall the existing drivers first.

I'll let you know how I get on...
Old 30 October 2009, 20:38   #6
W4r3DeV1L

Hi!

What do you mean saying that you'll be give its own floppy drives?
Do you use one FDD for the Catweisel and another one for the PC?
How can you do that if a PC Mobo has only one FDD connector?

Let me know...

Old 30 October 2009, 21:00   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi ElCharro,

I shall not be sharing my PC's floppy drive with the Catweasel card, because it is more reliable to give the card its own floppy drive(s). Furthermore, it might be even more reliable when writing Macintosh 800K disks if a 720K disk drive is used instead of a 1.44MB drive.

To do this, leave the white connector on the card empty and reconnect your PC's floppy drive to the motherboard connector. Then connect an independent floppy drive to the Catweasel's other connector (the one you presently have your PC's floppy drive connected to).

You will, of course, need to provide power to the additional floppy drive.

For further information, here is a link to a PDF manual for the Catweasel MkIV plus card:
http://siliconsonic.de/t/catweasel-usermanual.pdf
Old 30 October 2009, 22:24   #8
W4r3DeV1L

Quote:
Hi ElCharro,

I shall not be sharing my PC's floppy drive with the Catweasel card, because it is more reliable to give the card its own floppy drive(s). Furthermore, it might be even more reliable when writing Macintosh 800K disks if a 720K disk drive is used instead of a 1.44MB drive.

To do this, leave the white connector on the card empty and reconnect your PC's floppy drive to the motherboard connector. Then connect an independent floppy drive to the Catweasel's other connector (the one you presently have your PC's floppy drive connected to).

You will, of course, need to provide power to the additional floppy drive.

For further information, here is a link to a PDF manual for the Catweasel MkIV plus card:
http://siliconsonic.de/t/catweasel-usermanual.pdf
Well! Now I am not sharing anymore my PC FDD with the Catweasel card and just connected the Catweasel withe connector to the FDD having only one FDD at the moment.

But I am astonished when I see that if I use ImageTool 3.2 with the newest drivers I have not even one amiga disk working while if I use the old Image Tool 2.3 everything works flawlessy! I just created the disks of Ghost'n'Goblins AGA fixed and Soccer Kid AGA for my A1200.

What is really concerning me right now is that the more reliable Image Tool 2.3 do not allow me to write Macintosh images.

Any make up for this issue?

Thanks

Last edited by W4r3DeV1L; 30 October 2009 at 22:31.
Old 30 October 2009, 22:39   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks for sharing that information.

I'm going to install my Catweasel MkIV card in this machine tomorrow, and try it with all the drivers and ImageTools I have to see what (if any) combination will produce Macintosh 400K/800K disks from images.
Old 31 October 2009, 13:51   #10
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
as ever the helpful prowler, just looks like you`l have to wait until he dose some more testing ElCharro, I`m sure he will find a solution for you
Old 31 October 2009, 20:32   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Well, I can't believe it, but after all this time the Catweasel MkIV has still not been programmed to write Macintosh 400K/800K disks!

Extract from CHANGELOG.txt dated 05-NOV-2008:

Quote:
28/10/2008
codec:
- BUGFIX: reading MAC 400k and MAC 800k formats works properly now

1/06/2007
codecs:
- NEW: added "Apple Mac 400k" (readonly at the moment)
- NEW: added "Apple Mac 800k" (readonly at the moment)
Therefore, as yet there is no combination of driver and ImageTool which will enable Macintosh 400K/800K disks to be written.

Old 31 October 2009, 20:37   #12
Jope
-

The variable speed makes things tricky, but probably not impossible.
Old 31 October 2009, 20:51   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

@ElCharro,

The best way for you to write 400K/800K Macintosh disks for use with your 800K Mac Plus is to write Apple Disk Copy 4.2 images to a Mac-formatted HD floppy disk and copy then to your Mac Classic for writing to DSDD disks.

Do you have Apple Disk Copy version 4.2?

I shall prepare some Macintosh 1.4MB disk images containing Apple Disk Copy 4.2 images of 400K/800K Macintosh System and utility disks which you can write to HD floppies with RAWRITE2.EXE on your PC.

If you don't have Apple Disk Copy 4.2, I can include it on one of the disk images for you.

With that lot installed, you'll be fully set up to contribute to the A-Max Disks thread.
Old 31 October 2009, 21:14   #14
W4r3DeV1L

Quote:
@ElCharro,

The best way for you to write 400K/800K Macintosh disks for use with your 800K Mac Plus is to write Apple Disk Copy 4.2 images to a Mac-formatted HD floppy disk and copy then to your Mac Classic for writing to DSDD disks.

Do you have Apple Disk Copy version 4.2?

I shall prepare some Macintosh 1.4MB disk images containing Apple Disk Copy 4.2 images of 400K/800K Macintosh System and utility disks which you can write to HD floppies with RAWRITE2.EXE on your PC.

If you don't have Apple Disk Copy 4.2, I can include it on one of the disk images for you.

With that lot installed, you'll be fully set up to contribute to the A-Max Disks thread.

Simply great... So I would be very pleased if you can prepare for me Apple Disk Copy 4.2 and other images .... Girl Playmate would be good too hehehehhe.

So everything you could prepare for me would be very very appreciated!

Old 31 October 2009, 21:23   #15
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi ElCharro,

Does your Macintosh Classic have a hard drive? And, if it does, what version of the Macintosh System is installed on it?

I'll start uploading some Macintosh 1.4MB disk images for you tomorrow. For now, this will be the only way you can get 400K/800K disk images from the net written to disks for your Mac Plus.

Does your Macintosh Plus have a hard drive as well?
Old 31 October 2009, 21:42   #16
W4r3DeV1L

Quote:
Hi ElCharro,

Does your Macintosh Classic have a hard drive? And, if it does, what version of the Macintosh System is installed on it?

I'll start uploading some Macintosh 1.4MB disk images for you tomorrow. For now, this will be the only way you can get 400K/800K disk images from the net written to disks for your Mac Plus.

Does your Macintosh Plus have a hard drive as well?
Weilah!!!

As by magic , spell , apparitions .... here we have:

http://i33.tinypic.com/1606hdj.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/e8x44w.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/20zcoe8.jpg

Then I can say that my Macintosh Plus is equipped with 40 MB and runs System 7.1 Italian Version and I have all the original HD disks.
Everythinh you need just ask. I own the manuals too and the merchandise!!!!!

Old 31 October 2009, 21:54   #17
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey, those System disks are high density. So is your Macintosh Classic the one with the 800K floppy disk drive? And does that have a hard drive too?
Old 31 October 2009, 22:12   #18
W4r3DeV1L

Quote:
Hey, those System disks are high density. So is your Macintosh Classic the one with the 800K floppy disk drive? And does that have a hard drive too?
yes my Classic has 40 MB HD and HD FFD I guess!

Last edited by W4r3DeV1L; 31 October 2009 at 22:23.
Old 31 October 2009, 22:28   #19
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I can say that my Macintosh Plus is equipped with 40 MB and runs System 7.1 Italian Version and I have all the original HD disks.
Quote:
yes my Classic has 40 MB HD and HD FFD I guess!
Im confused.

So which one has only the 800K disk drive which is the cause of the problem?
Old 31 October 2009, 22:34   #20
W4r3DeV1L

Quote:
Im confused.

So which one has only the 800K disk drive which is the cause of the problem?
The other Mac that is the Macintosh Plus.

The Macintosh Classic with the HD can read all the files we can RAWRITE.
The Macintosh Plus that do not have HD and HD FDD can read only floppy prepared with the Classic.
I realized that if I format a floppy with the Classic and drag & drop files I can create in this way floppies readable by the Macintosh Plus.

is it ok?