English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 June 2015, 22:45   #1
MrFluffy
furtling tinkerer

A2620 and gvp hc8+ scsi clash

Hi all, I'm slowly getting my a(b)2000 into shape, and I have a gvp hc8+ scsi setup with 8mb of ram and a scsi2sd drive in it booting from micro sd.
I've just got my sticky mitts on a A2620 accelerator card for the same, which gives more cpu speed and a 68020 instruction set with mmu and fpu.
Kickstart chip is 3.1 40.063 and I can boot the a2620 from floppy (gotek..) and run sysinfo to confirm its active when the scsi card is out the chassis.

However, when I put both cards in at the same time, they both want to live at the same address in the memory map, namely $200000. The A2620 wants to live there, and the ram expansion component of the gvp scsi the same.
The A2620 has 4mb of ram onboard, so I have tried disabling all the ram on the hc8+ and it stops showing in sysinfo board lists, on the a2620, and both and at no stage does it go active, unless I remove one or the other from the machine.

Now given the A2620 is booting under 3.9 kickstart and workbench, does that mean its already on a later rom, and if so, is it the gvp I need to upgrade the rom on, or the accelerator, or both? Or do I need to give up on the gvp at the same time as the a2620 and source a different scsi card, or accelerator?

I just wanted to try whdload out for some stuff, I think the gods of fate are having a good laugh at making the hard drive and required accelerator cards incompatible.

Any experience with this combo out there?
Old 28 June 2015, 15:22   #2
Codetsu

i have same setup on my A2000
A2620 2mg ram
GVP scsi +2mg ram

if one cards have full 4mg
memory areas overlap
none of cards work at same time

if i remember right orginal ROM work some Zorro mem cards whit full 8mg
+ 2mg on turbo board but you can only use 1.3kick rom
newer Roms overlap whit A2620 memoru space

after Rom update none of my 4 Zorro mem card do not work whit
A2620 turbo
Old 28 June 2015, 21:38   #3
MrFluffy
furtling tinkerer

Thanks for your response. I thought I had tried 0mb on the 2620 and 0mb on the gvp at the same time to eliminate both from clashing in the memory map but it didnt seem to work, I'll try 2Mb enabled on both and see but I don't have a earlier rom to try that too yet but interesting on the ks version too, I know the memory map moved because all my demo's from the period only work on ks 1.2 for the same reason!
I have a kickstart switcher and a 1.2 rom on its way so maybe that will work or I will have to find a 1.3 rom to test.

Sorry I dont understand your last line "after rom update none of my 4 zorro mem card do not work with a2620 turbo", do you mean you updated the rom on the A2620 and it fixed the issues with your zorro ram cards?

I have a adapter for my eprom programmer coming and some spare eproms, I'll try to update both the version of firmware on the a2620 and the gvp when it arrives.
For now, I'm booting from gotek and using my tandem ide card and a supra 6mb zorro memory card and it all works, but the ide is not autobooting.
Old 28 June 2015, 21:52   #4
Jope
-

The most recent A2620 ROM makes the turbo incompatible with Zorro RAM boards. The older, more compatible ROM only supports up to Kick 1.3.
Old 29 June 2015, 13:37   #5
MrFluffy
furtling tinkerer

Interesting, I have kick 3.1, and its sharing the bus with a 6Mb supra and the ide controller at the moment and working and booting. Its only the gvp which it gets upset with.
Old 29 June 2015, 14:40   #6
Jope
-

Which ROM do you have? We burned the final one (rev 7 I think?) for codetsu's A2620.
Old 29 June 2015, 21:45   #7
MrFluffy
furtling tinkerer

as on irc, no idea. How do you tell the rom version besides plugging it into a prom reader and dumping it?
Sysinfo doesnt show rom version, nor does configuration dump under workbench and the early boot menu accessed to disable the 68020 and or boot amiga unix doesnt show any versioning, but I read that amiga unix option in the early boot indicates its a older rom which is bizarre because its working under 3.1 ks.

I had a look at the memory location named above with asmone, but it'd be too easy if someone had written "version xyz" encoded into ascii in the header somewhere wouldnt it...

Have to wait for my eprom stuff to turn up so I can do some more experimentation.
Old 01 July 2015, 09:04   #8
MrFluffy
furtling tinkerer

Ugh it cured the problem in the worst kind of way last night.
Went to power on A2000, black screen, removed all the cards, still black screen, removed accelerator and same.

After some guidance from a helpful chap on irc it has lost the timing signal from the psu and a cap had broken at the front from old battery acid damage, so soldered in hook up wire to bypass the damage track and put a new cap in and moved jumper j300 to the internal source and it came back to life.
However it now has no dma on the zorro bus, so every card inserted which uses dma comes up red in autoconf. So no memory, scsi etc, although my tandam ide card is showing up ok in autoconf but doesn't load once its booted. Tried reseating buster but no change.
So now, I'm back to a a2000 with gotek alone until I can find out what has blown