English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 24 February 2011, 20:32   #1
h0ffman

Have another idea for a little production thingy... so heres another round of questions.....

1. Is there some source code somewhere for decoding IFF images? I'll be honest I haven't searched yet, sorry.

2. With images, whats the best compression method without loosing any quality? I'm talking 320X256 32 colours here (5 planes)

3. Has anyone ever done a copper based image image converter, i.e. change palette every line? Not HAM! Also is there a converter which would generate the multi palette image?

I suppose I had better mention this is all OCS/ECS based

Last edited by TCD; 24 February 2011 at 21:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 24 February 2011, 21:05   #2
pandy71

http://aminet.net/gfx/conv/wasp_2_1.lha
http://aminet.net/gfx/conv/Wasp202b.lha
http://aminet.net/gfx/conv/PicCon250.lha
Old 24 February 2011, 23:07   #3
h0ffman

Cheers, PicCon seems to be the way forward.. i think, although I am having massive issues getting it to open a jpeg
Old 25 February 2011, 00:01   #4
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
Cheers, PicCon seems to be the way forward.. i think, although I am having massive issues getting it to open a jpeg
Maybe one of the others in the list can do jpeg's?

Personally, I'd save the jpeg as a bitmap and then go from there. I did write a simple bitmap to IFF convertor in AMOS Basic, however it was never finished and would only do up to 16 color images.

I used IFF Master to convert an .IFF file into raw data. A bit wasteful on space (100KB!), but I only have 1 image in my demo

Quote:
3. Has anyone ever done a copper based image image converter, i.e. change palette every line? Not HAM! Also is there a converter which would generate the multi palette image?
Changing the entire (32 colour) palette every line? I don't think you can as the copperlist would be well over the maximum size limit.

I don't know of any convertor that changes every colour each line, but there is software out there to help you design copperlists - I use Copper Colourz Release 2 by Fanatix.

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 25 February 2011 at 00:07.
Old 25 February 2011, 00:45   #5
h0ffman

Size limit! Must have missed that in the AHRM!
Old 25 February 2011, 08:34   #6
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10
I don't think you can as the copperlist would be well over the maximum size limit.
Is there a maximum copper list size...? Would be intersting to know. Some demos use some pretty big copperlists and I've never heard of there being a size limit is all...

@ h0ffman - For image conversion, if you want an Amiga solution you could do worse than Cloanto's Personal Paint which will load .jpg, .png, .bmp etc. etc. and will save them out as .iff no problem.

For a PC based solution of the same you could try Pro Motion - it's what I used to convert the logo for the second edition of that hidden part I just coded for you.
Old 25 February 2011, 08:50   #7
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Changing the entire (32 colour) palette every line? I don't think you can as the copperlist would be well over the maximum size limit.
Changing the whole palette for an image on every line is more than possible (I've done it). The bigger problem would be to compute a suitable palette to sync horizontally, as you can't change the whole palette in the "borders", so some of it is going to get changed during the drawing of the actual image. Although, I doubt that every single color would need to be changed for every single line.
Old 25 February 2011, 09:02   #8
pmc
gone

Thanks for confirming britelite.

I had a feeling it would be possible.
Old 25 February 2011, 09:20   #9
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
As long as you have a jpg datatype installed, PicCon will load jpg's when you use "Open Picture".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Is there a maximum copper list size...? Would be intersting to know. Some demos use some pretty big copperlists and I've never heard of there being a size limit is all...
There is of course no size limit for copperlists.
Old 25 February 2011, 11:23   #10
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
As long as you have a jpg datatype installed, PicCon will load jpg's when you use "Open Picture".
This is where my problems start. I've tried installing multiple JPEG datatypes and none of them seem to want to work

Any suggestions?
Old 25 February 2011, 11:35   #11
pmc
gone

Just use PPaint:

http://aminet.net/biz/cloan/PPaint.lha
Old 25 February 2011, 12:29   #12
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
There is of course no size limit for copperlists.
Sure there is: the amount of chipram you have installed
Old 25 February 2011, 12:43   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Sure there is: the amount of chipram you have installed
Yeah but since that is obvious I didn't mention it. I knew that someone would mention it though.
Old 25 February 2011, 15:07   #14
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I would love to see a copper controlled pallet changing picture or even a picture viewer

good luck
Old 25 February 2011, 17:55   #15
h0ffman

I've calculated that I can do an image width of 230 pixels when changing the palette every line.

So my plane is to cut an RGB image to this width then write a routine to generate the palette and 5 plane image for each line. Not quite sure what I'm going to do if there are more than 32 colours on a line yet....
Old 25 February 2011, 18:03   #16
pandy71

Time is the limit - how many cycles in line for copper in ideal case? 56? multiplied by number of lines 625? 70000 words maximum per frame?

Quote:
I've calculated that I can do an image width of 230 pixels when changing the palette every line.

So my plane is to cut an RGB image to this width then write a routine to generate the palette and 5 plane image for each line. Not quite sure what I'm going to do if there are more than 32 colours on a line yet....
IMHO It will not work in that way... resize Your picture to 40 pixels in line - this is Copper color resolution in line
Old 25 February 2011, 23:43   #17
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Time is the limit
Correct.

The copperlist will only run once per frame, and will automatically restart when a VBL occurs. If the copperlist is too long not all of it will be completed and often causes a corrupt display - I know because I played with copperlists a few years back, long before attempting ASM.

Of course, if you want to be clever you could create multiple copperlists and jump between each one every few frames. Not sure what effects you could do that way, but it is a possibel solution.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 26 February 2011, 03:24   #18
h0ffman

Well, IMHO both of you are wrong, brite lite confirmed it above that you can change the palette every line. And I've done a shut load of palette changes on my music disk alone.

In principal it can be done, the real issue is the image conversion.

I've already written a rotten to convert a 24 bit raw rgb image down to 12 bit, then count the colours on a line and sort them into a list of most used colours on that line.

The problem is knowing what to do with the colours above colour 32.
Old 26 February 2011, 04:03   #19
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

The quick hack would be to simply calculate the difference between the 32 colour entries and your colour and pick the closest match.

Is there any reason you are not using HAM mode? In this case it sounds like exactly what you do need!
Old 26 February 2011, 10:08   #20
h0ffman

Cuz ham sucks balls and copper hacks rule.

thanks for the tip dude, will give it a shot

Also, there is nothing like someone saying you can't do something to drive to get it done

Last edited by TCD; 26 February 2011 at 10:11. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.