English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 19 March 2018, 10:14   #1
plutonick

The Final Battle - WHDLoad save/load issues

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am having a similar problem with various WHDload games. They can't save or load. Most recent example for me is Final Battle. How do I make save/load work when using FS-UAE?
Old 20 March 2018, 09:07   #2
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Hi plutonick.

Maybe it's better if you open a new thread as, with the title of this one "Universe Save/Load issue", it's more than probable that nobody will come here to help you regarding the game "The Final Battle"

I never played nor tested "The Final Battle", so it's hard for me to be of any help with my first answer.

Nevertheless, I have found two different ADF of this game to give a try.

The latest WHDLoad installer (v1.1) has accepted both versions (I have named them v1 & v2). Slaves have been created under OS3.9.
Unfortunately none of these two installs succeeded in loading the game. I faced two different GURU meditation (if I recall correctly, 00000003 for the first install & 00000004 for the second install).

I then switched to OS1.3 to quickly try with JST (tried only from icon with default tool types, did not try different variations from Shell). Again, none worked

Then I try directly from floppy (to be sure the ADF were ok). Both versions did load but only the disk "Final Battle, The (1990)(PSS)(PAL)[cr SR - Valhalla]" allowed me to play the game (play is a big word here - see the game working would be better ). The version "Final Battle, The (1990)(PSS)(PAL)(FR)[b]" was stuck with a message asking me (again, and again, ...) if I wanted to "play again" .

I don't know witch version you did try ? ADF, IPF, original disk ?
As the game seems interesting, I can give another try with your disk, just let me know (but don't forget to open your thread ).
Old 20 March 2018, 11:12   #3
DamienD
Banned

New thread created
Old 20 March 2018, 11:16   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonick View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am having a similar problem with various WHDload games. They can't save or load. Most recent example for me is Final Battle. How do I make save/load work when using FS-UAE?
Make sure you exit the patch with the quitkey as only then the data will be saved. Or use "NoWriteCache", then data will be saved immediately.
Old 20 March 2018, 12:43   #5
plutonick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Make sure you exit the patch with the quitkey as only then the data will be saved. Or use "NoWriteCache", then data will be saved immediately.
Oh, I was saving and loading at the same time. Without quiting first. I found out about the 'sequence' later. I think it works now. Thanks.

I am using WHDload. My question is, once I save it, and quit. If I wanted to find the save and somehow copy it for whatever reason, where should I look?
Old 20 March 2018, 12:51   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonick View Post
My question is, once I save it, and quit. If I wanted to find the save and somehow copy it for whatever reason, where should I look?
It's usually in the directory where the patch is (or in the "data" directory). Unless "SaveDir" has been specified, then saves will be stored there.

Check WHDLoad documentation for more information.
Old 20 March 2018, 14:47   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

In FS-UAE there is a "Save States" sub folder for all kind of files that are modified/overwritten/saved. The folder name for each game is similiar to the naming structure that Retroplay uses for his preinstalled WHDLoad archives.
Old 20 March 2018, 17:28   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
New thread created
Thank you Damien
Old 21 March 2018, 00:26   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Hi plutonick.

Maybe it's better if you open a new thread as, with the title of this one "Universe Save/Load issue", it's more than probable that nobody will come here to help you regarding the game "The Final Battle"

I never played nor tested "The Final Battle", so it's hard for me to be of any help with my first answer.

Nevertheless, I have found two different ADF of this game to give a try.

The latest WHDLoad installer (v1.1) has accepted both versions (I have named them v1 & v2). Slaves have been created under OS3.9.
Unfortunately none of these two installs succeeded in loading the game. I faced two different GURU meditation (if I recall correctly, 00000003 for the first install & 00000004 for the second install).

I then switched to OS1.3 to quickly try with JST (tried only from icon with default tool types, did not try different variations from Shell). Again, none worked

Then I try directly from floppy (to be sure the ADF were ok). Both versions did load but only the disk "Final Battle, The (1990)(PSS)(PAL)[cr SR - Valhalla]" allowed me to play the game (play is a big word here - see the game working would be better ). The version "Final Battle, The (1990)(PSS)(PAL)(FR)[b]" was stuck with a message asking me (again, and again, ...) if I wanted to "play again" .

I don't know witch version you did try ? ADF, IPF, original disk ?
As the game seems interesting, I can give another try with your disk, just let me know (but don't forget to open your thread ).
Just for information, i have bought a little while ago the game The Final Battle french release.

They only translated a little part of this game (they did a pork job :/ )
Old 21 March 2018, 00:44   #10
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Just for information, i have bought a little while ago the game The Final Battle french release.

They only translated a little part of this game (they did a pork job :/ )
Would you mind sharing it ?
Old 21 March 2018, 11:25   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

yes, but whdload only, the game is copylocked.
Old 21 March 2018, 13:16   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

ok
Will give a try with JST and if doesn't work will play under 3.9

Edit: The WHDLoad installer does not mention support for the French release. Is the WHDL install working because the translation is "bad" ?

Last edited by malko; 21 March 2018 at 13:21.
Old 21 March 2018, 13:57   #13
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

mmhh i don't know, but was very surprised to see that the translator only translated 15% (not more!) of the english text in french. disappointing.
Old 21 March 2018, 18:14   #14
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I don't have your knowledge for extracting texts from games (ref. to Flight of the Amazon Queen) but what about if this one is the next ?
If you can extract the texts, I help for translation. What do you think ?

In the meantime, let me know where I can get the whdload french version.
Old 21 March 2018, 19:14   #15
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
I don't have your knowledge for extracting texts from games (ref. to Flight of the Amazon Queen) but what about if this one is the next ?
If you can extract the texts, I help for translation. What do you think ?

In the meantime, let me know where I can get the whdload french version.
It won't be easy, as this game was compiled, and not made in ASM68K.

CTraw version zoned
Old 21 March 2018, 21:08   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
CTraw version zoned
Got it. Thanks .
Will give a try.
Old 22 March 2018, 01:27   #17
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
mmhh i don't know, but was very surprised to see that the translator only translated 15% (not more!) of the english text in french. disappointing.
Gave a quick try... "15%" ? You are generous .

Ahhh... our mother-tongue, the mother-tongue of Turold, Gombaud, Pascal, Molière, Racine, etc. is not respected