English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 17 March 2018, 12:47   #1
gerald

Hello from Scotland

Hi all,

I'm Gerald and I look after the Repton Resource Page (which has never appeared on the Amiga, disappointingly).

My interest is mainly with the Acorn machines (BBC Micro, Acorn Electron, Acorn Archimedes, RiscPC, etc.) but have got interested in the Amiga, or rather the emulators, through a bit of an odd passage:

On my Repton Resource Page, I decided to add in maps and walkthroughs for the very similar Bonecruncher game, also available on the BBC. I then found out it was available on the Commodore 64 (which Repton 3 is also available for), and the Amiga (I since found out that it was the C64 where it originated from). I therefore downloaded FS-UAE for my Mac to play said game.

It was then I noticed that the file extension used for the Amiga Image files was the same as the Acorn ADFS image files. This became particularly important when writing my Repton Map Display application, and the supporting Disc Image Reader application, to distinguish between ADFS *.adf and Amiga *.adf (and, as it turned out, ADFS *.hdf and Amiga *.hdf).

So, despite being an Amiga newbie, I did actually own two of them, in the past (an A600 and an A500, IIRC)...but never used them because I could never work out how to!!!

Aside from Repton Resource Page, I also have my own page at www.geraldholdsworth.co.uk, where I share PHP/Javascript/CSS/Delphi/BBC BASIC code, some documents I've written/am writing and some Windows applications I'm writing.

Look forward to speaking with you during my time here...and hopefully I don't embarrass myself with my lack of Amiga (or Commodore) knowledge.

Thank you,

Gerald.

Old 17 March 2018, 12:51   #2
chip

Welcome to the forum gerald

Here you will surely increase your Amiga knowledge
Old 17 March 2018, 18:57   #3
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Welcome aboard Gerald!

Tain - you'll not be making it to many meets then Lovely part of the world to be though.

Cheers,

Graham
Old 17 March 2018, 20:58   #4
plasmab
Banned

Tain is closer to where i'm from. Live in Glasgow thesedays.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 17 March 2018, 21:40   #5
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Welcome to EAB Gerald, you should enjoy this site, great for most things Amiga related. Incidentally, Scotland is a beautiful country.
Old 18 March 2018, 20:51   #6
gerald

Thank you everyone. It is nice to be here and to get involved.

I'm not from Scotland, originally. I moved here from London about 9 years ago. Much quieter for me.

Old 18 March 2018, 22:45   #7
Overlord
Overlord

I'm a noob from Scotland as well. Also loved ACORN computers. I never found out till recently that ARM are the most popular chips on Earth in the smart phone era.