CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
well who else out of the original engineers could have done that? My Cat ? lol
Old 29 December 2015, 21:14   #42
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
@Olsen,
That is a lot of time even if not fulltime, thanks for the work done.
Cya
Kamelito
You're welcome

It was a lot of work, it was lot of fun, it was a huge learning experience, it turned out to be useful after all, and it needed doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Someone has already pointed out that the source code for SetPatch and other small things are missing from the archive, so it's definitely not complete.
It would have been too much to expect everything to be perfect ;-)

Quote:
@Olaf Barthel, somewhere there is probably a lawyer-type running around with his pants on his head, screaming like a crazy monkey about this, but realistically, what do you think will be the outcome of this?
Hard to say... I expect that just maybe this leak will attract a bit more attention to the Amiga platform for a little while.

Because the source code is in no shape to be immediately useful, and considering how much work would be required to get it there, I expect that nothing much will come out of it.

As far as I know there is no proper legal way to use or access the source code, which limits how much use it could be for "homebrew" Kickstart/Workbench development.

Yes, this sounds a bit pessimistic. But then maybe somebody will be attracted to the platform, now that she or he can see the big picture, the architecture and the design work, what made the Amiga special, and just maybe the small talent pool of Amiga software developers will become a bit deeper as a result. We can hope

Last edited by TCD; 04 January 2016 at 10:26. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 29 December 2015, 21:37   #43
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
Because the source code is in no shape to be immediately useful, and considering how much work would be required to get it there, I expect that nothing much will come out of it.
Any programmer who spends time on it, given your description, will likely give up and come to appreciate the legit version more. A better investment in time (and one I hope no-one makes) would be to hack you and get your CVS repository :

Personally, I have a nostalgic appreciation for 1.3 and it's colour scheme. If someone dumped an archive of the source code for that and it was fixed up and remained backwards compatible, that would be a worthy hobby project in and of itself. However, if I had time to work on things like this, I'd contribute to things like WinUAE or amitools.
Old 30 December 2015, 02:46   #44
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

There is no reference to anything Amiga-related at the given link, does anyone have the correct link?
Old 30 December 2015, 04:28   #45
Mr.Flibble

tbh all you need to look for is "amiga source code 2015" and you'll find it eventually...
Old 30 December 2015, 08:05   #46
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I found amiga os source code <snip - prowler> but it is dated from 2013, presumably it is not the same archive as what was released this month?

Last edited by prowler; 30 December 2015 at 22:18. Reason: Link to copyright material removed.
Old 30 December 2015, 09:54   #47
frank_b

What would it take to open the 3.x sources with a kickstarter?
Old 30 December 2015, 10:00   #48
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_b View Post
What would it take to open the 3.x sources with a kickstarter?
Ask Hyperion and Amiga Inc. about their opinion.
Old 30 December 2015, 10:01   #49
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@Predseda:

It would be better to ask H&P, as neither Hyperion nor Amiga Inc. has the OS3.9 source code.
Old 30 December 2015, 12:05   #50
ptyerman

Don't know why people keep going on about open sourcing it, it's never going to happen, get used to it! There's more chance of Elvis springing back to life dressed as a go-go dancer while platting fog!
Apart from the fact it is still worked on and sold by Cloanto, the ip has passed too many lawyers to be open sourced!
Old 30 December 2015, 12:47   #51
jayminer

I honestly can't see any reason not to open source it, I don't think it will make any difference in sales in any way whatsoever, and it will spark some sort of new life in to the amiga community which can only be good for all companies involved in it.

But I still agree that it will most likely never happen, but we can dream, right?
Old 30 December 2015, 13:52   #52
daxb

As far as I know some parts of the OS are in hands of private people (OS developer) who own the rights now. Other rights are splitted over many sources. Overall its a complete mess and already difficult to get in contact with bondholders. Some rights are not clear or nowbody knows who owns the rights.
Old 30 December 2015, 14:19   #53
ptyerman

Not sure about 3.1 but with 3.9 you are correct. There was quite a few individual contributors of some components and the rights passed back to them. There is a discussion on amiga.org about this and a couple of the contributors are on there.
As for 3.x, Cloanto has reworked some of it beyond what was in 3.9, some of the files are quite recent too. The same for the 3.1 ROM, Cloanto has released a new version with large disk support and other enhancements.
It is very much still alive.
Old 30 December 2015, 14:57   #54
Locutus

All of those Cloanto updates seem however to be just binaries rebundled, i am not sure if they actually wrote anything new or rebuilt from code.
Old 30 December 2015, 15:20   #55
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
All of those Cloanto updates seem however to be just binaries rebundled, i am not sure if they actually wrote anything new or rebuilt from code.
No, these are not merely binaries rebundled. As far as I can tell the code was integrated into the respective Kickstart/Workbench material, with further changes being made as needed.
Old 30 December 2015, 15:36   #56
kamelito
Zone Friend

@Olsen
So in the end, Cloanto might further develop the 68k line which is good, but they're too quiet to my taste.
Kamelito
Old 30 December 2015, 17:13   #57
Gzegzolka

I wonder will there be any official statement to what had happened?
Old 30 December 2015, 17:27   #58
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayminer View Post
I honestly can't see any reason not to open source it, I don't think it will make any difference in sales in any way whatsoever, and it will spark some sort of new life in to the amiga community which can only be good for all companies involved in it.

But I still agree that it will most likely never happen, but we can dream, right?
It's a little sad when you consider Operating Systems like Linux and Android are open source while an old underdeveloped OS from the 80s is not. And there are still ppl trying to squeeze out some cash out of it.
The day will come when there are no more sales of the OS and then they will realize the community would had been in much better shape if they released the sources.
Old 30 December 2015, 17:30   #59
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
I was hardly the first person to attempt and succeed at getting AmigaOS 3.1 to build again (that honour goes to Andy Finkel)
What did Finkel do, and when?
Old 30 December 2015, 18:04   #60
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
It's a little sad when you consider Operating Systems like Linux and Android are open source while an old underdeveloped OS from the 80s is not. And there are still ppl trying to squeeze out some cash out of it.
The day will come when there are no more sales of the OS and then they will realize the community would had been in much better shape if they released the sources.
And what magical pink unicorn is going to appear IF it was open sourced? It would end up abandoned and forgotten just like the thousands of open source projects that lay dormant. Take this simple search of Aminet for example, http://aminet.net/search?query=open+source, a page of results and a page of abandoned software. People wouldn't just appear out of nowhere to start working on 20 year old source code.
If you want open source, it's already here! Work on Aros or Haiku, where development help would be appreciated, or on Linux where it probably would not be.
Open source does not equal a magic pill!