English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 05 August 2019, 22:57   #2521
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only person in the world that has trouble liking Infinity War. The comparison to Dragonball is amusing, I guess the collecting of the stones is kind of like collecting dragon balls and there is a bit of an Android + Cell saga vibe to the entire thing
Just watched Endgame on Saturday night and thought it was pants. The 1st hour was dull as hell and what followed wasn't much better.

For me Infinity War was better, but that's not saying much.
Old 06 August 2019, 11:58   #2522
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only person in the world that has trouble liking Infinity War. The comparison to Dragonball is amusing, I guess the collecting of the stones is kind of like collecting dragon balls and there is a bit of an Android + Cell saga vibe to the entire thing
Kind of, yes : collect them all, make a wish ... and don't forget to slap the bad guy and to be slapped in return until the denouement .
Old 06 August 2019, 14:32   #2523
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Alita : Battle Angel

The plot : « Dr. Dyson Ido is a cybernetic doctor who repairs damaged cyborgs in the garbage city where he lives. Above the garbage city floats the city of Zalem. Walking through a landfill, among the debris, the Dr. discovers the top of a bust (with face) of a female cyborg. Seeing that she is still alive, he decides to save her. When she wakes up, the cyborg has no memory. The Dr. calls her Alita and treats her like his daughter (the Dr.'s daughter is dead several year before and was named Alita).
Hated by some, helped by her adoptive father and the love she feels for Hugo, Alita, will be confronted with the violence of the city and its inhabitants, which will allow her to recover some of the sensations of her past. Snippets of memories will appear to her as her talent for combat and survival will resurface. »

I don't know (name excepted) the "Gunnm" manga that inspired the film. So no comparison....

Here is a movie that was pleasant to watch. For my part, it is much better than the two Avengers mentioned above .
The characters are well introduced. They are well acted and "icing on the cake", the fights are very well orchestrated (one or two small mistakes in connections, but nothing serious). For the most sentimental, there is even a romance for teenagers (even if Alita is over 300 years old)
For the touch of black humour, the way "Chiren" (Dr. Ido's ex-wife) goes to Zalem is excellent ! ( brr... I pass my turn )

8 / 10

Last edited by malko; 06 August 2019 at 20:17. Reason: typo
Old 08 August 2019, 17:02   #2524
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Next movie I saw was Foreigner (2017) - It is just unusual to see Jackie Chan in movie that is not comedy. Apart from that, this movie even quite predictable, is well made action/revenge flick, with its light on old conflict (IRA / Ireland), terrorism and political games. Movie also sheds light on bureaucracy and slow and ineffective justice.

What makes this movie more interesting, swearing in Irish dialect... worth watching. Pierce Brosnan aged well, and delivers good performance, just as you could excpect from seasoned actor. It is almost hard to recognize him, specially since just day later I saw another movie with him that I will cover next.

7.5 / 10
I recently saw this one. There may be no humor, I still find it comical how Jackie Chan's character basically has only one purpose in the movie: to constantly antagonise people by being a human mosquito with explosives and traps. It's a bit cartoony actually.

Second comical thing: Pierce Brosnan speaking with an Irish accent. The dude is Irish, but I have heard him speak American for so long that it sounds fake!
Old 09 August 2019, 13:33   #2525
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

That movie includes some good swearing in Irish dialect.

There was more than 3 movies that I returned and did not watch, including Aquaman and Bumblebee. Probably will see to get Alita next to watch.
Old 11 August 2019, 23:54   #2526
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I saw Alita. It's... okay. Lots of CGI of course, but what movie doesn't have that nowadays. But the movie pissed me off a little - no it pissed me off a lot actually. It criminally refuses to use a buttload of very interesting looking characters it shoves in front of your face maybe once and then goes "nah nah nah, go look at these one-dimensional boring assholes instead" like Ed Skrein and Jennifer Connelly (don't get me wrong - she's great, she just isn't great in this movie).

Let me give the most shining example: Jeff Fahey is in this movie, mister Lawnmower Man himself. I love that man. Oh yes he is! Yes - he - is, don't keep telling me that he isn't in there, you just haven't looked hard enough because he's hidden under a big hat and gets to say one friggin' line in the entire movie! Do you know what I have to say about that atrocity?

6.5/10
Old 12 August 2019, 16:47   #2527
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post

'It' (1927)

My first 'Silent' movie - love love loved every minute. Clara Bow has such wonderful screen presence. Plotline (taken from imdb): A salesgirl with plenty of "it" (sex appeal) pursues a handsome playboy.

Whilst the transfer on the Laserdisc is perfectly watchable I'd love to see this have a new scan/HD release. The Laser I obtained was factory new/sealed from 1991.
You should watch Buster Keaton's The General next. It's available on a decent Blu Ray.
Old 12 August 2019, 22:29   #2528
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
You should watch Buster Keaton's The General next. It's available on a decent Blu Ray.
Thanks for the recommendation - I've just looked on Wikipedia where they link to the full movie - although I'd prefer to watch on a Blu-ray

I found these short films recently - find them both so fascinating.

The Policemen's Little Run (1907)

[ Show youtube player ]

Princess Nicotine (1909)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 August 2019, 00:56   #2529
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] Jeff Fahey is in this movie, mister Lawnmower Man himself. I love that man. Oh yes he is! Yes - he - is, don't keep telling me that he isn't in there, you just haven't looked hard enough because he's hidden under a big hat and gets to say one friggin' line in the entire movie! Do you know what I have to say about that atrocity?[...]
I don't know if there will be a sequel but if so, with the number of hunter warrior who died in this movie, maybe the "dog master" will have a bigger role in a sequel....
Old 13 August 2019, 09:50   #2530
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Now I hope there will be a sequel. Rodriguez is really good at writing oddball characters, I was quite disappointed he underplayed his own strengths.
Old 18 August 2019, 16:15   #2531
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood.

Far less often than should be the case you see a movie that makes you go "Now that was a friggin' movie." Hollywood definitely is one of those movies. Arguably DiCaprio's finest performance to date. His characters always feel a little off to me, like they couldn't really exist and there is usually just that sprinkling of over-acting in there that I have come to accept as his trademark. But his Rick Dalton - now that's a real person. The same cannot be said for Brad Pitt's Cliff Booth who seems a little too good to be true. The perfect best friend. But Pitt plays him to perfection, a reborn Tyler Durden.

The movie does the "Once upon a Time" moniker justice too. Movies that carry that name tend to be the true old fashioned moving pictures; they don't make a statement, they don't show any pretense, they don't try to outsmart you, they're simple movies about simple people living out their lives and we get to witness important events in their life that connect them to each other while we're hovering over their shoulders and are at all times one millimeter away from entering their minds.

That's all I'm going to say about it for fear of spoiling the few beautiful scenes in the movie that the trailers have not ruined, but I do have a warning to give before seeing this movie. The movie kind of expects you to know all about Charles Manson and what he did. If you go in unprepared you're going to have a few WTF moments. But just a few, for most of the picture it's not really a big deal.

Slow - long - dialogue-driven - humor - a sprinkling of over the top violence. Seriously: Tarentino's found the perfect recipe to make insane violence look stupidly comical, the entire room was laughing. You've got to see it to believe it.

8/10
Old 20 August 2019, 17:02   #2532
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

With my kid saw Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019) over weekend. Nice little action, but has not much to do with F&F franchise, except both characters are in there. Rename them and you have nice action movie without sports/modified cars expectations.

Couple nice cameos in movie and good performance by Idris Elba and Vanessa Kirby.

Solid 7 out of 10 for action and some stupid fun.
Old 22 August 2019, 12:54   #2533
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

MI-5 (2015)

Interesting little movie with Kit Harington as lead actor. For me, unexpected ending of the movie was what made it worth watching.

7/10
Old 23 August 2019, 17:11   #2534
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Mantrap (1926)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017119...2?ref_=nv_sr_2

Another great silent movie. The 'Grapevine' blu-ray isn't the best print of this (16mm), still watchable though. There is a Library of Congress DVD that showcased this movie a few years back but that's fetching big $$$ at the moment.

I've another pre-1930s movie scheduled for tonight - time to pour some bourbon and smoke those cigars (I don't do either, so will smoke something else)
Old 27 August 2019, 17:24   #2535
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Downsizing. A moderate interesting movie depicting a world where science discovers how to make people really small, which is deemed the one and only solution against earth's overpopulation problem. There is a huge bonus to joining one of the "small" communities - you instantly become filthy rich because your money is worth infinitely more when very small since you need only minute amounts of things.

So how do you make a story out of that premise? Well - you start with pointing out all the flaws in what should be a perfect life, beginning with the transition from big to small and basically leaving your old life behind and how economically it is a disaster. Then you break down the perfect world and show that even when starting over, humanity will just repeat all the mistakes again. Then you pile up the problems.

Sounds miserable right? Well it isn't, it's told in a lighthearted way through some fun characters. The highlight being Christoph Waltz's "Dusan", what a character. You've got to love to hate to love him.

Yeah it's a fun watch. Nothing stellar, just fun.

6.5/10
Old 30 August 2019, 17:41   #2536
DamienD
Global Moderator

This thread was getting way off topic with phone reliance, YouTube, ad blocking posts...

All moved here now: Mobile Reliance / YouTube / Ad Blocking etc..
Old 30 August 2019, 20:03   #2537
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
This thread was getting way off topic with phone reliance, YouTube, ad blocking posts...

All moved here now: Mobile Reliance / YouTube / Ad Blocking etc..
Nice, thanks D, I was wondering where that thread came from but it really should have been a separate thread to begin with
Old 05 September 2019, 20:31   #2538
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It was a long wait so the moment I could I ran to see It Chapter Two. At 10am because why not watch a horror movie in the morning like an hour after you roll out of bed

Oh baby, that was a good time. Nah the movie isn't scary, it's just the usual jump scare monster flick but all the jump scares are incredibly telegraphed which pretty much defeats their purpose - except that they happen pretty constantly so it keeps you on edge.

That is problem one that takes the scares out of the movie, here is "problem" number two: the movie is so-darned-funny. The humor in chapter one was pretty awkward because it was mostly the child Richie spewing out vulgar stuff but in the grown up version the jokes really land, constantly. Not only do the characters crack jokes frequently but the movie itself is pretty self-referential, it almost breaks the fourth wall knowing it is based on a book with a rather... flawed ending. This is not a horror movie, it's a comedy and a damned good one. Bill Hader is my new hero.

A comedy with really impressive monster designs and pretty much the most phenomenal sound design I've yet to experience in a movie; they went all out to make this one loud and in your ears bastard of a movie and I love it.

8.5/10 - pure entertainment.

Last edited by gimbal; 05 September 2019 at 20:39.
Old Yesterday, 15:34   #2539
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Was able to see some movies...

A star is born (2018) - not only that Lady Gaga knows how to act, but Bradly Cooper knows how to sing and direct a movie. Not sure why I haven't see it earlier (probably mostly because huge news cycle that followed), I really liked this movie. I have not seen earlier versions of this movie, so I can't comment on that, but whole story and specially Bradly's acting make for very interesting 2+ hours of good movie time. Also to mention Sam Elliot as Bobby, Jack's brother.

8.5 / 10

Aquaman (2018)
I will never be DC fan, but this movie is one of watchable ones, even I dislike whole idea and DC universe. This is most likely due to Jason Mamoa, who played Ronon Dex in Stargate: Atlantis. Surprisingly I did not recognize Dolph Lundgren in the movie.

7 / 10

Central Intelligence (2016) - This is not first time I saw this movie, still fun. The Rock and Kevin Hart are good comedy duo that somehow always work thanks to Hart's ability that anything he say can sound funny.

6.5 / 10

Bumblebee (2018)
Last couple of transformers movies were terrible, imho, and this is rare one that was OK, but I still don't understand how this fit into rest of transformers universe. To me looks like Hasbro is trying to milk dead cow for a while now. Probalby only reason this was watchable is Hailee Steinfeld, who acted really great in True Grit, version from 2010, as well some 80's vibe...

6 / 10

Last edited by Anubis; Yesterday at 15:46.
Old Yesterday, 18:28   #2540
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Bumblebee fits better in the Transformers universe than any of the other movies. You can hardly call it a dead cow, the movie was a huge hit.