English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 21 July 2010, 17:30   #21
Akira

That game is horrible gameplay-wise.
I would take as a standard Super Street Fighter 2.
YES, it looks HORRIBLE, but the gameplay is nigh-on
This you must remember when converting something like this: PUT GAMEPLAY ABOVE EVERYTHING ELSE.
If you get that right, you can compromise on a lot of teh cosmetics and still deliver an awesome game.

TO WIT: Any Neo Geo conversion to the Neo Geo Pocket.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 July 2010, 18:17   #22
hitchhikr

Quote:
It's possible to do some sprite multiplexing as well to have more than 8 on screen at once, but "impossible" to have thier width exceeding 64 or 128 (4 or 16 colors) pixels in width in total along the same vertical line.
288 pixels plane of 4 colors sprites + a 16 colors bitmap plane is possible.

Quote:
did and I estimated it would be very hairy, if even possible at all, to fit it all in those 512 kB. If a game needs more than 512 kB of chip memory, it's not very OCS friendly anymore.
It's still possible to use the fake fast ($c00000) as chip memory (if there's only 512k of chip).

Anyway, using 64 colors or even 32 in such game (huge characters sprites + advanced collisions + possible background animations + decent characters AI + lotsa samples) and still making everything run at full frame rate would require some serious code optimizing.
Old 28 July 2010, 18:02   #23
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I did and I estimated it would be very hairy, if even possible at all, to fit it all in those 512 kB. If a game needs more than 512 kB of chip memory, it's not very OCS friendly anymore.

But about the colors and stuff, see my previous post. You'd have to split the 32 colors into one background segment and one or two fighter segments. Suddenly you're looking at dithering 96+16+16 colors into 16+8+8 or something. It would even make Dan Malone cringe.

You could use 12+10+10 or such, and dither the background to use 12 unique colors per line and change these with the Copper. I guess in this case it could actually be possible to fit the graphics in 512 kB.

In any case I still think AGA is the best place to start. Then they can finish their port without changing any of the graphics, and look into an OCS port later.
Cynical man with stick: "If it's impossible to do an OCS port now, it's impossible to do an OCS port later. In fact, it's impossible x 2 because the memory still lingers of how hard it was even to port it to AGA. Won't happen."

Sure, more colors and faster CPU means less problems and less of a challenge (depends on expected quality and performance though) - on the other side, if the OCS version is there, it's 1000x easier to add features than to optimize and figuring out which features removed allows it to fit within limitations - it's likely some really gnarly sacrifices have to be made, and it's extremely daunting to re-code very large parts of the code.

I'm not arguing for OCS for this particular project though from what I can judge, AGA and AGA only would be more straightforward for this guy/project. But he has an Amiga.

I suggested "Just starting" (tm) because it's great for getting test-graphics and code up and running. Then you get into the implementation and get a much more concrete concept of what you need and what you need to do to make it possible and with the desired quality. He can easily transfer this knowledge, code, and files to an A1200 if he buys one later.

I think as you do that if he wants it all, he should go A1200, most likely he'll have to make less sacrifices and all* A1200 owners have harddisks so it'll be easy to load stuff in memory fast, both make for a better game.

There's certainly nothing impossible about making a fighter game of this type for A500; whether he wants *his* game on A500 should come from his making decisions on graphics sizes and depths, acceptable loading times, animation framerate etc. He can make those decisions right now, that's what I meant.

"Any Amiga makes it possibleee!"
Old 30 July 2010, 04:07   #24
CMA Death Adder
Rarity 9

Hello again.

After having several lengthy discussions with Amiga veterans including devoted and very knowledgable programmers, I've come to the conclusion that in order to present Sango Fighter on the Amiga with the best possible fanfare and closeness to the PC original, the most logical choice is to consider the AGA machines. To this end I've purchased an affordable A1200 machine from Britain which is now on its way. I'll familiarize myself with the machine as we continue to go over the project details with the programmer we're currently interviewing.

I'm always up for a challenge, but especially since our target release of the game would be as a freeware download, we can't devote the budget and time concerns to try and produce an exquisite OCS version of the game, and there's no way we can consider creating two exclusive versions: one for OCS and one for AGA.

I'd like to thank everyone here for the good feedback and assistance in helping me to make a clear decision. I'll likely sell my A2000HD setup along with the Lynx development hardware / software, and make way for this A1200 to be my "Amiga of choice," as it certainly does seem to be an ideal machine for enthusiasts.
Old 30 July 2010, 07:25   #25
Hewitson

It'd be a crying shame to sell the A2000HD, you could have a lot of fun running software on that that'd never work on the A1200.

What exactly is this Lynx hardware/software? I don't think I've heard of it before.
Old 30 July 2010, 07:30   #26
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

The Atari lynx developers platform was the amiga. Sounds like this 2000 is all set up for the task.
Old 30 July 2010, 09:43   #27
CMA Death Adder
Rarity 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
It'd be a crying shame to sell the A2000HD, you could have a lot of fun running software on that that'd never work on the A1200.
Thanks for the tip, but I'm not interested to run software on the A2000HD. I was going to keep it solely to do testing if we decided to develop a game for the OCS platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
What exactly is this Lynx hardware/software? I don't think I've heard of it before.
The Lynx is a color handheld game system that Atari acquired from Epyx, which was first released in 1989. Since its designers had previously been a part of the Amiga team, the Lynx was designed to interface with the Amiga for game development purposes. Thus even though Atari produced and sold the machine, Amigas were used to develop games for it.

We used a specially equipped A2000HD to aid in the development of Zaku, a new shooter for the Lynx that we released last October. The A2000HD interfaces with Atari's Lynx development system (codenamed "Howard / Howdy"), which is basically a large development box with a skeletal Lynx system connected to it.
Old 30 July 2010, 15:57   #28
Akira

That dev kit rocks. Perhaps you shouldn't sell it.

Also WOW at Zaku, that game is incredible! You are very very pro at this If you need help with any sort of graphic or music needs for this sort of games do not hesitate in asknig me
Old 30 July 2010, 16:41   #29
thgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Also WOW at Zaku, that game is incredible! You are very very pro at this

Yeah, I would almost rather see Zaku ported to the Amiga.

lol @ the giant flying toaster enemy.
Old 30 July 2010, 17:21   #30
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
My name is Brandon Cobb; president of Super Fighter Team, a producer of new games for classic video game systems.

Ah. Just realised that you were the people behind the translations/reworks of Beggar Prince and Legend of Wukong.

I am pretty sure these were already discussed around here (besides being mentioned in those two threads).

It was probably in the Off-Topic section, the content of which is automatically deleted after 6 months of inactivity, which would explain why I cannot find the thread I am thinking of. I believe that thread started around the release of a new Dreamcast racing game.

Well, anyway to be a bit on-topic, good luck with your Amiga project.

Finally, I don't know if it has already been done, but I am pretty sure that if it has not, Lynx sites/fans or even retro-gaming sites in general would be interested if you could document (pictures etc...) the development kit.
Old 31 July 2010, 00:54   #31
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
i think A1200 is the way to go, last machine released... but only use stock specs (well HD is ok)

i would be happy to beta test on my real A1200
Old 31 July 2010, 01:30   #32
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Next game that would be great to port would be Prince of Persia 2 PC version on AGA machines . We always lacked that one, and it's a very nice game in all its glory
Old 31 July 2010, 08:23   #33
CMA Death Adder
Rarity 9

Quote:
Also WOW at Zaku, that game is incredible! You are very very pro at this
Thank you. I appreciate that, and I'll share your comments with Zaku's designer / lead programmer. He'll be happy to hear them, too.

Quote:
If you need help with any sort of graphic or music needs for this sort of games do not hesitate in asknig me
I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Ah. Just realised that you were the people behind the translations/reworks of Beggar Prince and Legend of Wukong.
Indeed we are. We've had great cooperation with game companies in Taiwan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Well, anyway to be a bit on-topic, good luck with your Amiga project.
Thanks! I have a good feeling about it, now that I know what hardware to approach and that there will be an energetic, appreciative audience ready and waiting to give the final product a try.
Old 31 July 2010, 10:52   #34
kriz

This is really interesting!!! Looks super good !!!
Old 15 August 2010, 07:48   #35
breech
Asking stupid questions

I used to love Sango fighter! An Ami port would be sweet.
Old 16 August 2010, 03:43   #36
CMA Death Adder
Rarity 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by breech View Post
I used to love Sango fighter! An Ami port would be sweet.
Ah, thank you! It was one of my favorite fighting games, growing up - so needless to say it was also one of the first games Super Fighter Team sought to acquire legal rights to when we started out. Happily, we succeeded. So we'll do our best to not only preserve it, but to improve upon it and introduce it to new platforms. The Amiga would be a great start.
Old 16 August 2010, 11:33   #37
breech
Asking stupid questions

I only played the shareware version in msdos. When the ami version is complete sign me up as a playtester

Edit: Zaku looks awesome, port that too!

Last edited by breech; 16 August 2010 at 11:40.
Old 18 August 2010, 12:37   #38
CMA Death Adder
Rarity 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by breech View Post
I only played the shareware version in msdos.
When we acquired the rights to Sango Fighter, we immediately released the full version of the original DOS game as freeware. If you'd like to give it a try, you're welcome to download it directly from the sangofighter.com website. The most convenient way to play it via Windows is using DOSBox.

Currently, we are working on a "re-localization" of the game, as well as adding a few improvements to it. The updated code will be used for multi-platform consideration, the Amiga being at the forefront of that consideration.
Old 10 September 2010, 07:14   #39
CMA Death Adder
Rarity 9

My A1200 arrived from England yesterday, and we are putting the finishing touches on our improved version of Sango Fighter for PC. Won't be long now before we can put our attentions toward an adaptation for the Amiga.
Old 10 September 2010, 07:38   #40
kriz

Im looking forward to buy it !!!
AdSense AdSense