English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 February 2010, 10:38   #1
Bloodwych

iPhone iPod touch Amiga emulator - how does it work?

Bearclaw posted this over at Ultimate Amiga:

http://www.midlet-review.com/index.p...t=news&id=9125

It got me thinking, just what is this commercial Amiga emulator based on?

Have they used UAE/WinUAE code and just re-packaged it to sell? Can't imagine they built it from scratch.

What about kickstart ROMS? Have they bought the rights to use the code or re-engineered a work around?

How are you going to control the characters without a joystick?

Questions, questions questions........
Old 18 February 2010, 10:46   #2
seuden
uber cool demi god

Hmm interesting, I've always been on the look out for an iPhone Amiga Emulator.

I don't think they're gonna release it as an Amiga emulator it seems they're going to release each individual game like they do on Xbox Live etc.

I assume there will be a pad control instead of a joystick just like most games on the iPhone.
Old 18 February 2010, 15:54   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manomio
"In order to get the speed we needed, I spent about 6 weeks and wrote a 68000 CPU core in about 60+% ARM assembly. Surprisingly, certain games (IK+) run respectively on a 3G device, which means it should do well on a 2nd gen touch device too, given the 25% faster clock speed. The 3GS has a far superior memory architecture to the older devices - it can really push bytes around and fast..."
I cannot believe that anyone looking for Amiga games would pay for this? Amiga emulators and to some extent games have been considered free for so long. It must be targeted at non gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
I don't think they're gonna release it as an Amiga emulator it seems they're going to release each individual game
They are not really allowed. It is against the terms and conditions of iPhone APP development to develop a virtual environment which can load in data. This same developer got caught out on this in his C64 emulator.
Old 18 February 2010, 17:01   #4
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I cannot believe that anyone looking for Amiga games would pay for this? Amiga emulators and to some extent games have been considered free for so long. It must be targeted at non gamers.

They are not really allowed. It is against the terms and conditions of iPhone APP development to develop a virtual environment which can load in data. This same developer got caught out on this in his C64 emulator.
But thats what the current C64 emulator on the iPhone does?

They just disabled basic... ( of which you can get to now )
Old 18 February 2010, 17:05   #5
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
You'll be surprised how many n00bs there are out there that would pay for it. The majority of people don't even know what emulation is let alone it exists for the majority of systems we used as a kid.

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know the reasons behind it but knew they wouldn't probably release it as an Amiga emulator.
Old 18 February 2010, 20:37   #6
kamelito
Zone Friend

I got a discount of their emulator for Iphone the controls are terrible...
The other thing I don't understand is that they did a port of Reminiscence and they download the games datas from the DOS version to be able to play Flashback I don't understand why the copyrights authors do not "attack them" and why Apple did validate this app.
In the about text they said contact us if you wanna the source code I ask once and never get any reply, they're just rippers that make a living with others people work.
kml
Old 19 February 2010, 01:43   #7
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

That screenshot looks really blurry, who would pay money for crap like this? Then again people pay for Amiga Forever so who knows. Ah well, it's just Apple lusers so who cares.
Old 19 February 2010, 04:23   #8
Jonathan Drain

When I heard of an iPhone Amiga emulator I thought of several problems. How would they go about writing an Amiga emulator (it's not easy!)? How would you get data to the iPhone? Can the iPhone handle an Amiga emulator? And very importantly, how would you use a touch screen to control games that largely used joystick?
Old 19 February 2010, 10:10   #9
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Controls: same way they do it now with the C64 emulator.
Apparently it runs pretty well on a 3GS.. and reasonable on a 3G! Guess they`ll only do games that you can get into with joysticks ( not much keyboard input ) or... they`ll do what they do with the C64 one... add certain keys to get into the game.. ie.. open up the keyboard presses for certain keys... and have the rest disabled!