English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 November 2012, 20:00   #1
clitosa
CLI

Are these A1200 settings good enough for OS4?

Thanks for the help of people on EAB, I’ve managed to locate my system info on WB3.1. Wanted to upgrade to OS4 but unsure if my hardware meets the requirements.

The A1200 has got 3.1 Roms and has a memory expansion of 4MB but I'm unsure that it's the same thing as the PPC Accelerator card, which I hear is needed.

Have enclosed the photos of the system info. If anyone can recognise it as being sufficient, I’d appreciate being told.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sysinfo.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	33192   Click image for larger version

Name:	expansionmem.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	33194   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	33195  

Last edited by clitosa; 24 November 2012 at 12:50.
Old 15 November 2012, 20:12   #2
roy bates

os4 requires a powerpc cpu.which you deffinitly dont have infact you have a low end 68k amiga.(virtually stock)

Last edited by roy bates; 15 November 2012 at 20:18.
Old 15 November 2012, 20:12   #3
alenppc

You cannot run OS4 on that configuration, you need a much more powerful (not to mention expensive) PowerPC card. But running OS4 on classic Amigas is not really useful, might as well configure the 3.1 you have so that it is functional.
Old 15 November 2012, 21:26   #4
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
os4 requires a powerpc cpu.which you deffinitly dont have infact you have a low end 68k amiga.(virtually stock)
That's a shame. Thanks for letting me know.

Are all A1200 models without this powerpc cpu? Also what is meant by a low end 68k amiga?

Thanks
Old 15 November 2012, 21:33   #5
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs down Good For OS3.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
You cannot run OS4 on that configuration, you need a much more powerful (not to mention expensive) PowerPC card. But running OS4 on classic Amigas is not really useful, might as well configure the 3.1 you have so that it is functional.
Thanks Alen. I take it the PowerPC card has the necessary PowerPC cpu for OS4? Would this current set up be sufficient for a older OS like 3.5?

Thanks

Old 15 November 2012, 21:34   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clitosa View Post
Also what is meant by a low end 68k amiga?
Very good question. The answer is it depends. If you like games you can play lot of them with your configuration. If you want more you need a better accelerator, like an ACA. If you are cracy for amigas you can use a 060 accelerator or if you are rich a PPC just for having it, as it won't do anything so great.
Old 15 November 2012, 21:46   #7
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs down Yep, just a retro gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Very good question. The answer is it depends. If you like games you can play lot of them with your configuration. If you want more you need a better accelerator, like an ACA. If you are cracy for amigas you can use a 060 accelerator or if you are rich a PPC just for having it, as it won't do anything so great.
Thanks Retro. I looked on the the uploaded pages but was unable to locate the infamous 68k. I trust what people are saying though and shall be giving chasing OS4 on the A1200. Yeah, the machine is purely for gaming purposes so i guess the config is fine for that. Do you think it's suitable for OS3.5?

Old 15 November 2012, 22:15   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

This is the only site you have to search for:

http://classicwb.abime.net/

Bloodwych recommends a top of Classic Workbench Full or Classic Workbench Adv (well, he says 6Mb). No, I woudn't use 3.5 with 4Mb. The top would be ADVSP using Scalos. In your place and to start I would use the Full or Adv version.

Edit: Well, of course you can try the Lite too. And BTW, do you know what you would be using to play games with OS4.1? An emulator of Amigas to play games in an Amiga.

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 November 2012 at 23:51.
Old 15 November 2012, 23:23   #9
roy bates

just stick to what youve got,and get a 4 gig cf card for games it'll be fine.

dont bother with os 3.5(its a bloated os along with 3.9) just use 3.0 or 3.1 it wont matter a bit honest.the lighter it is the the less ram it uses.

this is what i ment by 68k:
any of these cpu's is 68k and runs os 1.2 to 3.9

68020 (this is you)
68060 (this is me,this crazy dude)

as for ppc these can run os 4.0 to 4.1
603 and 604 (this is the rich and crazy,just like me)

there are other ppc amigas,but there even more expensive.

Last edited by roy bates; 15 November 2012 at 23:34.
Old 15 November 2012, 23:32   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Lol Roy. I'm not rich, but I'm absolutely stupid (an step more than crazy) to have also a PPC... there it is getting dust.

As he says, clitosa, you don't need anything else to start but a Cf (with the adapter), although I would buy an 8Gb one if you can, and Sandisk.

Edit: Oh... I forgot. You can make all easiest buying an already made Cf with 4Gb:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883

If you like it, tell them to use PFS3, as they do and it's the best file system.

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 November 2012 at 00:28.
Old 15 November 2012, 23:36   #11
roy bates

Quote:
Lol Roy. I'm not rich, but I'm absolutely stupid (an step more than crazy) to have also a PPC... there it is getting dust.

As he says, clitosa, you don't need anything else to start but a Cf, although I would buy an 8Gb one if you can, and Sandisk.

no dont think your stupid ,but im deffinitly crazy for having 060 and ppc based amigas

actually,clitosa what ram expansion have you got? maybe it can take 8mb simms.

and please dont be offended by the word "low end" as years ago i used to think the stock machines where under powered and dident have anough ram to do such things as raytracing and picture manipulation out the box(playing games can be done just with a stock machine just fine)and what i say does not mean im trying to insult anyone.

Last edited by roy bates; 15 November 2012 at 23:52.
Old 16 November 2012, 00:05   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
...and please dont be offended by the word "low end" as years ago i used to think the stock machines where under powered and dident have anough ram to do such things as raytracing and picture manipulation out the box(playing games can be done just with a stock machine just fine)and what i say does not mean im trying to insult anyone.
Yes, your config never would have been a low end one back in the day, that's what I was meaning when I said yours was a good question about that, clitosa

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 November 2012 at 00:11.
Old 16 November 2012, 00:22   #13
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Before considering buying more memory, it's probably better to see if you can run the games you want to play with what you have
Old 16 November 2012, 01:59   #14
NovaCoder

Why do you want to run OS4?
Old 16 November 2012, 23:41   #15
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs up

Quote:
This is the only site you have to search for:

http://classicwb.abime.net/

Bloodwych recommends a top of Classic Workbench Full or Classic Workbench Adv (well, he says 6Mb). No, I woudn't use 3.5 with 4Mb. The top would be ADVSP using Scalos. In your place and to start I would use the Full or Adv version.

Edit: Well, of course you can try the Lite too. And BTW, do you know what you would be using to play games with OS4.1? An emulator of Amigas to play games in an Amiga.
Thanks Retro. Guess there's no point have a slow 3.5. Will look into getting a copy of that Classic WB. Looks better than 3.1, but would you say it actually "is" better? Do you think the full version is good the a1200 in question?

Quote:
just stick to what youve got,and get a 4 gig cf card for games it'll be fine.

dont bother with os 3.5(its a bloated os along with 3.9) just use 3.0 or 3.1 it wont matter a bit honest.the lighter it is the the less ram it uses.

this is what i ment by 68k:
any of these cpu's is 68k and runs os 1.2 to 3.9

68020 (this is you)
68060 (this is me,this crazy dude)

as for ppc these can run os 4.0 to 4.1
603 and 604 (this is the rich and crazy,just like me)

there are other ppc amigas,but there even more expensive.
Nice 1 Roy - you just cleared up my confusion on those 68k's. So what we got here is a 68020 (68k) cpu with 4MB Ram.

Rich? Lol - i wish. I think if people love workbench enough to use it for more than just playing games, then they can justify the cost of those ppc's. Personally, I use it for those retro games. Although (eventually) I would like to go online with it for file purposes, writing letters and printing. Nothing (I'm guessing) that is outside the capabilities of WB3.1

Quote:

As he says, clitosa, you don't need anything else to start but a Cf (with the adapter), although I would buy an 8Gb one if you can, and Sandisk.

Edit: Oh... I forgot. You can make all easiest buying an already made Cf with 4Gb:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883

If you like it, tell them to use PFS3, as they do and it's the best file system.
Good man - thank u. Have heard those CF HD's are faster and that the old 3.5" HD will not last forever (magnetic media) CLI question, does that version of WHDLoad included with the CF come with all the games?

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 17 November 2012 at 10:22. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 16 November 2012, 23:59   #16
roy bates

yes you can do all that you want to do with wb 3.1,you may at a later date want to go on the internet but may need a faster cpu maybe a 68030.but theres no big rush at the moment is there.
Old 17 November 2012, 00:00   #17
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clitosa View Post
Thanks Retro. Guess there's no point have a slow 3.5. Will look into getting a copy of that Classic WB. Looks better than 3.1, but would you say it actually "is" better? Do you think the full version is good the a1200 in question?

Yes, if you like the Full version it's nice (all of them are) and will run right in your miggy. CWB is a preconfigured setup of 3.1 (or 3.0), so you have a lot of options already installed, and even you can select some of them in the install.

Have you watched the demo video? http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/features.htm This is surely the CWB Adv.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 November 2012 at 00:07.
Old 17 November 2012, 00:06   #18
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs up offended by my own nativity (lol)

Quote:
no dont think your stupid ,but im deffinitly crazy for having 060 and ppc based amigas

and please dont be offended by the word "low end" as years ago i used to think the stock machines where under powered and dident have anough ram to do such things as raytracing and picture manipulation out the box(playing games can be done just with a stock machine just fine)and what i say does not mean im trying to insult anyone.
Hi Roy - some may say but we say (lol)

I believe it's a 4MB ram expansion. Is there a (easy) way to find out if it could take 8mb simms?

No offense take R. I was (however) a bit shocked to discover how low the specifications actually were. Guess I was naive to believe the 4MB Ram expansion maybe suitable for the later versions of the amiga OS. But I do appreciate all the help from people like you here on EAB cheers!
Old 17 November 2012, 00:11   #19
roy bates

take a picture of the card and place it in this thread.its in the trapdoor under the amiga.
Old 17 November 2012, 00:13   #20
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs up 68k

Quote:
Yes, your config never would have been a low end one back in the day, that's what I was meaning when I said yours was a good question about that, clitosa
Yep - makes sense now (i think). Like they were when people first got them out the box.(going back). Think our 1200 hardware has a 020(68k) cpu