English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Amiga Magazine Rack > AMR suggestions and feedback

Old 26 March 2007, 05:27   #1
MethodGit

Some interesting Amiga Action auctions on eBay!

(Note: I don't care if this violates the eBay link rules of this board, this is pretty important for the project and it would go ignored otherwise were it to be confined to the eBay thread!)

There's a lot of spare issues going for sale on eBay at the moment (mostly mid/late '92 and early '93 ones, with a Nov 93 and Oct 95 issue), albeit all without their respective coverdisks, but there's a seperate coverdisks sale here consisting mainly of '93-era disks. Any there that you're looking for still?

Hope this has been of great help to you - the mag may have mostly been unpopular but I feel it still deserves to be archived as much as Amiga Power has!

UPDATE: Wow, there's some good "The One Amiga" auctions too, and they have their original disks as well! This includes ones for Sept 95 (Trolls game) and Dec 94 (ROTR and MK2 demos). Still interested?

Last edited by MethodGit; 26 March 2007 at 05:37.
Old 26 March 2007, 10:19   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Marz: You are welcome to bid on these auctions, win, index and scan the mags for AMR if you wish to help! Everything we currently own is on the site so if it ain't there, we don't have it. Sadly the cost is pretty prohibitive for us down-under guys to bid on these auctions but you lucky UK people can!
Old 26 March 2007, 10:30   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

Firstly I DO care about the ebay rules of this board, if you wanna avoid a warning i'd think before posting stupid comments....

Secondly if the AMR guys want to buy mags then they are perfectly capable of searching ebay themselves.. please do yourself and us a favour and find a better past time than posting pointless threads like this one!
Old 26 March 2007, 11:11   #4
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Marz: You are welcome to bid on these auctions, win, index and scan the mags for AMR if you wish to help! Everything we currently own is on the site so if it ain't there, we don't have it. Sadly the cost is pretty prohibitive for us down-under guys to bid on these auctions but you lucky UK people can!
Thing is, how do we know you've got every page of a particular issue up? There does seem to be the case where people mention random page numbers of a mag and I find AMR doesn't have that page they're on about! (The AP13 Dragon Ninja apology for example.) Apart from that though I guess I can buy some of these mags and scan them, but bear in mind that I've never seriously scanned a magazine page before. Are there guidelines on the best way to do it, scanner settings, what way you need to fold the magazine etc?

And I could buy the coverdisks as well, but bear in mind I have no way of imaging them myself anyway (no Real Amiga!), so who could I send them to to get 'em sorted out? Maybe the SPS team but they might not have the time for random coverdisks I assume.

And Bippy, Tapper has just said the cost for them shipping-wise is pretty bad. He has a point.
Old 26 March 2007, 14:16   #5
Galaxy

I just got a few Amiga Actions from ebay in the UK, but I was lucky as I was able to get a family member to bring them back here. I'd love to get more but it's just way too expensive to ship them over here. Sadly there are far less on offer downunder, and generally they go for ridiculous prices.

Postage on the 6 magazines I bought would have worked about at somewhere between 15 and 20 pounds which is way too much for me.
(of course if there is anyone that wants to donate some magazines that we're missing I'm more than happy to do the scanning)

Unless you have access to an A3 scanner it's pretty much impossible to do good scans of wide format magazines as you need to scan them in 2 parts then composite them. Compositing works ok for the covers, but internal pages are impossible (unless you cut up the magazine) as you'll never get the page completely flat on the scanner.
Old 26 March 2007, 14:56   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
Thing is, how do we know you've got every page of a particular issue up? There does seem to be the case where people mention random page numbers of a mag and I find AMR doesn't have that page they're on about! (The AP13 Dragon Ninja apology for example.) Apart from that though I guess I can buy some of these mags and scan them, but bear in mind that I've never seriously scanned a magazine page before. Are there guidelines on the best way to do it, scanner settings, what way you need to fold the magazine etc?

And I could buy the coverdisks as well, but bear in mind I have no way of imaging them myself anyway (no Real Amiga!), so who could I send them to to get 'em sorted out? Maybe the SPS team but they might not have the time for random coverdisks I assume.

And Bippy, Tapper has just said the cost for them shipping-wise is pretty bad. He has a point.
you've completely missed the point.....

There is no point of posting about mags on ebay uk.. If anyone is going to help AMR then they'll be looking anyway.. like I said can you do something more productive than constantly posting ebay links etc. Get properly involved in a project or 2
Old 26 March 2007, 19:28   #7
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I just got a few Amiga Actions from ebay in the UK, but I was lucky as I was able to get a family member to bring them back here. I'd love to get more but it's just way too expensive to ship them over here. Sadly there are far less on offer downunder, and generally they go for ridiculous prices.

Postage on the 6 magazines I bought would have worked about at somewhere between 15 and 20 pounds which is way too much for me.
(of course if there is anyone that wants to donate some magazines that we're missing I'm more than happy to do the scanning)

Unless you have access to an A3 scanner it's pretty much impossible to do good scans of wide format magazines as you need to scan them in 2 parts then composite them. Compositing works ok for the covers, but internal pages are impossible (unless you cut up the magazine) as you'll never get the page completely flat on the scanner.
Oh dear. Perhaps if I buy the magazines and disks and ship them over to you, would that work? Unless you have someone in your team based in the UK who fits all the requirements (can scan properly, can dump disks etc). This Lexmark X5150 Printer/Scanner device I have may be big and bulky, but I'm not so sure if it's one of those special A3 jobs you seek!
Old 26 March 2007, 20:40   #8
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
its not A3 dependant. Just that it can be a pain in the ass getting the pages to sit straight on an a4 and making sure the page gets scanned right upto the fold . the later the magazine the easier it is as they got smaller and thinner

on an A3 scanner, just slap the page on and crop it at the end with maybe some rotation correction.
Old 27 March 2007, 22:03   #9
MethodGit

Well, I'm going to try and win some of these mags, but I think it's important that you state whether a particular issue on your site is complete (i.e. EVERY page scanned and upped) - if there's any missing and you can't plug the remaining holes yourself I can try and contribute the missing pages if need be!

EDIT: Hang on a mo, this guy selling the "The One" issues has a couple of odd coverdisks: The May 95 issue appears to include Disk 2 from the Jan 93 issue(!), and the December 94 issue randomly includes a CU Amiga Virtual Karting disk instead of the MK2 disk! Methinks this guy must have been a bit desperate to plug in the gaps somehow...
Old 27 March 2007, 23:56   #10
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

If there are any pages missing from an issue that has stuff on the Pages tab then it means we haven't scanned them!

Please remember the project started out just cataloguing coverdisks and it was only later we decided to scan mag covers and then a few reviews. It was only later we decided to scan more and more of the mags.
Old 28 March 2007, 13:48   #11
Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
Well, I'm going to try and win some of these mags, but I think it's important that you state whether a particular issue on your site is complete (i.e. EVERY page scanned and upped) - if there's any missing and you can't plug the remaining holes yourself I can try and contribute the missing pages if need be!.
If we have more than just the cover scanned, we probably have the magazine and can easily make scans of it so don't waste your time scanning these - just request the article and we'll try to accomodate it.

Also I still have scans from a large number of issues to upload (mainly Amiga Computing but some others too.)

@mad-matt: the practicality of doing large scale scanning on those wide issues without an A3 scanner makes the exercise quite futile and highly frustrating. I found on the one issue I tried to scan internal pages this way, required me to make several scans of the same page before i got the two scans flat enough on the scanner. In the end I gave up because the exercise wasn't going to be worth the amount of time invested (Note also that my home scanner can do up to US Legal which is both wider and taller than A4 making the job a little easier). Also, you are much more likely to damage your magazines trying to achieve this because you need to press the magazine to the glass much more firmly. Covers are easy because it is easy to get consistent contact between the page and the glass.

It takes long enough to do an issue of a magazine with a fast A3 scanner - but if have lots of patience and you want to try doing it on an A4 scanner be prepared to be frustrated.

Finally, we don't want scans that are cut off on both sides - there are way too many scans like this floating around on the net already.
Old 31 March 2007, 01:59   #12
MethodGit

Right, I managed to obtain one magazine through the post today - this issue!

Can't check the disks of course to see whether they're still alright, but I can try and post the whole package to one of you if you wish. Not sure how much shipping will be though!