English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 September 2017, 01:50   #1
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Helping out an Abused A4000. Zorro riser board stuck?

I have given up for now but I need to pull the Zorro slot riser out from an RevB a4000 mainboard!

It will not budge... I gently rocked it back and forth a couple times, pushed down a bit, then pulled. Did this a few times but no. I decided to walk away for now.

The poor machine is in a right mess! Nearly every sqaure inch of steel is manky, rusted etc. Rust is worse near the back end.

Is there a right way to do this? starting to get the idea I have to approach this with the mind of a classic car owner lol... would contact cleaner do the job?
I do not want to damage anything though!
Old 07 September 2017, 03:33   #2
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
I have given up for now but I need to pull the Zorro slot riser out from an RevB a4000 mainboard!

It will not budge... I gently rocked it back and forth a couple times, pushed down a bit, then pulled. Did this a few times but no. I decided to walk away for now.

The poor machine is in a right mess! Nearly every sqaure inch of steel is manky, rusted etc. Rust is worse near the back end.

Is there a right way to do this? starting to get the idea I have to approach this with the mind of a classic car owner lol... would contact cleaner do the job?
I do not want to damage anything though!
For the Zorro Busboard, you should try to rock it as you did. Try to use your other hand to secure the motherboard/connector so you're not flexing the motherboard too much. This might actually be easier when it is mounted in the case at least it's less nerve wracking for me to do it while it is mounted.

You could try spraying something like contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol on/in the connector to "grease" it a little bit, but you want to remove it when you do that otherwise the contaminants might gel into place and it might become more stuck. Keep in mind if you use contact cleaner it may leave a conductive residue leading to short circuits, you don't want that. So if you use contact cleaner make sure it is either non-conductive or you flush really well afterward with Isopropyl alcohol.

The other idea is applying a little heat like with a hairdryer. Be very careful doing this, if you use any chemicals as above they are flammable. Don't use enough heat to melt plastics otherwise you just made the problem worse. Basic rule: if anything you are heating gets too hot to touch, that's too hot. However if you heat it and bend the motherboard too much you can warp it or break tracks or SMD pin connections.

As far as the rust goes, you can use try one of the rust-converter spray paints. Practice on an old PC case or something otherwise you'll get drips, oversprays and you might have to sand it down. Of course this will no longer look original but that's just the internals. For the exterior case use the rust converter paint as a base then repaint with whatever color you want.

It kind of depends on how much time you want to spend on the project.

Now I want to rehabilitate another A4000.
Old 08 September 2017, 12:39   #3
ElectroBlaster

I found a place local that does metal, paint and they will do all sorts from a single bit right up to large projects! The bit that made take notice is, they can do retro computer cases all sorts, powdercoating, electroplating etc.

So I will get in touch with them and quote a total case refurb, not sure about the front bezel though... that is in a mess as well

I am going to have another go with the zorro board, I also noticed something else I am a bit wary of, the cpu card does not have its plastic standoff's so it is flying with no support! its that supposed to be like that?
Old 08 September 2017, 14:50   #4
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
the cpu card does not have its plastic standoff's so it is flying with no support! its that supposed to be like that?
No. But those kinds of legs are a standard thing so you should be able to get hold of them easily enough. Get some spares while you're at it.
Old 11 September 2017, 00:37   #5
ElectroBlaster

Managed to get two unused sets of them!