English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 11 August 2013, 20:37   #2321
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraynorm View Post
If got a Dell 1704FPV off ebay, would this monitor work well "out of the box".
That's exactly the monitor I've used to create the out-of-the-box-config. These monitors are dirt cheap and really great with the new flickerfixers. However, pretty much every DVI monitor will work, because I've used fairly low standards. You can create almost any screenmode with the config tool.

Jens
Old 12 August 2013, 08:04   #2322
gnujon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintcat View Post
@Nova: I think it's not that difficult to build a VGA mode with a vertical frequency around 50Hz. The problem for the most people will be to find a monitor (especially a TFT) which is able to display this picture.
I have pretty good results with 75Hz - not perfect, but much better than 60Hz and it is in line with the usual monitor limitations.
Anyone looking for a VGA monitor that can handle a 50Hz input might want to check out this page:

http://www.opencircuits.com/Minimig_..._compatibility

It lists a few monitors that have been confirmed to work, and a few that have been confirmed not to.
Old 12 August 2013, 08:14   #2323
NovaCoder

Thanks for the link

Please note that with the current firmware you cannot generate a 50Hz mode, the best you can do is 51.939Hz.

I'm not sure when (or if) this will be feature will be added. Another mode that was discussed is a 100Hz mode, also unsure of the status of that mode. It looks like you'd have to go with CRT to run at 100Hz anyway.
Old 12 August 2013, 21:23   #2324
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
It looks like you'd have to go with CRT to run at 100Hz anyway.
Why only CRT
Old 12 August 2013, 21:47   #2325
Mr B

I'm not sure. My TV is a LED backlit LCD, and while i have no idea what inputs it actually accepts, since i haven't been able to make sense of the gibberish LG feeds me when i ask, it's "True motion 200MHz" capability indicates that it at least has a screen element capable of drawing a lot more then 50FPS.

I really really need to get around to trying out the Indivision, and find settings that works with my darn Telly, but the summer has had me focusing on other things.
Old 12 August 2013, 21:55   #2326
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Why only CRT
Hardly any flat screen supports 100Hz. The "latest and greatest" CRTs that were built up until a few years ago do support well over 100Hz. My personal favourite in my collection is an Iiyama MA203DT, because it supports 180Hz vertical and 110KHz horizontal, but also the often-needed-but-hardly-available 50Hz modes. The only drawback is it's weight: a 22" CRT is in the 25-kg class.

Further, a V-Synced output mode often looks crappy/teared on a flat screen anyway, because most flat screens have their own frame buffers that are updated "anytime", but not at Vsync time. You need to get a special "gamer" flat screen with V-Sync feature if you want smooth animation. Or a CRT :-)

Jens
Old 12 August 2013, 22:03   #2327
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Oh, well, yes
My TV does 50, 60, and 100Hz. But I do understand that (a capable) CRT would give a better experience.

I just misunderstood Nova that it MUST be a CRT. Thinking that it can't be done on a TFT at all... Sorry about the confusion.
Old 13 August 2013, 06:24   #2328
UncleSpam

Jens,

I've had an issue with my IndiAGA II since March this year.

I did some troubleshooting with Amigakit back in March and discovered that the card now only sends a signal via VGA only. There is no video signal on the DVI side.

I mentioned this issue on this thread when it first came up, but now I have some time to look into it a bit more.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards.
Old 13 August 2013, 06:34   #2329
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSpam View Post
Jens,

I've had an issue with my IndiAGA II since March this year.

I did some troubleshooting with Amigakit back in March and discovered that the card now only sends a signal via VGA only. There is no video signal on the DVI side.

I mentioned this issue on this thread when it first came up, but now I have some time to look into it a bit more.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards.
I know the answer: This is not a support forum and you should have this sorted out with help from your dealer; Amigakit in this case.
Old 13 August 2013, 07:01   #2330
UncleSpam

Amigakit told me to contact the manufacturer directly (after helping me troubleshoot the issue).

I appreciate your concerns, however
Old 13 August 2013, 10:04   #2331
Mr B

In that case, he has a email on his site. He might respond here, but you are sure to get a response through the email.
Old 13 August 2013, 10:27   #2332
Schoenfeld
electricky.

It really doesn't make sense to post support requests in a news forum.

Download the latest software, set output to "DVI" or "DVI+VGA", choose "reflash all" to make sure that any artefacts of an older version are overwritten, then you'll surely have DVI signals enabled for all screenmodes. Files are located on http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK2 and you should download the V1.1 tool (which includes the 2.6 cores) and then the V1.2 tool for use with the 2.6 cores.

Anything beyond that: File a direct support ticket on icomp.de and link to or include all support mails that have been exchanged with your reseller, so we don't do double work.

Jens
Old 13 August 2013, 10:31   #2333
Pyromania

How well would this monitor work with the Indivision AGA Mk2?

http://www.sgi.com/products/legacy/displays.html

I have two of these SGI bad boys and they still work great.
Old 13 August 2013, 11:00   #2334
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
How well would this monitor work with the Indivision AGA Mk2?

http://www.sgi.com/products/legacy/displays.html

I have two of these SGI bad boys and they still work great.
According to this: http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/manu...7-3869-004.pdf
the monitor uses some priprietary 16-wire cable with an unspecified (and therefore assumed proprietary) protocol. If you have an adapter(-box) like the "MultiLink" box on the same page, it'll work. Indivision AGA MK2 should work fine with *any* DVI or VGA monitor - it's the most flexible design I have ever made (anyone cared to check what you can configure? Can you name any output picture parameter that you can't set in the config tool?).

Jens
Old 13 August 2013, 12:05   #2335
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Hi! With my Indi AGA mk2 plus the cfg tool v1.2, i am using 1280x1024 for my Workbench and 800x600 for gaming! Both have been solid on my sony bravia lcd, Workbench fills the screen nicely and looks great.

What i was wondering is, if anyone had come up with a solution to make lower res games fill the screen better, as at the moment the 800x600 Res i am using and i think most other people are using, has a border around it which is most noticeable at the top and bottom of the screen.

I also tried using 640x480 but it cuts of part of the screen, and if i set anything above 800x600 all it does is shrink the game screen even more.

I'm not trying to fill the full 16:9 screen i have, just looking for a fullscreen 4:3 aspect with no borders when gaming.

Has anyone come up with a better resolution/setting for the mk2 for full screen gaming, that's better then my current 800x600 Res with borders?

Or should i just wait until the next cfg tool is released for more options etc!

Also with the indi mk2, to me it looks like it has seperate settings/cores for your workbench Res and for your gaming Res, as my workbench and game resolutions currently have different modes and resolutions setup for each of them, is this correct?

Thanks, Han.
Old 13 August 2013, 12:54   #2336
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
According to this: http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/manu...7-3869-004.pdf
the monitor uses some priprietary 16-wire cable with an unspecified (and therefore assumed proprietary) protocol. If you have an adapter(-box) like the "MultiLink" box on the same page, it'll work. Indivision AGA MK2 should work fine with *any* DVI or VGA monitor - it's the most flexible design I have ever made (anyone cared to check what you can configure? Can you name any output picture parameter that you can't set in the config tool?).

Jens
Sorry, I forgot to mention I had both my monitors altered to standard DVI by the designer of the monitor.

@hansel75

When you play games at 800x600 are they slinky smooth or slightly pixelated?

Last edited by Pyromania; 13 August 2013 at 12:59.
Old 13 August 2013, 13:07   #2337
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Has anyone come up with a better resolution/setting for the mk2 for full screen gaming, that's better then my current 800x600 Res with borders?
I use a 720x576 mode for PAL since it has a little less borders than 800x600, however if you don't want any borders at all, you'll have to go with 640x480 and accept that it cuts a part of the picture. You can adjust which part will be cut and since many games don't use the full screen anyway, it is not a big issue. Too bad 640x512 is not a viable VGA resolution, but maybe your monitor would support it anyway if you tried?
Old 13 August 2013, 13:37   #2338
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I use a 720x576 mode for PAL since it has a little less borders than 800x600, however if you don't want any borders at all, you'll have to go with 640x480 and accept that it cuts a part of the picture. You can adjust which part will be cut and since many games don't use the full screen anyway, it is not a big issue. Too bad 640x512 is not a viable VGA resolution, but maybe your monitor would support it anyway if you tried?
Ok thanks for that, i will give those resolutions a go when next on the A1200!
And when you say you can adjust what part of the screen will be cut off when testing out resolutions, how do you do the adjustments?

@Pyromania

800x600 for gaming on mine is a little pixelated but looks good, it isn't silky smooth because of lack of vsync atm, but it's definitely usable.
I'm not using any kind of tv scaling either!
Old 13 August 2013, 14:16   #2339
demolition
Unregistered User

The H-offset and V-offset values in the config tool are for shifting the picture around. So you should be able to put either 0 or 32 into V-offset to cut either the top or bottom of the image.
Old 13 August 2013, 16:48   #2340
UncleSpam

@Jens,

Thanks, I will follow your instructions.

B.