English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 26 May 2017, 13:32   #301
James

Sorry for late reply haven't had a chance to look at Quake lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
Ok, I assume that you use emulated Amiga with 68k blitz versions (true ???).
Yes. My A1500/040/CV3D is too puny sadly...

Quote:
Maybe exposing the parameters & the way Blitz is started can show how this problems arise in other systems
Have now tried running it on AmiKIT, with a newly extracted shareware pak and just height and width parameters, and it still crashes on quit.

Quote:
I suposse that the replacing models workaround is fixed with -nocachetris.
No, this new version seems to be be able to handle higher poly models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Now I have this error:

I_Error : progs/v_shot.mdl has too many vertices
That is the error I used to get before using the latest version. You can work around it by putting a different progs/v_shot.mdl into a higher numbered pak file.
v_shot.mdl is the gun you start with in Quake (you get it later in the Half-Life mod).
Old 26 May 2017, 15:46   #302
Cowcat

grelbfarlk: Not now

trixster: Of course Matthey w3d libs

James: Try with old 5.6 quake for a chance. On your crash subject, does the mouse pointer appears ? what about 5.8 ? On the latest version, a fix was done for network crash on Sonnet. In fact (if I remember well) also for all systems 5.8 to the first version "wrong" checks were done on closing network functions: Weird that some check for intuition needed to be done in the original sources & probably newer fix broke something in the way.

So see if something works better with/without a network stack (like Miami) & if mouse stops working after closing the game.
Old 26 May 2017, 18:16   #303
James

Quote:
So see if something works better with/without a network stack (like Miami)
Disabled bsdsocket.library emulation and Quake is no longer crashing.
Old 26 May 2017, 19:47   #304
Cowcat

James: Finally !

Maybe on UAE someone could try earlier versions. Or my Quake2 ports just to check out what's going on with bsdsocket emulation.
Old 16 June 2017, 20:01   #305
James

Quote:
James: Finally !

Maybe on UAE someone could try earlier versions. Or my Quake2 ports just to check out what's going on with bsdsocket emulation.
Earlier versions of glQuake used to lock up the system on quit occasionally but they would never guru. I thought the two problems might be linked, but after running and quitting the newest glQuake many times with -noudp (so I could keep bsdsocket.library emulation on) it also eventually locked the system. Don't think your Quake 2 port has these problems, but I could test it a bit more...
Old 16 September 2017, 21:32   #306
spudje

Is there some idiot guide for this? It's nice all these lists of options in the readme files, but the explanations are absolutely everything but that, explanations, for a Quake n00b like me. I have no clue what options to use.

I have the following system:
A4000D
CSPPC & Sonnet
Mediator 4000Di
Voodoo3 3000
2 + 16 + 128 + 256 +Some Sonnet memory

I have issues with PPC/Warp3D games, so I first want to determine if I have a voodoo, AHI or a PPC issue by running Quake in 060 mode with Warp3D on my Voodoo. I installed clickboom Quake and then added Cowcat's build to my Quake folder.

When I run the 060 v6.1 version from this thread (after running copymem060 patch) with option -guardband the game starts straight into (a stuttering) demo mode in a small "stamp size frame" with the rest a grey flickering screen. I cannot find any key that gets me out of the demo and into a game menu.

So please tell me how to start the game that makes use of my voodoo and Warp3D as much as possible to stress the voodoo card. And if there is a way to run it without AHI and another way to run it with AHI I would also be very much pleased to know.

Thanks very much!!
Old 16 September 2017, 22:08   #307
Cowcat

Maybe start with something like that (opening a shell)

Code:
glquakeWOS_vbcc -windowmode -width 512 -height 384 -nocdaudio -nojoy -nopsx
If Sonnet, add to the line
Code:
-ahi -guardband
No need for stack or anything & that should work right away for every cpu version.
Don't remember if an icon pointing to the binary (in fact it is a script) was in older versions but generally is the way I run it (ToolsDaemon anyone?).

If it doesn't work, then look for a clean configuration for quake id/ dir or remove cfg files just in case.

If still doesn't work, something gets in the way. See with SnoopDos if the proper libraries are opened, etc....
Old 17 September 2017, 03:16   #308
grelbfarlk

There was some issue I was having for the longest time, I think -stdio was the option to dump the console output to a window, that told me I had an AHI issue, or at least it bombed starting sound, I think.
Old 17 September 2017, 03:23   #309
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Remove the clickboom installed config files.
Old 17 September 2017, 16:16   #310
spudje

Thanks guys!! Have been running the 060 version for quite some while now, with and whithout the ahi option and no crashes. So I'm more puzzled now, regarding my crashes in Wipeout & Quake 2 in both CSPPC and Sonnet setup.
Old 17 September 2017, 17:00   #311
spudje

Is there a way to run the PPC/WOS version without AHI in a Sonnet system? I get a PPC exception when I don't add the -ahi option. When I run the WOS binary on the Sonnet with ahi I get the same crash after some minutes as I get with Wipeout & Quake 2.
Old 19 September 2017, 20:52   #312
Wrangler

Not to my knowledge, spudje, since the Sonnet can't directly talk to Paula, so AHI is needed to act as the go-between.

Have you got Cowcat's Quake 1 working on PPC as well as 060? That is the least problematic game to try first on PPC/Warp3D - don't move onto Q2/Wipeout until you've got Q1 working is my advice.
Old 06 April 2019, 22:52   #313
Cowcat

2019 BlitzQuake. Work in progress.

Compiled with mos2wos, upgraded interpolation code, etc, etc.

Now that people has more ppc power is time to play the game the way is supposed to without the jerky moves of models: r_interpolations "1"

Recomended also the use of -fixboundbox : Was used for big models/enemies vanishing from sight, but also happens with the other ones a little.

"gl_classic_particles" needs to be paired with -particles 1024 (max) if not it crashes. Particles is set at 2048 for the "point particles" by default.

Did -litfiles work?

And finally key code is internationalized.

Last edited by Cowcat; 13 April 2019 at 15:11.
Old 07 April 2019, 16:31   #314
trixster
Guru Meditating

glquakeWOS_gcc_7 just complains about my ip address not being valid and quits. my ip address is set correctly with -ip 192.168.0.240

this happens regardless of whether the ip stack is running or not. if i go back to glquakeWOS_vbcc6_1 all works fine
Old 07 April 2019, 19:52   #315
Cowcat

@trixter

Net stuff is changed a little to be used by gcc (test). Just use -noudp on the same line of commands you start quake.

Even those little changes/tests I can play on a local net with both compiled versions.

More on that: Of course without net (-noudp) you can't multiplay. Eventually game starts and I've tested that with old versions going back to the original Surgeon Blitz: It gets stuck waiting for broadcasts (or something) when a network card is there, but not so much "out there".

Sometimes it works at the first time, others not. No need to -ip something.

Last edited by Cowcat; 07 April 2019 at 20:04.
Old 07 April 2019, 20:11   #316
trixster
Guru Meditating

ok, loading up fine now

The picture is very dark! A problem with gamma? i have gamma set to 0.7

I have:
r_litfiles 1
gl_flashblend 0
r_fake_multitexture 1
gl_glows 1

startup parameters are as the readme: -litfiles -lm_rgb

it looks a little darker than hedeon's photo in the slack thread. Changing -gamma does not help. under water things look fine, but the main textures are just too dark.

i have the lit files from aminet in id1/maps

Last edited by trixster; 07 April 2019 at 20:28.
Old 07 April 2019, 20:34   #317
Cowcat

Try different combinations: Whatever old commands from old readme's, -litfiles don't need -lm_RGB (in fact is capital " RGB").

Hedeon photo was a testing stuff he tried. He can play with all the lights, but I'm not sure about -litfiles for everyone.

gl_flashblend to 0 eliminates dynamic lights, btw.

Try without r_fake_multitexture or with/without r_vertexarrays.

I can have litfiles but they work "half way" depending on where I'm pointing. Don't know if it's my system.
Old 07 April 2019, 20:40   #318
Cowcat

Or "maybe" I put too much "lights" on this version. Did the old version work with -litfiles alone ?
Old 07 April 2019, 20:41   #319
trixster
Guru Meditating

ah, ok , setting gl_fake_multitexture 0 seems to work!
Old 07 April 2019, 20:49   #320
Cowcat

Some weird stuff is done with that and the old-old code prevented wateralpha for being used: I fixed last time, but still not bullet proof for all.

For bigger mods, multitexturing doesn't work and I tested on my old system that in fact was a little slow for ppc.

And don't try wateralpha setting without correctly vised quake maps........