English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 25 June 2014, 13:09   #1
invent
pixels

invent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Age: 46
Posts: 163
Remakes from old games for Amiga

Hi Everyone,

What games never made it onto the Amiga platform that you would like to see today?

Games from 8-16bit computers/consoles (eg commodore 64, ZX Spectrum) that you would like to see on the Amiga.

Two games I enjoyed on the Amstrad CPC was Mutant Monty and The Covenant. Both games were never released on the Amiga and as I enjoy redrawing old sprites to new ones thought it might be worth seeing what the interest level is for Remakes for the Amiga (Classic - A500 (OCS), A1200 (AGA) and newer NG machines).

Link below shows the old original graphics from Amstrad and a few new ones.
http://amigaonex.blogspot.com.au/201...ga-remake.html
invent is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 June 2014, 14:21   #2
Bastich
Registered User

Bastich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 254
Some very nice sprites there
I am currently doing a Lunar Jetman game on the PC.
Hopefully I will mix in some elements of Jetpac.
Platforms and construction of the rover, trailer and possibly some rockets.
If you ever consider PC remakes please let me know
Bastich is offline  
Old 25 June 2014, 16:15   #3
Amicol
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hartlepool / England
Posts: 338
Here are my 10, a mix of Spectrum, C64 & MSX games:
Knight Lore
Monty On The Run
Delta
Mayhem In Monster Land
H.E.R.O
Skool Daze & Back To Skool
Metal Gear I & II
Vampire Killer

Last edited by Amicol; 25 June 2014 at 17:06.
Amicol is offline  
Old 25 June 2014, 17:27   #4
Bastich
Registered User

Bastich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 254
Sorry not Amiga remakes but Knight Lore and Skool Daze have been done for the PC over on Retrospec

http://retrospec.sgn.net/
Bastich is offline  
Old 25 June 2014, 17:46   #5
Amicol
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hartlepool / England
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich View Post
Sorry not Amiga remakes but Knight Lore and Skool Daze have been done for the PC over on Retrospec

http://retrospec.sgn.net/
Screen shots of Knight Lore look excellent!
Really want a decent Amiga remake though..


There is already one on MSX2, I've completed it

Update: that PC remake is excellent, thanks for the link

Last edited by Amicol; 25 June 2014 at 19:50.
Amicol is offline  
Old 25 June 2014, 20:29   #6
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!
Jack Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wingkong warehouses
Posts: 156
It's a tough choice since there are so many funny games on these old 8bits and 16bits platforms. The MSX being my main gaming machine I would go for games like Knightmare, Road Fighter, or Yie Ar Kung Fu. I like their simple concept. They are games you can play again and again without being bored (well at least for my taste ).

Around 2000/2001 with a friend we worked on a game project influenced by Yie ar Kung Fu and Street Fighter 2. But unfortunately the project never went very far (the game engine was running quite well thought). Then we lost contact. But unexpectedly 3 weeks ago he called me on the phone, after more than 10 years without any news. We discussed about our old game projects and he seemed interested to continue to work on them. So maybe in the future we will see a Yie Ar Kung Fu like for the Amiga, who knows !
Jack Burton is offline  
Old 25 June 2014, 20:51   #7
kamelito
Zone Friend
kamelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: France
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Hi Everyone,

What games never made it onto the Amiga platform that you would like to see today?

Games from 8-16bit computers/consoles (eg commodore 64, ZX Spectrum) that you would like to see on the Amiga.

Two games I enjoyed on the Amstrad CPC was Mutant Monty and The Covenant. Both games were never released on the Amiga and as I enjoy redrawing old sprites to new ones thought it might be worth seeing what the interest level is for Remakes for the Amiga (Classic - A500 (OCS), A1200 (AGA) and newer NG machines).

Link below shows the old original graphics from Amstrad and a few new ones.
http://amigaonex.blogspot.com.au/201...ga-remake.html
For Mutant Monty just ask Steve Ancell at this homepage his blitzmax source code then it'll be easier to port it to Amiga. http://socoder.net/?blog=steve_ancell Kamelito
kamelito is offline  
Old 27 June 2014, 13:02   #8
invent
pixels

invent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Age: 46
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
For Mutant Monty just ask Steve Ancell at this homepage his blitzmax source code then it'll be easier to port it to Amiga. http://socoder.net/?blog=steve_ancell Kamelito
Kamelito, yes I'm hoping he might offer the code to an Amiga Blitz coder.
He is keen on a Android version so I'll do my best to help him out in any way.



Thanks for your replies and game suggestions, will be having a look at them over the next few weeks or so.

Bastich, sure I will see what I can do, please send me more info, do you have sample graphics you want updating and I could have a go at updating them, any type of remakes is always fun

Jack, nice to be reminded of Yie ar Kung Fu, played that on the Amstrad but must check out other platforms. Needed to go see a video of that one [ Show youtube player ] I'd be keen on remaking that one too.

While my focus will be on Warblade MKII, any spare moment I plan to work on some remakes. Never enough time in the world of course.

P.S. Fruity Frank I enjoyed too
invent is offline  
Old 27 June 2014, 14:22   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,524
I was always pissed off we didn't ever get any of the Ultimate games on Amiga.

Alien 8 and Knight Lore would have been great.

I remember someone on here did a remake of one of the Ultimate games, but wrote it for PC and didn't ever do an AGA version which would have been great.
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 27 June 2014, 14:58   #10
Punisher
Spanish Amigan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Asunciˇn/Paraguay
Posts: 46
Send a message via MSN to Punisher
What really takes my breath away are these graphics on AGA of Imagine's Movie

http://amigaonex.blogspot.com.au/201...me-remake.html
Punisher is offline  
Old 27 June 2014, 20:53   #11
kamelito
Zone Friend
kamelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: France
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I was always pissed off we didn't ever get any of the Ultimate games on Amiga.

Alien 8 and Knight Lore would have been great.

I remember someone on here did a remake of one of the Ultimate games, but wrote it for PC and didn't ever do an AGA version which would have been great.
+1 I was blown away back then when I saw Knight Lore, I had to search what was the computer playing it (the shop was full of 8 bits) and it was the ZX Spectrum, I bought one later on just to play Ultimate games. The MSX 2 remake is nice ! Kamelito [ Show youtube player ]
kamelito is offline  
Old 27 June 2014, 21:04   #12
Coltch
Registered User
Coltch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 108
All of the Ultimate games were fantastic and I've downloaded every remake...it's a shame modern games don't have the same kind of wow factor that was witnessed in the 8 bit era
Coltch is offline  
Old 27 June 2014, 21:29   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Galahad/FLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 44
Posts: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
+1 I was blown away back then when I saw Knight Lore, I had to search what was the computer playing it (the shop was full of 8 bits) and it was the ZX Spectrum, I bought one later on just to play Ultimate games. The MSX 2 remake is nice ! Kamelito [ Show youtube player ]
Shame there was never any 68000 version, would have been a great start for a conversion
Galahad/FLT is offline  
Old 28 June 2014, 01:18   #14
kamelito
Zone Friend
kamelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: France
Posts: 818
Motorola did a Z80 to 68000 converter sure it's not a panacea but might be interesting as many ZX Spectrum game like KL have been disassembled.

http://files.programmersheaven.com/A...z80conv/Z80DOC

Kamelito Source code of the tools. http://files.programmersheaven.com/i...0%2Fz80conv%2F

Last edited by kamelito; 28 June 2014 at 01:29.
kamelito is offline  
Old 28 June 2014, 06:32   #15
invent
pixels

invent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Age: 46
Posts: 163
MOVIE game was a fun game :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
What really takes my breath away are these graphics on AGA of Imagine's Movie

http://amigaonex.blogspot.com.au/201...me-remake.html
Thanks, I'd start drawing these sprites again if anyone was interested in developing a remake (any platform)

Classic Amiga might have half-bright mode (64) and AGA machines (256) colours. Haven't seen any ripped sprites for this one.

Consider adding more details such as wallpaper textures.
invent is offline  
Old 28 June 2014, 08:58   #16
Cpt. Hindsight
Registered User
Cpt. Hindsight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southpark
Posts: 414
I'm still waiting for Bignonia's Beach Head.

There are Knight Lore remakes for the GP2X and the Caanoo as well, but the source codes aren't included in the zips. I guess it's written in C, but I'm not sure the source code would be helpful at all due to the ARM processor of the GPH handhelds.

btw: The remake is excellent.
Cpt. Hindsight is offline  
Old 28 June 2014, 10:15   #17
kamelito
Zone Friend
kamelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: France
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
I'm still waiting for Bignonia's Beach Head.

There are Knight Lore remakes for the GP2X and the Caanoo as well, but the source codes aren't included in the zips. I guess it's written in C, but I'm not sure the source code would be helpful at all due to the ARM processor of the GPH handhelds.

btw: The remake is excellent.
Is it possible for you to ask the source code? Kamelito
kamelito is offline  
Old 28 June 2014, 10:27   #18
Cpt. Hindsight
Registered User
Cpt. Hindsight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southpark
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Is it possible for you to ask the source code? Kamelito
Someone asked for the source code back in 2008 and never received an answer.
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php...e/#entry580112

Pretty unusual for an open handheld.
Cpt. Hindsight is offline  
Old 28 June 2014, 21:43   #19
Angus
Amiga Games Database
Angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South West England
Posts: 521
I always wanted a 3D MechWarrior game on the Amiga.

Never happened but I eventually got my wish by running the DOS version of MechWarrior 1 on my Miggy under emulation. I enjoyed the game, but there was also a smug satisfaction that the multitasking marvel had made it possible.

The sound was rubbish though.
Angus is offline  
Old 29 June 2014, 09:01   #20
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!
Jack Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wingkong warehouses
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Jack, nice to be reminded of Yie ar Kung Fu, played that on the Amstrad but must check out other platforms. Needed to go see a video of that one [ Show youtube player ] I'd be keen on remaking that one too.
The Amstrad version wasn't bad. Back then my best friend had a CPC 464 and I had a C64. I prefered Yie ar Kung Fu on the C64 though.
Speaking of Kung Fu games, another one on which we spent a lot of time was Bruce Lee. I remember having played more Bruce Lee on my friend CPC than my C64 (the green Sumo, haaaa ! His "M˘˘˘" was very funny ! ).
Jack Burton is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic Amiga games that have had remakes/sequels in the last few years Lankey Nostalgia & memories 295 20 April 2017 23:17
Amiga stuff What do you reckon of remakes amiga_Forever Retrogaming General Discussion 2 15 February 2012 13:32
Best AMIGA games remakes for PeeCee??? plasmatron Amiga scene 28 19 November 2008 23:06
remakes on amiga ??? coders wanted turrican3 Retrogaming General Discussion 24 03 October 2007 18:33
Amiga remakes site Ray Norrish Amiga websites reviews 4 02 September 2005 19:49

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.27925 seconds with 15 queries