English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 December 2009, 18:29   #1
robotriot
Tubby mechanical friend

Send a message via ICQ to robotriot
Formating Real 40GB Harddisk w/ WinUAE & OS3.9

I've got a 2.5" IDE 40GB harddisk installed in my PC, which I'd like to format and install OS3.9 to on WinUAE and later use in my A1200.

I'm using the latest WinUAE version and OS3.9 w/ BB1&2 (scsi.device 43.43). I set the harddisk controller to IDE0 and HDToolbox detects it correctly and shows the correct size. However, I am unable to create working partitions on the drive. I want a 2GB partition for the Workbench, and the remaining space for games and demos. If I'm using FFS or SFS, I'm getting the "Error 4 in drive description" message. If I use 2GB for the boot partition, and divide the remaining space into 8GB or smaller partitions and use FFS, I can Save the settings and get a bunch of uninitialized drives (doing the same thing with SFS gives me Error 4 again). However, I can't Quick Format any of them - after a while a message "Not a valid DOS disk" pops up. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I'm really desperate right now, it cost me the whole afternoon already
Old 23 December 2009, 20:04   #2
thomas

Is this on Vista or Seven by chance ? And was the disk mounted with a drive letter before you started ? These operating systems don't allow to write to non-empty disks. At least I got this problem several times with CF cards. You should first tell Windows that the drive is empty, then try to work with it in WinUAE.

Open Start -> Alle Programme -> Zubehör, right-click on Eingabeaufforderung and select "Als Administrator ausführen". In the DOS window enter

diskpart
list disk
select disk n
clean

replace "n" by the number of the disk you want to clean. Do not choose the wrong one !!

Now disconnect the drive safely and reconnect it (if it is connected to USB) or reboot the PC (if the drive is connected to the motherboard's IDE controller) and try again in WinUAE. You can run WinUAE without -disableharddrivesafetycheck.

"Error 4 in drive description" has nothing to do with the file system. It means "error on reread" which probably should tell us that the data was not properly written.
Old 23 December 2009, 20:22   #3
robotriot
Tubby mechanical friend

Send a message via ICQ to robotriot
Thanks Thomas, I was indeed using Windows 7 and this seems to have solved my problem. You're a life saver ;)
Old 24 December 2009, 19:09   #4
clueless
Guessing my way round

Thanks, had the same problem. All sorted now
Old 10 August 2010, 11:46   #5
1time
Amiga Lover

This is an old thread. But i just want to say that this worked perfectly for me.

Thanks a lot.