English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 10 September 2018, 23:27   #1
hth313

ADDI vs ADD #

It seems that both of these instructions can be used to encode add immediate to a data register.

Code:
    ADD.L   #0x1234,D1
    ADDI.L  #0x1234,D1
GNU assembler will encode these two in the same way. Is there any benefit of converting ADD to ADDI in this case? They are both the same size. They are the same number of cycles if I read the tables right.

What is the general view on converting instructions like this? Is not the assembler supposed to do what you ask it to do, rather than to change things for you?
Old 10 September 2018, 23:39   #2
idrougge

ADD.L is just a convenience offered by the assembler — given an immediate value, it will output ADDI.L.
Old 11 September 2018, 00:44   #3
ross
Defendit numerus

Actually is not a convenience for the assembler but a choice by the assembler.
I second hth313: i want an assembler that do what I tell to do (there are the compilers that choose for you..).

If for some reason I prefer the encoding d2bc in place of that 0681? (ADD.l #imm,d1 and ADDI.l #imm,d1 respectively).
Yes same length, same cycles, same operation but is my choice (I can generate opcode from these, make self-modifying, EOR patch, use for encrypt..).

And some assembler generate different opcode for OR/ORI, AND/ANDI but not other legal combo
Old 11 September 2018, 00:50   #4
phx
Natteravn

No. "ADD #x,Dn" and "ADDI #x,Dn" are two different instructions with different opcodes, although their operation and number of cycles used is identical.

A good assembler will not automatically convert ADD into ADDI and vice versa, when the selected addressing modes are supported. It should generate what the developer wrote in the source.
Old 11 September 2018, 00:53   #5
phx
Natteravn

Ross was faster. I got distracted.

I should also mention that it is important that the assembler generates exactly what is written in the source, when you have a reassembler output and want to compare it with the original.
Old 11 September 2018, 00:57   #6
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
It should generate what the developer wrote in the source.
Yes, asm coder appreciate this

I would also tend to not trust an assembler that does what it wants even in these small cases.

Quote:
I should also mention that it is important that the assembler generates exactly what is written in the source, when you have a reassembler output and want to compare it with the original.
Another good reason.
Old 11 September 2018, 04:15   #7
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth313
What is the general view on converting instructions like this? Is not the assembler supposed to do what you ask it to do, rather than to change things for you?
Some assemblers can optionally change instructions to save typing or optimize the output. For general purpose programming the exact encoding doesn't matter so this is fine. If you need precise encoding then any optimizations can hopefully be turned off, however even this may not be enough in some cases.

While developing my own re-assembler I discovered that some compilers produce 'buggy' machine code that cannot be exactly reproduced with standard instructions. Some examples:-

- Rubbish in the upper 8 bits of an immediate Byte value.

- Bits set that are ignored on the 68000, but may affect operation of later CPUs.

- CMPI.W #xx,D0 used to skip the next instruction, with a branch into the middle of the CMPI instruction.

- MOVEM.L with an empty register list.

To reproduce these I use DC.W to 'poke' word values into the code, possibly wrapped in a macro which represents the instruction.

Creating an identical copy of the executable file is even harder. The assembler may not be able to reproduce the hunk structure exactly, and the offsets in relocation tables are often ordered differently. This makes verification of disassembled output harder, but even identical reassembled code doesn't prove that the disassembly is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
i want an assembler that do what I tell to do (there are the compilers that choose for you..).
Then you wouldn't want the GNU assembler, because...

Quote:
as is primarily intended to assemble the output of the GNU C compiler gcc for use by the linker ld. Nevertheless, we've tried to make as assemble correctly everything that other assemblers for the same machine would assemble.
Old 11 September 2018, 09:37   #8
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
And some assembler generate different opcode for OR/ORI, AND/ANDI but not other legal combo
I've just tried with PhxAss 4.44 which i'm using and it's ok for ADD/ADDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Seen that many times. Usually it's $FF with negative values. You can guess the assembler was written in C and treated the data as signed.

Quote:
- Bits set that are ignored on the 68000, but may affect operation of later CPUs.
That's not a disassembly error IMO, that's really a bug in the program !
For this reason you could setup some way to identify 020+ instruction. (F.e. My disassembler puts an extra space at start for these.)

Quote:
- CMPI.W #xx,D0 used to skip the next instruction, with a branch into the middle of the CMPI instruction.
Easy way to recognise SAS/C

Quote:
I don't remember having seen any, but a good assembler should be able to cope with that.

Quote:
Creating an identical copy of the executable file is even harder. The assembler may not be able to reproduce the hunk structure exactly, and the offsets in relocation tables are often ordered differently. This makes verification of disassembled output harder, but even identical reassembled code doesn't prove that the disassembly is accurate.
Small differences are acceptable. I use some kind of cmp program and outputs the results to a file, then check what's different.

But true, the disassembly might reassemble ok and not being really editable as new source.

A few extra things can be annoyances :
- use of base reg to access data (sometimes for a jmp table as well)
- C switch statement done with a data table immediately following a jsr (some Mac compiler does this)
- absolute code (what is data ? what is mem address ?)
- custom executable format
- pc-relative stuff (jmp offset table) using reference in middle of instruction

Because so many dirty things can happen, i didn't base my own disasm on automatic recognition but on a script system.
Old 11 September 2018, 09:43   #9
ross
Defendit numerus

Hi Bruce, I also noticed the cases that you described and probably are due to compilers that do not generate intermediate assembler code but directly bitcodes.

In particular:

Quote:
This rubbish normally comes from an internal compiler sign extension (so you have $103cff99 for a move.b #$99,d0).
I do not remember if it is expressly forbidden to use the upper 8 bits since they do not create problems in any processor of the family.
I would be to accept the form (with strong warning) move.b #$1234,d0 ($103c1234) because I could have such code:
Code:
.l	move.b	#$1234,d0
	cmp.w	.l+2(pc),d1
Yes, horrible..

Quote:
This is definitely a bug.

Quote:
I've noticed this very often, the only solution is with dc.w
I can condone this practice, avoiding jumps is always a good thing.. but code become unreadable.

Quote:
- MOVEM.L with a list of empty registers.
This is an obscure and lazy programming practice.
I can understand that routines are pre-spaced with placeholders and then filled, but if you really must, at least use another opcode..
For all intents and purposes, the statement is a longword nop.
In similar situations I use $0.l (ori.b # 0,d0), packers compresses it better
But I would be to accept (with warning) the form movem.x <dest>

You could do an interesting and useless quadwords nop (dc.w $ 48f9,0,0,0-> movem.l $0.l)
[EDIT: interesting.. on 68k movem.l <void> $11111111 trigger an exception, so dest is evaluated ]

Congratulations for your disassembler.
When it is ready I will certainly try it!

Last edited by ross; 11 September 2018 at 09:54.
Old 11 September 2018, 09:47   #10
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
This is definitely a bug.

Not necessarily. In my opinion this is only a bug if compiler is set to produce 68010+ code.
Old 11 September 2018, 10:08   #11
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Not necessarily. In my opinion this is only a bug if compiler is set to produce 68010+ code.
Vice versa. It's a bug if the compiler is set to produce pure 68k code
Old 11 September 2018, 11:56   #12
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I've just tried with PhxAss 4.44 which i'm using and it's ok for ADD/ADDI.
Sure. In the 90s I already worked together with the author of the IRA reassembler, so PhxAss had to generate exact code.

Most assemblers of the time couldn't do that and converted ADD into ADDI. I remember Devpac, AsmOne, Barfly, SNMA doing it. Devpac even swapped operands in the encoding of the EXG instruction.

Quote:
I don't remember having seen any, but a good assembler should be able to cope with that.
The only way to specify an empty register list would be with a REG directive and an empty operand. I doubt that there is any assembler which accepts it directly, like in:
Code:
        movem.l ,-(sp)
Quote:
Because so many dirty things can happen, i didn't base my own disasm on automatic recognition but on a script system.
You made a disassembler, or even reassembler? Didn't know.

I agree that you need some kind of script to tell the reassembler about code/data regions, jump-tables, small-data model and addresses in absolute code. No reassembler can ever produce 100% perfect output. It is always a long process of reassembling, checking the output, adapting the script.

Quote:
I would be to accept the form (with strong warning) move.b #$1234,d0 ($103c1234) because I could have such code:
Hmm. Indeed, it would nice when the assembler could encode that - as sick as it is. Noted.
Old 11 September 2018, 12:15   #13
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
You made a disassembler, or even reassembler? Didn't know.
It's because i never released that program.
I needed it for my Atari ST / Mac 68k to Amiga game ports.
I also had to disassemble FTL's own executable format.
Old 11 September 2018, 17:27   #14
Don_Adan

Quote:
Some assemblers can optionally change instructions to save typing or optimize the output. For general purpose programming the exact encoding doesn't matter so this is fine. If you need precise encoding then any optimizations can hopefully be turned off, however even this may not be enough in some cases.

While developing my own re-assembler I discovered that some compilers produce 'buggy' machine code that cannot be exactly reproduced with standard instructions. Some examples:-

To reproduce these I use DC.W to 'poke' word values into the code, possibly wrapped in a macro which represents the instruction.

Then you wouldn't want the GNU assembler, because...
MOVEM.L with an empty register list is often used in some Titus games. This is compiler feature (?). movem.l , -(sp) and movem.l (sp)+, if remember right then no assembler can assemble this, i checked a few assemblers. Then i used dc.l or removed this line from resource code, dependent if i want to have 100% same output or only shortest resourced code.
Seems you create own dissasembler. I used only ReSource 5 or 6 for resourcing, but it has some limitations. Cant handle word adressing code correctly, cant handle phx's favorite word relocs, has problems with big bss sections (not enough memory), and cant handle word/longword offsets at odd addreses. Last feature is perhaps dont handled by Amiga assemblers too, but i dont checked this exactly. And was used in some Titus games too, f.e in Dark Century music.
Btw. for me
- CMPI.W #xx,D0 can be optional resourced/fixed as bra.b, much easiest to understand.
Old 11 September 2018, 22:03   #15
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Devpac even swapped operands in the encoding of the EXG instruction.
Yeah, I got caught by that one. However the end result is the same, so if it wasn't for expecting identical output from re-assembly it wouldn't bother me.

Quote:
I agree that you need some kind of script to tell the reassembler about code/data regions, jump-tables, small-data model and addresses in absolute code. No reassembler can ever produce 100% perfect output. It is always a long process of reassembling, checking the output, adapting the script.
My disassembler doesn't use scripts, it tries to identify data regions directly by analyzing the data and how it is accessed. This doesn't always work 100%, mostly because data embedded in code sections may be indistinguishable from actual code. My solution was to default to data when the type is ambiguous, then allow the user to change it by selecting lines with the mouse and setting the data type. I also try to identify and decode computed jump tables, which eliminates a lot of 'unreachable' code.

The only problem with my approach is that after many years of tweaking the code to handle different situations it has to started to look like spaghetti. I am now concentrating on cleaning it up, which unsurprisingly has made it work better! Small programs now often disassemble accurately without any user input, while larger programs only need a few minutes work to get right. The GUI is designed with an emphasis on quickly producing viable source code rather than offering a confusing array of menus or having to create complicated scripts.

My focus is on OS-friendly applications rather than games. These are mostly written in C, so my disassembler is 'tuned' to handle typical compiled code. The goal is to produce source code that can be easily modified to fix bugs or add features. That means not necessarily producing identical output, but correctly identifying different data types and formatting them appropriately so that the code doesn't break when modified.

A re-assembler might produce an identical executable without correctly identifying code and data structures. For example a block of code could be incorrectly disassembled as word data and still be executable, or some data might be misidentified as code which then (hopefully) assembles back to the same byte sequence. Branch tables (used in Case statements) and array element offsets may be disassembled as plain words, therefore not labeling the addresses they point to. This becomes a problem if you want to modify the source.

Quote:
I used only ReSource 5 or 6 for resourcing, but it has some limitations. Cant handle word adressing code correctly, cant handle phx's favorite word relocs, has problems with big bss sections (not enough memory), and cant handle word/longword offsets at odd addreses. Last feature is perhaps dont handled by Amiga assemblers too
My disassembler will have switches to configure its output to suit popular assemblers (so far only Devpac, Proasm, and Barfly, but others are planned). It doesn't accept word/longword accesses at odd addresses because that is illegal code. However it will label such data with a non-aligned type, so the code will still be produced - and crash as expected.

Big BSS sections can be a problem because I allocate equal amounts of memory for both the executable and the 'symbol table' (which has an entry for each byte in the executable). This is not a problem if you have plenty of RAM. The largest (in memory) executable size my disassembler can handle is 1MB, so it won't need more than 2MB total (in two contiguous blocks of 1MB each).

This may seem wasteful, but has the advantage that the symbol table is always large enough, and no extra memory ever has to be allocated. It also avoids having to search through the symbol table, so disassembly doesn't slow down with large programs (which may have several thousand labels). Since disassembly is fully interactive and occurs 'on the fly', having fast access to entries in the symbol table is essential.
Old 11 September 2018, 23:03   #16
Don_Adan

Sorry for my poor english, but word/longword accesses at odd addresses are legal. I dont mean about code, but only about offsets. Something like this:

even
Start
dc.b 15
dc.w label1-Start

label1

Of course it has no big sense for 68000 CPU because move.w cant be used, but two times move.b and lsl is used, if i remember right. Maybe if someone want to optimize size of data it has sense.

You can check source and asembled version, here:
http://wt.exotica.org.uk/customs.html

33th custom module. Because no support for word data at odd addresses, i added extra buff, and custom module is larger.
Old 11 September 2018, 23:43   #17
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
My disassembler doesn't use scripts, it tries to identify data regions directly by analyzing the data and how it is accessed. This doesn't always work 100%, mostly because data embedded in code sections may be indistinguishable from actual code. My solution was to default to data when the type is ambiguous, then allow the user to change it by selecting lines with the mouse and setting the data type.
Right. But that comes down to the same thing. Non-GUI reassemblers use a script or configuration files, and GUI reassemblers use the mouse and menus to achieve the same effect.

The GUI approach is probably more comfortable and easier to use, but GUIs are not really portable.

Quote:
The GUI is designed with an emphasis on quickly producing viable source code rather than offering a confusing array of menus or having to create complicated scripts.
I'm curious to try it, once your reassembler is done.

Quote:
A re-assembler might produce an identical executable without correctly identifying code and data structures.
It should always do that, even if it only outputs DC.W for the whole program, otherwise it has a bug (or the assembler has).

Quote:
Branch tables (used in Case statements) and array element offsets may be disassembled as plain words, therefore not labeling the addresses they point to. This becomes a problem if you want to modify the source.
True. Those tables are important for the reassembly to be identified and to be represented by labels in the source. For example a PC-relative jump table must appear as "dc.w destlabel-tablebase", otherwise it is not automatically updated when changing the source.

Quote:
Since disassembly is fully interactive and occurs 'on the fly', having fast access to entries in the symbol table is essential.
Absolutely. A truly interactive reassembler can speed up the process a lot, but has to be designed to be interactive from the beginning.

The reassembler which I am mostly using, IRA, must do a complete run after every little change, which may take a lot of time. But, on the other hand, it is portable and I can also run it on extremely fast machines, together with my assembler, which is also portable.
Old 12 September 2018, 08:56   #18
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
My focus is on OS-friendly applications rather than games. These are mostly written in C, so my disassembler is 'tuned' to handle typical compiled code.
This is the key point. Compiled code is "naive" in some way and easier to handle.

My needs are different, and games are more difficult to get right because they can use all sorts of wicked tricks.
I also need to disassemble things that are not Amiga executables.

The most difficult is absolute code : you don't have the relocs but you need a way to set them up by hand. In the case of Back To The Golden Age i got saved because two versions with different offsets could be compared.

But even OS friendly apps can have complications. Libraries/devices for example don't have obvious entry points. Same (and worse) for Delitracker/Eagleplayer plugins.