English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 January 2023, 16:22   #1241
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutra80 View Post
I'm talking about m68k AROS (that's the only version I have experience with) with Amiga hardware, otherwise I wouldn't say "same software on the same hardware" because there's no way of natively running AmigaOS on anything else to compare.

By branch I meant branch of Amiga development. Every Amiga development is good (and wasn't some of AROS backported to AmigaOS4?). AROS is for Amiga what Debian is for Linux - it sets Amiga free from underlying hardware. Whether it's still Amiga then, is a debate that will find no definitive answer. To me Amiga is real hardware (today WinUAE) and AmigaOS. I personally have no use of PPC/AmigaOS4 or AROS.

My experience with m68k AROS is that if I run system software on the same Amiga or WinUAE configuration, it is slower than AmigaOS (significantly less compatible, less stable and incomplete). Really nothing to be ashamed of for something rewritten from a scratch with little development resources.
I use latest ROMs and releases from official AROS website.

Of course if someone runs carefully handcrafted (x86) AROS distribution with recompiled software the experience may vary.
with official AROS website you mean this?

https://aros.sourceforge.io/de/nightly1.php

then you use a nightly. That is only for testing commits, not one of the official distributions for users

Either you use one of the versions of Amigasystem or one of mine you find here http://aros-vision.de/

I would recommend Magellan (68k) or Scalos 68k. As name suggest using Magellan or Scalos as desktop. HDF version not yet updated at the moment. Magellan is most complete environment and my favorite.

To what you write... Yes partly slower but how much you see it depends on the software of course. Less stable I do not see, it is pretty solid (at least when I use it in WinUAE). And incomplete where? Basically you can add any amiga software and mix it with aros components so at least on 68k I do not see this. More the opposite, AmigaOS on 68k is rather incomplete in comparison. Less compatible depends how you define it. A lot of stuff works, some not. But that is the same on any variant of amigaos. Most compatible is pure 3.1...
Old 26 January 2023, 17:51   #1242
rutra80

I do try nighties from time to time out of curiosity but they're rarely usable.
I do have both your versions in use. They're great but neither Magellan nor Scalos is enough compatible and stable to me. I do run into too many applications not launching, graphics glitches, freezes, crashes (do I need some StackAttack for AROS on JIT?)...
On WinUAE benchmarks show very significant speed difference especially for disk and graphics. Intuition rarely finishes any benchmarks but again it may be problem of Magellan and Scalos...

@AMIGASYSTEM is your AROS 68k distribution already available for download?

EDIT: I want to clarify that Olaf's 68k AROS Vision distribution has no problems with the software he bundled - these work good. I have problems with other AmigaOS software that I use on AROS (due to AROS immaturity, not enough compatibility of Magellan with WB, or Scalos instability).

Last edited by rutra80; 27 January 2023 at 14:28.
Old 26 January 2023, 19:16   #1243
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

@AMIGASYSTEM is your AROS 68k distribution already available for download?
No at the moment it is not yet mature, as soon as AROS 68k will be independent without the need to use OS3 libraries, and when on WinUAE the graphics card will be smoother AROS One will be distributed again.

AROS One x86 and AROS One 68k, do not make use of Magellan or Scalos, but are based on Wanderer (the Workbench clone).

On AROS One all common files are recognized and associated with the best Player, all installed applications, including free Os3 applications, have been tested one by one, there are no applications that do not work.

Some demonstration videos:

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

AROS One x86 WHDLoad Games

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 January 2023 at 19:24.
Old 26 January 2023, 21:00   #1244
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
I do try nighties from time to time out of curiosity but they're rarely usable.
Freudian Slip?
Old 26 January 2023, 22:14   #1245
BippyM
Global Moderator

This thread is NOT about AROS... Get back on topic please and take AROS discussion to its own thread..
Old 27 January 2023, 07:40   #1246
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Ok getting back to 3.2.1 then...

Without being pushy or anything... do we have a roadmap of when are we expecting 3.2.2 (Feb-March-...).
I'm in full anticipation of the fixed Ram-Handler
Old 27 January 2023, 08:52   #1247
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
More the opposite, AmigaOS on 68k is rather incomplete in comparison. Less compatible depends how you define it. A lot of stuff works, some not. But that is the same on any variant of amigaos. Most compatible is pure 3.1...
Those statements are not correct.
Old 27 January 2023, 14:57   #1248
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Ok getting back to 3.2.1 then...

Without being pushy or anything... do we have a roadmap of when are we expecting 3.2.2 (Feb-March-...).
I'm in full anticipation of the fixed Ram-Handler

What's wrong with the Ram-Handler?
Old 28 January 2023, 12:11   #1249
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
What's wrong with the Ram-Handler?
Plenty

There are now some three months worth of bug fixes, changes and optimizations waiting to see a release. Some of the bugs are so old, they survived almost three decades of development work, performed by four developers, including yours truly. Putting your trust in the last guy to have reviewed the code which his changes were built upon (this includes a previous version of myself, of course) is dangerous.

The usual trouble of buffer overflows was to be expected, but there also was a disheartening number of integer overflows, misuse and misinterpretation of API parameters and not validating the parameters to begin with.

Basic functions such as Read(), Write() and Examine() were subtly broken. Not quite so basic functions such as ExNext(), ExAll(), ChangeMode(), MakeLink(), ReadLink(), SetFileSize(), SameLock(), LockRecord()/LockRecords() worked most of the time only because developers would follow the API documentation. Beyond these limitations, things only worked by a combination of luck and really dumb luck. If neither kind of luck was available, you'd be in for undefined behaviour very quickly.

My personal favourites among the (up until then) undiscovered old bugs involved the use of soft links with file notification, ChangeMode() not working consistently and closing a file always having the same "tragicomic" consequences.

mfilos is likely referring to the combination of soft links and file notification not playing together well, limiting their usefulness to exactly "none whatsoever". I found and fixed that one in November last year.

Because these and other bug fixes continued to move the total ROM space budget into a dangerous direction, size optimizations became necessary. Repeated review & rework of the code uncovered further issues, dead code, etc.

ram-handler is probably the operating system component which occupies the two top spots of importance in the operating system architecture and number of implementation issues.
Old 28 January 2023, 12:20   #1250
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Very nice! Thank you for your efforts, can’t wait to install 3.2.2 on my A4000
Old 28 January 2023, 13:58   #1251
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Thanks for the thorough explanation Olaf!
Can't wait for it
You all rox!
Old 28 January 2023, 22:29   #1252
salteadorneo

There is a problem with Sony floppy drives made from 2002 onwards and Alps floppy drives, HD floppy drives converted for use with the Amiga. They don't work correctly with the kickstar 3.2 trackdisk.device. I have checked with 3.1 and it works correctly. Write-read errors, do not finish formatting...
Old 29 January 2023, 10:27   #1253
mschulz

Speaking of AmigaOS 3.2…

Upon preparation for A37 event I have noticed that scsi.device seems to work bad with original A1200 hard drive. Can it be that it does not support CHS addressing anymore.? The drive is on 120MB beast without LBA after I have swapped it with more modern 120GB unit everything worked great.
Old 29 January 2023, 10:36   #1254
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Speaking of AmigaOS 3.2…

Upon preparation for A37 event I have noticed that scsi.device seems to work bad with original A1200 hard drive. Can it be that it does not support CHS addressing anymore.? The drive is on 120MB beast without LBA after I have swapped it with more modern 120GB unit everything worked great.
I had the same issue with my A4000D. I think I have posted about it in this same thread, never got a reply. My CHS drive was perfectly usable with the 3.1 ROMs but stopped working with 3.2. I have since installed a 40GB drive which worked without a hitch.
Old 29 January 2023, 22:40   #1255
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quick question:
Is there a tooltype that I'm unaware of or another way of configuring the RaWBInfo information window width/height (or a way to snapshot it's window)?

I found a lot of tooltypes and the only thing is if it starts centered or on top left or cursor position.
Using a 720p resolution the window is rather small for my taste and I have to resize it every time to see more tooltypes.
Old Yesterday, 00:28   #1256
Etze
A3000-Fan

SCALELAYOUTX=50
SCALELAYOUTY=50

This will open the window at 50% increased size.
Old Yesterday, 19:19   #1257
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Thanks a lot Etze...
For some reason I got tricked by the help due to the "Non Disk" window lol

Works just fine
Old Yesterday, 20:13   #1258
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Ok I found out some weird behavior on Help system while using VisualPrefs (I had to disable ALL of my patches until I found out which was the one to blame).

If for example you go into category 5. Workbench Programs --> Then to Multiview and scroll down then everything works ok (as in most help system).
If you go a little bit further down to the WBStartup category, then EVERY record like for example RAWBInfo shows mixed up fonts while you scroll down the page (in every way of scrolling).
That happens to very few categories and ONLY if you use VisualPrefs!

The most funny part though, is that IF you search for this category on it's own using the HELP command from shell...
for example: "help rawbinfo" then everything work's just fine!!!

I know it's not a thread concerning compatibility with a hack like VisualPrefs, I just found it weird and thought of sharing